What's new

Blu-ray Review Cabaret Blu-ray Review (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Spent a relaxing evening in my home theater room watching
Cabaret on Blu-ray.
Outstanding presentation through and through. Want to thank
the folks at MPI and Warner for their efforts in bringing this film
to high-def. What a sensational motion picture.
Watching this film only makes me yearn for All That Jazz,
which I don't think we are going to be waiting too much longer for.....
Auf wiedersehen.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Finally watched this last night. Love the look of film about it. Even though I was pretty young when I first saw it, I recall being aware of the grain at the time. The highest compliment I can personally give a film transfer is that after a minute or two I forget the technology and just enjoy the film, and that's how I felt about Cabaret. The color is the best I can recall it every being on home video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I never watched Cabaret all the way through. I knew the music by heart as a child. However, I found the film rather boring in my youth -- no surprise as it deals with adult themes. I often nodded off after the first 30 minutes. Last night was the first time I sat and watched it in entirety. Though the film is a little long in the tooth, I was quite happy to see that most of the drama was evenly distributed among the Cabaret sequences (which are simply amazing to watch). As I sat and watched the Cabaret sequences, I really took notice of the photography. The Cabaret looks appropriately smokey and dirty. I love the fact that the camera was put on a track that slid behind the audience so that "they" became as much of the action as what was happening on stage. I loved the fact that a waiter or patron often got in the way of a performance shot. All of that attributed to a heightened sense of realism. Finally, say what you want about Liza Minnelli. She was superb in this film and certainly deserving of the Oscar. However, quite frankly, she was drowned out by Joel Grey, who I was completely captivated with in this film. What a sensational performance by that actor. I have never stopped being a fan of his since first seeing him as the Emcee.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Ronald Epstein said:
Though  the film is a little long in the tooth,
Has the film really dated that much? It is a period piece, after all.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't know if "dated" was what I was going after. I just felt the story/dialogue moved along rather slowly at times.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
KMR said:
Has the film really dated that much? It is a period piece, after all.
I certainly didn't think so, unless slower paced drama is considered so these days. I was most impressed that the film largely stayed true to the time period it was presenting and didn't try to contemporize itself too much like some period depictions often do. Perhaps some of the subject matter was more shocking or new to 1972 audiences but I didn't personally find it to date the film to any considerable extent

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Ronald Epstein said:
I don't know if "dated" was what I was going after.  I just felt the story/dialogue moved along rather slowly at times.  
Then something else would have been better. "Long in the tooth" generally means "old".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
LONG IN THE TOOTH A women who has passed her prime "Hey John, is your new secratary hot?" "No, she is a little long in the tooth."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks