What's new

Buying new 55 inch led tv (1 Viewer)

SAMMY12

Auditioning
Real Name
Garryh
Looking to buy a 55 inch led tv , I use hdmi from my pc to tv so smart tv not needed and same for 3d. So basically want a tv with an excellent picture. We. watch a lot of sports, movies,news. One week ago bought a Samsung 6030 from Costco but picture no matter what I do not sharp and colour the same so probably will return although the price of 880 Canadian along with 5 year warranty 3 years with square deal and 2 with Costco for 99.00 pretty good..

I could probably go up to 1600 American or thereabouts but picture is main thing. I talked to a tech at Future Shop and they said they could calibrate for 300 but I thought that was a bit much. Best picture I can get is with vivid and eco off.. The tv is in a moderately bright room during day and I notice the picture is significantly better as daylight wanes and a living room lamp is only soure of light so led being great for brighter rooms doesn't seem to ring true....hopefully some of you can advise models and manufacturesr i will be happy with my purchase.....thanks sammy12

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Garry. :)

Thats quite the bump up in budget but $1600 will get you a great TV. Keep in mind that light in a viewing room affects all TVs regardless of the display technology. Matte screens do the best cutting down on light reflections. A Panasonic or Samsung plasma will give you the second highest native contrast ratio on the market, only D-Ila can beat it. Plasma wont beat a LCD (LED) in brightness but it will beat it in every other way, better fast motion will be significant since you watch lots of sports. Spend some time at Cnet watching reviews for specifics on models.

SAMMY12

Auditioning
Real Name
Garryh
Thanks for the suggestions, The panasonic plasma tc-pst60 is rated very high by cnet and around 1300 American, 980 or so on Pauls tv seems like it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks again for suggestion as reviewers state that in a bright room it is almost equal to a led and blows away competition in a darkened room like I have after supper living in Canadian north......thanks sammy12

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Best picture I can get is with vivid and eco off

this comment is very telling. Vivid Mode and image quality have NOTHING to do with each other.

Assuming the calibrator knows what he is doing (and that is a big IF with FS and BB), the $300 would be the best money you could ever spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks