What's new

Cabin Fever 2011 - snowed in (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We, in Atlanta, are snowed in due to the snow storm on Sunday night, and with icy road conditions for the past 2 days, we are snowed in for Wedneday as well, and I'm finally hitting cabin fever, and there's a possibility that the roads won't thaw out for Thursday either, so it might not be until this Saturday before the roads are thawed out enough for safe driving.

I guess I'll have to catch up on some of my movie stack, as I've been clearing off the DVR, and will try to get up to speed on other stuff as well but it's just been a weird 3-4 days so far.

Anyone else dealing with cabin fever (now or in the past)?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
We had a blizzard here in NY a couple of weeks ago. Took them 2 days to plow my street, and I couldn't go anywhere until they did. First day was great. I found it relaxing to have an excuse to do nothing and go nowhere. By day two, I was out of my mind. I never knew before that Law & Order in any of its versions airs 17 times a day. Ack.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It snowed in PA a few days ago (nothing crazy but enough to keep me off the roads for the day) so I re-read the Ex Machina comic book series.

It's snowing right now and I'll probably read The Shining tomorrow.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, in spite of the notion to do otherwise, I went ahead and cleared the ice/snow off the old car (this one is my "backup" car, about 17 years old now), and it surprised me by actually starting when I cranked the ignition. Good thing I replaced both the battery and the alternator last year when both of them died at different times of the year.

Getting out of the neighborhood was the trickiest part of my drive since there wasn't so much traffic as to wear down some grooves to the street level, so I was slushing around on the turns, and hoping I wouldn't get stuck on icy inclines. But I made it to my work place, did an hour's work, took photos of the parking lot all around the building, uploaded those photos to facebook to let me co-workers know what sort of mess awaits them should they go into the office tomorrow. I have no idea where everyone will park at my office, as I figure only 20% of the parking spots can be parked in, the rest are iced over, and will require a lot of road salt to turn the ice to mush.

Afterward my office visit, went to the grocery store and loaded up on comfort food, way more than I would normally buy in 6 months, but I also got stuff that didn't require heating, in case we lose power in the thaw-out period coming up in a few days. So I'm set for food, munchies, and drinks for now. Now just waiting for warmer temperatures...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's one of the reasons why municipal taxes are so much higher in the Northeast and Midwest. Plows and rock salt are expensive!

I can tell you I'm getting sick of shoveling, though. This was the third time we've gotten nailed in the last month. Probably 10 inches to a foot by the time all was said and done here. Spent the morning helping my dad dig out my parents' driveway, then spent the afternoon clearing the parking lot at my office once he was able to dig his way out of his own driveway. When I was a kid, I loved snow days. Now they're just a giant pain in the ass.

One of our suppliers is located in Calhoun GA, and they've been closed all week. The weather patterns for your region has been very weird this winter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As a resident of upstate New York, I see the "-aclypse" and "-ageddon" neologisms for the Southeast's snow problems and feel this is obviously the You-Should-Spend-A-Few-Bucks-On-Snowplows-And-Road-Ice-aclypse.

:)

I'm in Boulder this week on business. It's been frigid. Hoping the airline problems in the SE and NE don't prevent me from getting home tomorrow.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The weather patterns for your region has been very weird this winter.

Yeah, this is the first time I had ever seen a white Christmas.

As a resident of upstate New York, I see the "-aclypse" and "-ageddon" neologisms for the Southeast's snow problems and feel this is obviously the You-Should-Spend-A-Few-Bucks-On-Snowplows-And-Road-Ice-aclypse.

It doesn't happen enough here to justify the expense.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With all the budget cuts in this area, there is less money for snow removal. In past years, a significant snowfall would be cleaned up the next day around here. Now, though, it can be several days before all the roads are cleaned. With the storm that hit us before the holidays, it was four days before the road I take to work was completely cleaned. Some of the freeway exit ramps still had significant ice patches a week later. It certainly makes driving more interesting.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I wished I lived in a part of the world where it was acceptable to be snowed in. We've been getting unusual (even for my part of Canada) heavy snows this past week. That Wovel should be sent to every house via government program!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ThomasC

I have a snow thrower, but the Wovel looks like something my brother might use. He refuses to buy a snow thrower....Thomas, how much effort actually goes into tossing the snow with the Wovel? Does it take long to get used to using it?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Carl Miller It didn't take any time for me to get used to it since I had seen how it worked before I got it. This is a pretty helpful video:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMidmbYJdlg]

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
What a great pic, Mike.

Here's hoping the Sox can take on the Yankees. I know that's the only thing youse have on your mind. Still.

It is a beautiful pic, Mike

*smack*

Those are the breaks.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Today was one of the worst we've had in a while. Only three inches of snow or so, but freezing rain for hours and hours. After shoveling the office four times, everything still had a glaze on it when I left this afternoon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Today was one of the worst we've had in a while. Only three inches of snow or so, but freezing rain for hours and hours. After shoveling the office four times, everything still had a glaze on it when I left this afternoon.

You got that right, brother!

I'd much rather have a couple feet of fluffy white snow than that mess we got yesterday.

These were the three most common activities in the Albany-area yesterday...and there is still a snow/freezing rain mix coming down this morning! (All photos courtesy of the Albany Times-Union.)

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
I grew up in Buffalo NY so no stranger to snow, I now live in Beaufort SC between Savannah and Charleston. I feel for ya'll I have a niece in Atlanta and that must have been hell (cold hell) read the stories about truckers stranded on the highways with little snow but ice all over the place. We didn't get any snow but got the cold, highs in the 30's and lows in the 20's...being on the coast with high humididty 35 degrees is cold! We did warm up enough this past weekend to get in a round of golf! I don't miss the snow...well ,at least shoveling it! Just think we still have 2 more months to see what mother nature may bring. Has been a wacky winter so far.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I chuckled when my local friends referred to snow/ice conditions in Atlanta as being in "Hothlanta" last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks