What's new

Buying this week, need help from Sanyo PLV-Z1 owners (1 Viewer)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Robert,
From reading in other areas you may want to find some of that thin Gray foam filter stuff(used in Vacum cleaners) and use that to cover up the vents so no dust can get it.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Cool. Which vents should I cover? The one on the side opposite of the lens in the main intake isn't it? And when you flip the cover open, is that a vent next to the lens?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Cool! Nice pics! I've decided to stay on the fence and wait to see what happens with the Z2 before i jump in, but seeing pics like yours sure makes it hard.... :)

RG

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Thanks. I am sure I'll be kicking myself when the Z2 gets here but the way I looked at it is by the time the Z2 came down to my price range ($1100) the Z3 would be just about to be released...

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Don't kick yourself (or even think about it). From the info I am seeing (granted, none of it official) the Z2 is not replacing the Z1, but filling in a slightly higher niche. It looks like it is probably going to run just below $2k.

If that is so, then it is likely to be a bit higher than my budget will allow and I'll be back for the Z1 :)

Supposedly, the Z2 will be shown at an IFA show in Germany this weekend, so perhaps we'll have more info on Monday.

RG

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I spent about 2 hours fiddling with the colors in video essentials. No matter what, when I got one color balanced another was off. I only have a blue filter for use with the color bars. Anyone know where I can get a red and green film strip to use?

In the end I decided I like either cinema with low or mid color settings and then drop the color down about 2 - 4 settings depending on which mode I was in. Green seems to be the hardest one to get right.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
A forum member emailed me these settings to try.

User mode...
Contrast & brightness 32
Color 30
Hue 32

Red 25
Green 23
Blue 29

Service mode...
(press and hold Input and Menu buttons on projector simultaneously for
seconds) WRITE YOUR ORIGINAL VALUES DOWN - press the power button on the
remote once to exit service mode...
1 red bias 140
2 green bias 130
3 blue bias 140

7 red gain 546
8 green gain 510
9 blue gain 546

These are much better than the default settings. Green is right on now, red is much better and blue is very close to where I want it to be. Overall it is the closest I've seen to a professional tuning of any set/projector.

I'd also like to note that I've found the source of my eye problem I was describing earlier. While some of the problem may be attributed to using a LCD projector, it's not the real problem. As I stated before it's the same problem I get when working on LCD computer monitors. Well, I actually went to the eye doctor way back when I first discovered the problem with monitors. I have perscription glasses to correct a slight astigmitism. I only use them when I have the problem working long hours on the computer. In fact I barely ever use them now since I stopped using a LCD monitor. Last night I busted the glasses out and used them while watching Lord of the Rings FOTR. What a difference.

I frequently took them off to compare. And with them off, every time I noticed the fast movement and slight defocus thing that was bothering me, I'd slap the glasses on and the image would be more focused. Not completly perfect but good enough not to bother my eyes.

So to sum that up, the problem is my eyes and the very large image on the screen triggers my astigmitism problem in my right eye. Next time I'll listen to my wife when she says she doesn't notice it, LOL.

Description of my eye problem and notice about focus:
Astigmatism is a refractive error where distant object comes into two focal lines perpendicular to one another. These lines may lie in any orientation and any position in relation to the retina. This is primarily due to the aspherical (toroidal) corneal shape.

A bent lens with a toric surface is used to correct this condition.

Astigmatism may occur by itself or may occur with one of the refractive errors but in most cases are less than 2.50 dioptres. Although for a similar degree of defect, astigmatic eyes suffer less blurness than the other refractive errors, uncorrected astigmatism often leads to eyestrain and headache due to the focal lines formed in the eye cause the eye's focusing mechanism under strain as it constantly exert effort for best possible focus.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Robert,
Glad I was able to help with the settings. I hope they can help others as well. I saved them for myself ...hopefully I will be purchasing this FP sooner than later.
Keep me posted with any numbers you change so I can have numbers to run once I purchase mine.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Het Chad..whatcha buying now?:) Let me know which FP's your looking at nowadays...I've in and outta the market everyday it seems..lol...first, I need to see one at my house in action, and I'm workin on it!...good seein ya..pm me later..tom

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Robert Ma:

I believe the Avia Calibrations disc had all three filters. Video Essentials just has the blue. If I am not mistaken, both will have NEW versions released soon (or may already be out).

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Hey Robert....I just wanted to ask u a question. How does the Z1 perform with 4:3 material...say Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Pokemom movie?

I am presently "previewing" an Infoxus X1 and its a knock-out on 16:9 and 4:3 but (there always is one right?), I'm seeing rainbows and have not gone to the point of these going away yet. I know the Sanyo performs great on HD and 16:9 but need input on the 4:3.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Out of the box I didn't particular like 4:3 material on it. DirecTV looked fuzzier than my RPTV but I have since made a lot of setting changes to the projector. I have yet to hook DirecTV back into it but I will tonight and report.

I did see some DVD 4:3 material with the specials on the Lord of the Rings TT disc. It looked as good as 16:9, just 4:3 :).....

Eric, are you near Bethlehem, PA? You're welcome to come audition the Z1 / 1HD.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I got a chance tonight to snap some more pics. I got 1 black & white in there from Blade II (on DirecTv). I need a new camera! I took about 35 pics and only 11 are worth posting. Also, there is blooming on white areas that the projector does not bloom so take these pics with a grain of salt. The camera is a 1.2 mega pixel that I got about 5 years ago.

http://users.erols.com/rmahle/theate...s/screens1.htm

All of the 4:3 material is DirecTivo and I definatley will say the new settings made a HUGE difference. The grainy original image is much better and I put it right up there with my RPTV for DirecTv now if not better. I am still going to use my RPTV for DirecTv though since I seem to like the lights on with regular TV and Xboxing.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Those are very nice, Robert, thanks a lot! The Rings shots especially - nice fleshtones. I'd be very interested in seeing more screenshots with fleshtones if you have any. I'll read back through this thread to see if you mentioned it, but where did you buy your Z1?

EDIT: Never mind. I see you got it from Projector Shopper. They have gotten some negative reviews from others on the web. I take it you are happy with your experience purchasing from them?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Robert...I'm about 1 1/2 hours from u. If I couldn't get a demo unit from someone I'll take up ur gracious offer.
I have another question though, how big is the 4:3 image compared to the 16:9? It is still "cinematic" in scale right? I ask because I know for a fact the Z1 is a native 16:9.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Robert,
Nice pics...you will have to PM me with all your settings so I can store them. I am almost 100% positive this is the FP I will be getting.....when?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Robert, thanks for posting the screenshots! I am *this* close (fingers held about an inch apart :) ) to just saying the heck with waiting and get the Z1/1HD.

RG

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I see you got it from Projector Shopper. They have gotten some negative reviews from others on the web. I take it you are happy with your experience purchasing from them?
I did have some trouble getting the tracking numbers from them and my shipment was delayed. In the end it was shipped directly from Boxlight.

About 6 days after I got it they lowered the price and I had to bust balls to get refunded most of the difference.

Bottom line is I would use them again when savings come into play. If they were selling something considerbly less I would not hesitate to buy from them. But I would never reccomend them or use them for items I wanted within 7 days or customer orientated transactions. I have also read stories and received emails from people like me where it takes 3 - 4 weeks to receive your complete order.

Chad:
I'm still using the same settings you sent me as described in the thread above.

Rick:
Do it and don't look back :) Seriously, for $1199 with a free 45 x 80 screen you can't go wrong. I would love to see this baby on a DYI or expensive screen. I needed the pull down though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks