1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a plasma TV: local vs on-line?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jack_TN, May 6, 2003.

1. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Well-Known Member

I've been looking at getting a plasma TV and would appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of buying it locally vs ordering one on-line. I can save about $800 - $1000 ordering on-line, but was wondering if servicing would be a problem (and how are plasmas in general on reliability)?

I'm very interested in the Panasonic 42". Should the local Panasonic authorized repair center here where I live be able to service it?

Thanks,

Jack_TN

2. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Well-Known Member

I bought my Panny 42" on-line from an authorized dealer and saved about $1500 over local retailers. The Panny is double-boxed and strapped to a small pallet. The outer carton has a "shock watch" on the outside to indicate rough handling. Mine was shipped to California from Washington D.C. without any problems.

The consumer model Panny has in-home service, while the commercial display requires it to be shipped (at your expense) to service center. I you buy using a major credit card, you can double the warranty.

-Steve

3. Davis

Davis Active Member

Dell is running 20% off through Wednesday on plasma units. Their policy pretty much allows a full return for credit within 30 days. Hard to see where you could go wrong.

I have heard horror stories about some online suppliers, and the chances of problems with a plasma would really worry me.

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Well-Known Member

Rob
    Bought my 42" Panny thru Dell back in December and had no problems. Given the $ savings, that seems to be your best bet.

Rob

5. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Well-Known Member

I think that Dell only sells the commercial version, which does not have in-home warranty service (i.e you are required to send it to a service center at your expense).

-Steve

6. Jack_TN

Thanks to all for the comments. I knew that some places sell the commercial version of the Panny, but didn't realize the difference in warantees. I'll be sure to check that wherever I buy.

The money I could save by ordering on-line would sure help toward letting me get a better audio system to go with it [​IMG]

Jack_TN

7. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Well-Known Member

I've seen quite a few plasmas with bad pixels right out of the box so make certain the return policy is good.

Scott

8. Jack_TN