What's new

Bye, Bye Tru Calling? (Not yet!) (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I remember watching the pilot and it really didn't catch my interest... I like Eliza Dushku and I hope they can find a place for her on tv if this show doesn't make it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sounds like it's getting the "Miss Match" treatment.

It didn't catch my interest either, but would like to see Dushku in something else.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's improved some since the pilot, although it always seems really close to flaming out.

I don't know how big a deal this is, though. Tru had a short season last year, if I recall correctly, and if Fox is looking at another 18-episode season, the delay might be a good thing the way it probably will be for 24 and Alias. The show's ratings were always somewhat flaky, so it might be wise not to start the new season right when sweeps starts and affiliates are impatient.

Of course, the other issue is that ratings aren't the only thing that's been flaky about this show. It's had a lot of mid-season cast changes, a couple more new characters are being added for the new season (including Liz Vassey! yay!), and they brought Jane Espenson and a couple other new writers on board. I've always had my doubts that this show was sustainable over the long term, and I wonder if the producers aren't hitting the wall.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to scream out 'nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! at first. This show has been a little strange, but good. However, I don't like Jack at all.

Ok, good writing and acting made him out to be a good 'bad' guy, but I can't see them two getting together.

Maybe they're waiting to check out the competition first. I'd hate to see this get dropped.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Dynamic" doesn't necessarily mean "romance". Heck, they're introducing another (I imagine) ill-fated potential boyfriend for Tru, a fellow student at med school. It might just mean that the producers want Dushku and Priestly to interact more, rather than just come at the same situation from opposite directions.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Fox keeps its tradition alive - this is like the 8th year in a row that they've pulled a show before the season starts.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I'm sick to effing death of this. Another decent show felled by the bargain basement crapfest of reality TV. If I thought it'd make a difference, I'd stop watching the few remaining shows on Fox that I still like.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm kind of sick of people blaming every potential negative development in television on unscripted shows, which are just cheap and popular and result in more original programming year-round.

Tru Calling has contained the seeds of its own destruction since the beginning; a series doesn't undergo the cast/crew shuffling this show has unless it's having a hard time figuring out how to make the concept work.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

Agreed.

I suppose the pitch sounded interesting, but with its limited premise, the show got really old really fast. It's a show based around a girl who travels back in time to relive a day, every single episode. It's tedious.

And the execution was also pretty poor. I never found any of the characters to be all that interesting, and the performances were flat. Eliza Dushku isn't the world's greatest actress, she's very limited, but she can pull off playing very sexy tough chicks in a way that many can't.

Genre shows really need to be able to take on a life of their own. Buffy the Vampire Slayer would've gotten really old if it were about nothing more than a girl named Buffy who slays vampires. The X-Files grew stale because they allowed it to just meander around and never resolve anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks