What's new

Buying from Canada or USA? Border Issues for the PTAE700U (1 Viewer)

GrahamTAK

Grip
Hi everyone,

I hope to purchase a Panasonic AE700 this July ('05), when I move. However, unlike the PTAE500, this projector has a large price difference in Canadian and US dollars. I have been quoted both approx $2,200 USD and $3,500 CAD. Considering the exchange rate (say, 1.21), the USD->CAD price is equivalent to roughly $2675 CAD. That's $825 CAD difference! I live in Ontario (Canada) and had intended to buy it from a Calgary or Quebec distributor to take advantage of a tax reduction... I may buy US now.

Here are my 5 questions!

Question 1) "Why is it so expensive in Canada?" Don't tell me it's the sinking US dollar, the exchange rate was similar when this projector was released.

Question 2) If I buy from the US, I understand the warranty may be void. Is this true?

Question 3) Is my projector going to get snagged at the US/Can border? Will this cost me an arm and a leg?

Question 4) How do I avoid these tarrifs?

Question 5) Why do so few of the distributors carry Panasonic, especially when the 700U and 500U have rave reviews?

Thanks all,

Graham

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Anthony from PlasmaDocs.com Forum Sponsor

We have some answers for you :)

1) Don't know probably MAP pricing differences or cost of import duties for Canada vs USA.

2) Warranty will probably be void... out of USA sale usually does for USA goods unless it has a joint Canada/US warranty.

3)Tariffs I would imagine would be a % of the sale or a flat fee. A guess at $45-50 American perhaps (don't quote us :)) don't really know.

4) Carrier pigeon, Stealth plane, Santa Claus :) ...scratch that last one, past the 25th already :b. Really no other way around it without doing something illegal.

5) Few carry them because of the authorization issue and because very few distributors authorized to carry them. They are very careful who sells their stuff on-line because of illegal sales.

Hope that helps.

GrahamTAK

Grip
Wow,

Thanks for the advice. My stealth bomber is on cinderblocks for the winter and is a bit of a gas guzzler. ;)

We'll see what things are like come July when I;ll be in the buying spirit.
Cheers,
Graham

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure probably by then there will be something else down the pike to dethrone the reigning champion of the HT world. It is like ping-pong LOL :D The 500U used to be the LCD HD champ then the SP5000 came out and now the AE700U. Sony now has out the new 6000:1 contrast LCD VPL-HS51 and the Sanyo PLV-Z3 LCD 2000:1 contrast is also in that ballpark of HD LCD units. Soon projectors will go the full HD 1920x1080p 3 chip LCD in the low cost segment probably by next December. What comes after that is anybody's guess.

I have been waiting for that holographic TV for a very long time now...about time somebody made it :D

Oh did I forget to mention the transporter for #4? :D My bad.

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
1. There are a lot of reasons for the price difference. Tariffs and exchange is just the tip of the iceberg. You can also compare a market of 30 Million people and one with over 300 Million. It was written up in one of my magazines once, wish I kept it.

2. The warranty is not really void. Warranties usually do not cross borders. If you purchase in the US, then the warranty stays in the US. The US warranty will not be honored in Canada. You'll need to send it over the border to have repairs covered.

3 & 4. Tariffs/ duties are based on the country of manufacturing. Included in the "Brokerage" are tariffs, duties, taxes (GST) and the actual handling charge of the brokerage.

The only way to avoid tariffs/duty is to buy Canadian made.
The only way to avoid the tax is the declare it a gift under $60 cdn (or $50 I can't remember). That will be impossible with a projector.

Best thing is to call Canada Customs, their also on the Internet. They have a better explanation of the charges. Or call a customs broker. Unfortunately when you add all the charges up you usually get close to the Canadian retailer's price.

Its a viscous circle. Been there, done that.

MikeGee

Second Unit
i was wondering as well why the prices were so crazy low in the states. I'm in canada as well and i was looking at a 1014tx receiver on ebay and it works out to a full $300can(at least) cheaper. I might look into how much it'd cost with customs.. cuz i dont want it to get to my door and have it cost like 3 times more.
But whats stopping someone from me getting it shpped to a friend i have in the states and having them send me it as a birthday gift.. who's to say my friend cant buy me a receiver as a present... I think the 60$ limit is kinda lame cause a gift is a gift.

GrahamTAK

Grip
I think the big US-based companies that sell internationally are in denial about the value of the US dollar. Everywhere I go, the price of something in Canadian dollars is still 1.5 x the US price, when it should be 1.3. I think on their end, they are setting the price here as much as they can. Hey, it's their product.

But if it's actually our Canadian boys overcharging when they don't have to be - match the international price or you won't sell it at all.

I have no advice or experience with customs. Perhaps calling them would help get an idea of tarrifs etc. To that end, I suggest using a friends phone and not giving your name!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
MikeGee; as a case against you I submit that if you keep your eyes open you'll beat most of the U.s. prices.

Etronics is selling the 1014 for $370+tax+shipping+duty+++

During the Christmas season I was able to get the 1014 for $500+tax FREE shipping.

Etronics total price $600

Best Buy total price $575 with full warranty!

Day to day the U.s. is cheaper, but you need to buy when you see a deal.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks