What's new

Blu-ray Review Bye Bye Birdie Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So as I'm understanding it, the pan-and-scan versions of Birdie done for TV and early home video had the credits redone rather than just squeezing them - I guess that makes sense. but it was never shown that way in a movie theater. Always as it is on this Blu-ray.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
haineshisway said:
So as I'm understanding it, the pan-and-scan versions of Birdie done for TV and early home video had the credits redone rather than just squeezing them - I guess that makes sense. but it was never shown that way in a movie theater. Always as it is on this Blu-ray.
Right. Credits were redone so they would fit and not having to squeeze the live action under the credits.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Gary16 /t/322968/bye-bye-birdie-blu-ray-review/30#post_3962194
Right. Credits were redone so they would fit and not having to squeeze the live action under the credits.

I guess this is why the VHS copy I had did not have the Columbia Logo on the front and started off with the newspaper headline.

BTW - the trailer has Anne-Margret singing the title song with a collage of newspaper headlines behind her. If that is way their original intention was for the opening number, I vote for the blue screen background.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/322968/bye-bye-birdie-blu-ray-review/30#post_3962210
BTW - the trailer has Anne-Margret singing the title song with a collage of newspaper headlines behind her. If that is way their original intention was for the opening number, I vote for the blue screen background.

Yes, somebody mentioned that in another thread, most likely RAH's. And I completely agree.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MattH. said:
This year would be The Music Man (and Gypsy, for that matter)'s 50th anniversary.
Yes, I had a senior moment - the fact that they have not done anything to celebrate the 50th anniversary for these two films is absolutely shameful. But, then again, we did get Mr. Limpet. Oy and vey.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I notice that Birdie, Music Man and Gypsy all have a "Technicolor" credit. I guess I should know this, but what did Technicolor really mean in 1962/63? Three-strip was long past, correct? So was Technicolor really any better at that time than any other process? I did see a 35mm print of Gypsy in the late 1990s that looked perfect, color-wise, and I am assuming it was vintage, although I can't say for sure.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw the tour with Tommy Tune and Ann Reinking, and have fond memories of it. The movie is a mess in comparison. It looks and sounds great on blu-ray, but I really think the stage version is better.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322968/bye-bye-birdie-blu-ray-review/30#post_3962324
Yes, I had a senior moment - the fact that they have not done anything to celebrate the 50th anniversary for these two films is absolutely shameful. But, then again, we did get Mr. Limpet. Oy and vey.

I agree with you completely, and I can't express my disappointment with no Gypsy on Blu-ray in any stronger terms. I don't understand the rationale behind their releases.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
bryan4999 said:
I notice that Birdie, Music Man and Gypsy all have a "Technicolor" credit. I guess I should know this, but what did Technicolor really mean in 1962/63? Three-strip was long past, correct? So was Technicolor really any better at that time than any other process? I did see a 35mm print of Gypsy in the late 1990s that looked perfect, color-wise, and I am assuming it was vintage, although I can't say for sure.
The Technicolor credit on these films meant the prints were dye transfer IB Tech prints. Those lovely things never fade.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MattH. said:
I agree with you completely, and I can't express my disappointment with no Gypsy on Blu-ray in any stronger terms. I don't understand the rationale behind their releases.
You and me both :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
While having You Gotta Get A Gimmick on blu would be nice, Rosalind Russell just kills Gypsy for me.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/322968/bye-bye-birdie-blu-ray-review/30#post_3962386

Really can't understand why "Gypsy" isn't coming for it's 50th - Warner is always so big on anniversaries

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
This may be true of these films.
However, often times "Technicolor" also meant Eastman prints made by the Technicolor company. Sometimes the first run would be dye-transfer and then subsequent runs Eastman depending on print requirements.
It also happened that "Color by Deluxe" films would actually be dye-transfer Technicolor in some cases.
I have a book with detailed information about the history of Technicolor including many details about individual films.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
GMpasqua said:
Really can't understand why "Gypsy" isn't coming for it's 50th - Warner is always so big on anniversaries
Could be they are waiting for the Barbra Streisand remake that may start filming next year. It could be the elements need work or that the DVD sold poorly. Or like Ben Hur they released an anniversary edition a few years late.
Bye Bye Birdie trivia Put On A Happy Face was actually a trunk song. This means it wasn't written specifically for the musical. It had been written a few years before and the song writers decided to use it in this show.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Garysb said:
Could be they are waiting for the Barbra Streisand remake that may start filming next year. It could be the elements need work or that the DVD sold poorly. Or like Ben Hur they released an anniversary edition a few years late.
Bye Bye Birdie trivia Put On A Happy Face was actually a trunk song. This means it wasn't written specifically for the musical. It had been written a few years before and the song writers decided to use it in this show.
They are nowhere near a Barbra Streisand version of Gypsy - no script, no deal, no nothing - but it does keep her name in the press, so that's good. While she looks very good for her age her age is at least twenty years too old for the part.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Garysb said:
I doubt the elements of "Gypsy" are in need of much work (Warners' most recent DVD - included in their 2009 Natalie Wood Collection DVD boxset), was a couple of notches better visually than the earlier (now OOP) snapper case edition from 2000. I also doubt the DVD sold poorly - both video and DVD editions have been strong sellers for Warners.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Steve Tannehill said:
I saw the tour with Tommy Tune and Ann Reinking, and have fond memories of it. The movie is a mess in comparison. It looks and sounds great on blu-ray, but I really think the stage version is better.
The stage sequel, however, "Bring Back Birdie", did not fare as well...Closed after four performances, in fact. :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bring_Back_Birdie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks