What's new

Buying advise for a Playstation 3 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Musta missed that, would have bit. Btw it killed me but I paid full retail plus tax for my new kinect. :) I've seen a lot more ps3 system deals than I thought I would and a lot fewer move deals than I thought.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toys R Us currently has buy 1 get 1 50% off on (nearly) all video games and accessories. The Move controllers are included.

Tempting. . .was forced to buy a new PC this week, though. :( (But :) on getting a new PC.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I heard people were buying Kinects on that deal (at the few places that have them in stock), maybe I will do the Move and get the Move Navigation that way. Thanks!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Amazon is doing a buy 1 get 1 50% off on a number of games and accessories too. I think the Move Nav is included but not the Move itself.

Thinkin' about Disney Family Hits and Warriors of Rock for $60 total. . .

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I hear that Guilty Party is a good family game for Wii and noticed it on there. Just suggesting this since you mentioned Disney games.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, I noticed that too. I REALLY have to cut back on the video game purchases, though. :)

That new Michael Jackson game looks fun too, but I'll wait for the PS3 version.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was at Costco today and noticed they have a new deal on the PS3. I saw this bundle a few weeks ago, PS3, one dual shock controller, one blu ray player remote, the game Uncharted, and some free music downloads. This was priced at $349.99. They've now changed the deal and added a $50 rebate to bring the price down to $299.99.

I'd rather have another dual shock controller over that game and the free music though.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got the Slim PS3 for myself for Xmas. I got the Costco 160gb bundle which included the Blu Ray remote, Uncharted game and music downloads, which I won't use. They had Gran Turismo 5, but was sold out when I got there. So I got Gran Turismo 5 at Best Buy, a difference of $5.

I found out that Best Buy has a Gran Turismo bundle for $349.00. Not bad, but it didn't include the remote, so it was almost a wash the way I went.

Here's a question, I won't open this till tomorrow. But I was checking the contents, it says it includes an AV cable, but I am betting that is not an HDMI cable. Does it come with the PS3? And if not, I guess I can connect it to my HDTV with the other cables it comes with and still enjoy somewhat terrific graphics? I'm guessing only certain bundles would include an HDMI cable. I should have remembered to check that out!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The remote is kind of pointless for blu-ray stuff because you can use the PS3 controller for watching stuff pretty easily. If it doesn't say HDMI then it's probably not an HDMI cable. The visuals will be MUCH better with an HDMI cable versus the one that's included, which is probably a composite A/V cable. I don't know if any of the current bundles include an HDMI cable. You can probably pick one up at Best Buy.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I disagree with your comment regarding the remote for Blu-rays on the PS3. Using the standard controller is nothing but a pain in the ass when it comes to playing BDs on the PS3. The two biggest problems with the PS3 remote is the lack of backlighting and the awkward placing of the stop button between the play and pause buttons.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I set up the player and had some fun with Gran Turismo 5! Works quite well, the supplied AV cable is the old RCA jack type. I'll get an HDMI cable. I did test a troublesome blu ray disc and it played on the PS3! (The Twilight Zone S1 set) I had not opened the remote yet, and yes, it was awkward to use the controller. I had to use the one screen thing so I could see what buttons to push! I'll have to see if there is a Gran Turismo thread! :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Awesome, man. The PS3 is still supposed to be the premiere Blu-Ray player (last I checked), and I'm glad it's working for your trouble discs. I saw a commercial for GT5 and it looks great. I've had my 360 for at least two years, but I'm still impressed by modern graphics.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, Morgan's out of his mind with that remote comment. :)

Don't buy an HDMI cable at Best Buy unless they're selling them for $10 now. You can order one from the Amazon Marketplace for under $10.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've also bought cables from Monoprice.com Patrick or another member here at the HTF turned me on to it. They've got all kinds of cables for HT and hi-fi. And great prices too! I'll see what they're asking for a HDMI cable.

I did a search and didn't see a thread for Gran Turismo 5 yet. Maybe I'll start one!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

One other bonus (seriously) is that with firmware upgrades, it will also support 3D, so you can try that out without having to buy a new BDP. Although you might need a new TV.

Hard to imagine back in the day, the PS3 was both the cheapest, and the best, BDP on the market. Then again, it was almost literally the first.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
For the sake of completeness, on the Twilight Zone thread in the TV shows on Blu Ray and DVD section, there is one post reminding me that the Twilight Zone blu ray would not play past the midpoint on his PS3. That's the same point I have a problem with on my Sony blu ray player! And several other members too.

So this sounds so hit or miss, some machines, PS3s and stand alone BD players and BD drives in computers, cannot handle the TZ BD.

Yee-Ming, in my mind the PS3 is a gaming machine first, that also plays BDs. Which is why I got one.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My comment about the PS3 controller being a good remote has two reasons justifying it: I bought the PS3 as a gaming system and I am cheap. I know the layout of the buttons without having to look (unlike a remote, which is useless in the dark) and would rather spend $20 or so on something better, like a used game at GameStop. Honestly, once you figure out a few quirks of the PS3 controller for use as a remote (primarily, the button layout, "Start" = Play/Pause, "Triangle" = function menu, and "PS button" = "go back to XMB") then there's really no need for anything else.

I'm a little surprised that you guys who think the remote is a superior option wouldn't have played with the controller enough to find out how relatively simple it is to use.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can understand once you can memorize which button does what function on the controller, it can work to control the blu Ray functions. And it makes a lot of sense. I tried it a few times on my PS2 when I was trying the DVD drive. I wasn't getting into it. The PS3's wireless controller is a huge upgrade, it makes gameplay freer! And it has the advantage as a remote for the BD functions, since it's not limited by the cable length, if you don't have the BD remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks