What's new

Buying a PVR, which one?? (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Update: DirecTiVo subscription pricing change.
I've received a message on my DirecTiVo today stating that the montly subscription will drop to $4.99, annual and lifetime subscriptions will go away. People who have already paid for lifetime are, of course, exempt. Annual subscribers will be switched over to monthly with new pricing. The changes will take effect on November, 1 2002. AFAIK, standalone TiVos are not affected.

Brian_Hayden

Auditioning
Just an FYI before you buy:

I recently discovered elsewhere ( I'm trying to re-find it myself ) That Tivo2 is coming out this fall. ( hence a sale of the existing stock )

DirecTV is going to be aggressively promoting a unified SAT receiver with Tivo2 integrated.

From what I remember, Tivo2 basically utilizes better video compression for better quality while giving better storage usage. ( otherwise not too much change. It is just a customized PC, just like the x-box. )

The preferred setup uses a dual receiver dish.

A line I remember ( which is why I'm trying to refind it ) is about a planned existing client upgrade offer. I'm not sure if existing meant ANY existing DirecTV users (including any non tivo users) or only for existing TIVO integrated users.
Brian

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
How does one reliably record channels on a DVR when using a digital cable system? My digital cable box has an RF bypass which allows me to watch an analog channel while recording through the digital cable box to my VCR - which is a pain but it works.

But isn't the whole manner of recording different on a DVR? If I'm recording on the VCR, I know its recording and I can switch the RF bypass and watch something else. But if I have this Tivo or RTV programmed to record, how will I know if its recording something and not inadvertantly change the channel on the digital cable box?

Also, do the DVR's currently on the market offer a wireless (802.11) connection so I don't need to run ethernet cable to the unit?

Can you interface with the units with a computer in any way? Thanks

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I had a Tivo for a year & agree that it's great...but I resented the $200 lifetime subscription along with the purchase price.

For the past year I've had a Dish 501 PVR. After the purchase of the receiver there is NO monthly fee or lifetime fee...a huge plus.

I'm now investigating High Def satellite & OTA, but am reluctant to give up my PVR. Also, I don't want to wait for the future 921 receiver that will be a two tuner HD PVR from Dish and JVC. Would a DVD-Recorder work with a High Def receiver? I know that a few DVD Recorders also have hard drives in them. Even though it's a stand alone unit, it may solve the high definition issue.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just want to add my .02 cents on the subject. I have been a happy owner of a Sony Tivo (Series 1) for almost 2 years now, and I would never think of going back to those non-Tivo times.

I have not had any problems with my unit. I prefer the Sony Remote over the Peanut(personal choice). I have added a second hard drive for additional storage, and have added an ethernet card to it, so it gets the guide data through my broadband connection rather than my phone(at my previous residence I didn't even have a landline phone).

Join the TiVolution, you will never look back!

Shane Acker

Agent
Another vote here for TIVO. We got our Hughes DirecTivo at Best Buy last year at Christmas for only $69 and it was the best money I have ever spent. If you have DirecTV it is the best way to go.
They are right when they say that you will never watch tv the same way again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks