What's new

Buying this week, need help from Sanyo PLV-Z1 owners (1 Viewer)

Mark Beise

Agent
Chad, at the time I bought it I talked to a guy there named Andrew Renk right after I ordered it online. I paid 19 bucks to have the projector shipped 3 day air but just regular ground was free I believe. According to him the screen would be shipped to me for free. He also assured me that the projector was sent out the day I ordered it online when in fact it wasnt sent out until two weeks later so who knows whats up when it comes to these guys.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Do u think maybe they get their units ship directly from Boxlight or Studio Experience? If Robert says the screen comes from Draper, that would a good assumption considering the long wait times. Seems like these guys r saving some money on warehousing.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I believe it does come from boxlight/Studio Experience direclty. Someone else ordered from them and they had to call Boxlight directly to have it shipped.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I know there's not warehouse in Canada for boxlite so all orders have to first come from boxlite in the US which adds a couple of days waiting...but its worth it:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Finally got a tracking number for my screen. I'll be getting it on Friday the 19th. One month after I ordered it (and the boxlight).

Projectorshopper is slow, but you'll eventually get your stuff...

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Here's some images of Sherk that I quickly took tonight. I'm not sure why there's banding visible in the image b/c its not there on the screen. The screen image is a little sharper then these pictures make it out to be as well. I used a night mode with the flash off on my A60 with it on a tripod...any ideas?

Anywhy here they are

Shrek1

Shrek2

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Its a DDog painted black out cloth screen. It looks identical to the Stewart Greyhawk as far as black levels go and my whites are a tad whiter but its very close and obviously mine is much cheaper:D

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Well I guess I spoke too soon.

I got my screen today.

I paid extra ($130) for a 92" wide Dalite HighPower screen with my Boxlight.

Today I received a 92" wide Draper Matte White screen (a much cheaper screen)...

:frowning:

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I suggest emailing them and getting a refund of the $130. If they don't, you can stop the payment with your credit card company...

projectorshopper is too much! I think it is time someone files an official complaint with the BBB. Its rediculous to have all these orders having slow shipping and tracking problems but to receive the wrong goods is horrible!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
When I get time to take some more photo's...I'm up to my ears in work at the moment so time is short. I will try to get some more pictures up soon though.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Hey guys...I was wondering if u can provide info on what type of screen to use with 1HD/Z1, i.e., gain, etc. I'm looking to make my own screen so....I know I know...Being cheap is saving me a heap!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Eric there's nothing wrong with building your own screen. I've got screen samples from Dalite, Vutech and Stewart and only the Firehawk beats my DIY screen and its a $$$$ screen and the differences aren't all that great. There's several options for building your own screen but most involve painting some sort of substrate. In my case I built a 45 by 80 inch 2 by 2 frame and then stretched blackout cloth over it. You'll find blackout cloth at most fabric stores and it'll cost you less the $30 for it. From there all you need to do is paint it silver or grey. There's several grey paints that people are using as well as a silver mix. The grey paint will be easier to apply and you'll significantly boost your black levels. The only issue with grey is that they frequently make your whites appear more light grey which is where the silver paints come in. Silver tends to boost black levels to the same or similar degree as grey but it also tends to leave whites white. I'm using what's called the DDog paint formula which basically calls for a mix of white, glaze and behr silver paint. If you do a search on AVS for DDog you'll find there's a very long detailed thread on the topic...or click here

Mark Beise

Agent
Well, I finally got my projector and screen. Altogether it took 16 days to get the projector and 24 days to get the free screen from projectorshopper.com. It took awhile but projectorshopper did finally send me my stuff and in hindsight I shoulda been more patient especially at the price I was getting it for. Still, i wish they woulda been more honest with me as far as how long it would take for me to recieve my stuff. Now as for the projector itself. HOLY CRAP. I now have a movie theater in the lower level of my townhome. I watched "2001: A Space Oddysey" last night on it and it was almost like seeing it for the first time. I had a 65 inch Toshiba before and even though that was a fine tv this is just an entirely different experience watching it projected onto a 92 inch screen. I had no idea DVD could look so good even when projected so large. I get my high def tuner tommorow. Thanks to Robert Ma and everyone here for turning me on to this projector. Im in heaven.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
"Well I guess I spoke too soon.

I got my screen today.

I paid extra ($130) for a 92" wide Dalite HighPower screen with my Boxlight.

Today I received a 92" wide Draper Matte White screen (a much cheaper screen)..."

Just a follow up.
Projectorshopper has offered to refund the entire $130. A fair deal...

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Well, my time frame has come and gone and from all these talk about new stuff coming out in a few months (hopefully few weeks), I'll be holding off buying one for now. The Sanyo PLV-Z2 seems enticing as I would like at least a DVI connect so I can get one of those Samsung players that scale up to 1080i. This procastination is actually not my nature as I usually go out and get something so I can enjoy NOW! At least now I can start work on the dedicated HT downstairs and not be bogged down by watching movies like Matrix Reloaded.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Eric there's DVD players that are coming out with 1080i over component cable outputs now so you don't have to get the samsung/DVI combo if you don't want:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks