What's new

Ca someone recommend a decent Region 1 release of IN WHICH SERVE? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Having purchased the David Lean Box set from Korea that MGM cancelled in the states, the only remaining film of the sixteen he made that I need to purchase is IN WHICH WE SERVE, which Criterion released as a laser disc but has not gotten around to on DVD. This must be a public domain title as there are zillions of editions out there, but is there a truly worthy Region 1 version available? Good contrast, sharpness, with minimal scratches, etc.? Please share any information! Many thanks in advance.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Well--much to my surprise--MGM finally brought out the aborted Alfred Hitchcock Collection last year so something tells me the David Lean Collection (IN WHICH WE SERVE, MADELINE, BLITHE SPIRIT, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, THIS HAPPY BREED, etc.) is rotting in a warehouse still. Never say never, but the economy is going to trump a lot of dvd production.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I will recommend one when somebody produces one.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I ordered a Korean box set of David Lean, which has nine titles, one fewer than the announced/cancelled domestic box set...this one does not contain IN WHICH WE SERVE. I am seeking a Korean edition of that single title now. I am guessing the transfer would be similar to that MGM would have released, except with the addition of removable Korean subtitles. In any case, the set is costing me $50.00 including shipping, and I will let you all know how it looks when it arrives.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I've been dying for a decent R1 release of BLITHE SPIRIT for years now. The R2 is okay but the PAL speed-up is too distracting. Besides, I'm hoping the MGM produced disc might be sharper.

I've never seen IN WHICH WE SERVE (I'm ashamed to admit) but I'd like to.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Your referring to last year's newly restored version Will? PAL speed-up issues aside (sorry, I grew up with it) IMHO it's an absolute peach (as is the newly restored IWWS).

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I can't recommend a good DVD version, but it's been on MGM's HD station (and looked great), so I am hopefully a DVD will be coming out in the future.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks