1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Wine Refrigerator

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Well-Known Member

This is a gift for my mate. Is it possible to get an adequate wine fridge for $200.00?
    Something from Sam's or Best Buy?
    I live in Texas...we don't have basements....it was 103 the other day.

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Well-Known Member

3. Henry Gale

Jimi,
    She'd like both I'm sure...it's just that having seen coolers that cost a LOT more, I don't want to purchase a piece of crap.
    Have you used one of these?

Henry

4. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Well-Known Member

Do you have a Costco in your area? Check them out there.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Well-Known Member

Do you have a basement? Wine is supposed to be served at "room" temp, but that was decided before climate control, so assume around 65 - 70 degrees fahrenheit, or the temp of your average cellar.

6. Henry Gale

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Well-Known Member

i dunno how much they cost, but from what i've seen, the "better" fridges have two separate climate zones.

something about white wine and red wine need to be kept at different temps.

8. ScottHH

ScottHH Well-Known Member

You can spend tons of money on a wine cooler. But as you noted, it's really just a refrigerator that is set at about 55 degrees or so.

Anything is going to be way better than 103 on the wine. If you spend more, you can get a nicer outside finish, or a two zone cooling system. A better unit may keep the temperature within a more narrow range. I see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with one like Jimi suggested.

9. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Well-Known Member

Check out Lowes and Home Depot. You'd be surprised at their selection and prices-- much better prices than what I found online.

10. Henry Gale

Thanks everyone!

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

But the 'racks' are what make the difference.

Depending on how many bottles, you may want to look at a 'counter-type' version. I saw a bunch at Home Depot that looked neat.

For some reason, the Home Depot links wouldn't work, but if you go to Home Depot's site and navigate to Browse and Buy Products > Appliances > Wine Coolers there's a 6 and 16 bottle 'counter' version for $99.

12. TedE

TedE Well-Known Member

You essentially get the same thing with these cheaper fridges. Mostly what higher end fridges will get you is more storage; there's nothing "cheap" above 30 bottles or so. As expected you'll also be paying for style, fit and finish, slide out cedar shelves, etc. I have a 30 bottle Haier from Best Buy and it's just fine for my purposes.

You can get acceptable results using a cheap-o model, too. I set mine for 55 and get ~59 on the top shelf and ~52 on the bottom. So, reds towards the top, whites (and beers for aging [​IMG] ) at the bottom.

13. Don Black

Don Black Well-Known Member

I own one made by U-Line. They are considered to be one of the "higher end" manufacturers. I can't really attest as to whether or not they are any better functionally than the ones made by Haier at Best Buy or Home Depot though.

The U-Line ones certainly look better though (they have a sturdier and sleeker feel imho), have three climate zones, and very nice sliding oak racks. The racks can be stained different colors if you want and the door can be mounted either with a left-side or right-side swivel depending upon your install space.

14. Henry Gale

I saw one of the U-Line models at Conn's this afternoon. Conn's was certainly the most entertaining retail experience I had today. A 60ish salesman approached and I asked him to educate me regarding the half dozen wine fridges on display. He spent most of the time explaining that one had the wrong price on it. When asked about the smallish $729.00 U-Line (an open invitation to SELL) he offered that he had no idea why it was so expensive.
    The capper however was his certainty that the cooler air was in the upper portion of the fridge. I'm so stupid I actually tried to convince him this could not be true. But he explained that he had read it in the manual....so. [​IMG]
    Anyway, moving along to Sam's Club...we found a Danby Silhouette w/2 zones and wood shelves for $278.00.
    It looks very elegant in the pantry with its little blue LED giving the temperature in each compartment.

15. Don Black

Don Black Well-Known Member

Cool! Oenophiles of the world unite!

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Well-Known Member

I just started with the hobby. So far I know Dog House chardonnay tastes kinda like turpentine. Thats what I get for buying wine marked-down to $4.99 [​IMG]

What should I try next: Merlot, Reisling, Pinot Noir?

17. PatrickM

PatrickM Well-Known Member

It depends on what type of wines you like. If you want something with a bite the Australian Shiraz's are great. A very cheap one to try right of the bat would be the Yellow Tail.

If you want something smoother you can try the California Zinfandel's. For some reason most wineries beginning with "R" make good Zin's.

18. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Well-Known Member

"If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot."
    "No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f*%king Merlot!"

Not really, I happen to like merlot. Personally I'm a big cab fan but there's plenty of great wines out there. South American wines are really getting quite good and are still a good value. The cab/malbec meritage from High Altitude is very nice and also quite affordable. Some other nice wineries (some affordable and others not quite so) include Sebastiani, Acacia, Rodney Strong, Heitz Cellars, Yalumba, Bodega Norton, Matanzas Creek, Kaiken...

Try everything! There is so much exploring to do.[​IMG]