What's new

Buying a gun (2 Viewers)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
second the shotgun over pistol sentiments presented here, even smaller rounds are dangerous. 9 mm are smaller, but from what I have heard they can get even more house penetration than the large caliber guns. It's because the round is long and thin, so as long as it hits something soft (like human tissue or drywall) it just tunnels through and keeps going.
Glaser safty rounds are your answer. The minute they impact anything, they fragment. The added benefit, when they hit flesh, the damage is much worse then if hit by a solid slug. With these, you won't kill your neighbor. I keep 5 in my Beretta 9mm.

Peace Out~:D

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I keep 5 in my Beretta 9mm.
And I assume the rest are hollowpoints, just in case the frangible bullets don't do the job? Just curious...

AjayM, that's good information, but velocity alone doesn't tell you how much a bullet will penetrate. There are several other factors to be considered, and even then, it's still not an exact science (that's why caliber and stopping power is so hotly debated).

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Salt pellets are a bad idea, at least to me. If you get to the point that you have to point a loaded weapon at somebody it means that you or somebody else is in grave danger of death or injury. I want to make sure that whatever is in the weapon pointing at the "bad guy" is going to hurt him and bring him down as fast as possible. Get somebody ramped up on drugs/alcohol/adreniline and salt pellets are likely to do nothing but piss them off even more.
But to play devil's advocate, what if you mistake a drunk family member or one of your teenage son's friends playing a prank for a burglar? A lot easier to live with yourself just injuring soemone than taking away their life. Also, if someone is hopped up enough on drugs to shrug off salt flying out of a 12 gauge at their face, unless you can turn them off like a light with an expertly placed handgun round you're still in trouble.

AjayM

Screenwriter
But to play devil's advocate, what if you mistake a drunk family member or one of your teenage son's friends playing a prank for a burglar? A lot easier to live with yourself just injuring soemone than taking away their life. Also, if someone is hopped up enough on drugs to shrug off salt flying out of a 12 gauge at their face, unless you can turn them off like a light with an expertly placed handgun round you're still in trouble.
And the flip side of the highly unlikely event of a friend playing a prank is that after you've shot the bad guy with salt he's now really mad and pissed takes the gun away from you and now he's going to torture your family while you watch, then he's going to slowly kill you. We can make up ridiculous scenerio's all day long.

If you just want to use salt pellets you're better off with a can of pepper spray. What are the percentages on "one shot stop" for salt pellets? Pretty damn low I bet. A 9mm Hydra-shok or Glaser safety slug (what Ron is talking about) have "one shot stop" percentages in the 80+% range.

Again, if you want to get a gun for home defense IMHO you should also be trained in how to use it for that purpose. Which includes identifying "targets" and deciding if you should shoot or not. One of the cardinal rules of handling a gun is don't point it at something you don't want to destroy.

Here's a good link on shotgun's for home defense - http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

The whole site is a good source of information.

Andrew

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Glaser safty rounds are your answer.
I've been a gun owner forever. That said, I initially had them for fun, target practice and the sort. Once I became a family man, this fun thing naturally took on a more responsible role in my life. Initially, I loaded my protection clips with a few practice rounds followed by hollows at an attempt at compassion. This does not make sense. Listen. If you are going to do the deed, do it, which of course carries loads of responsibility ......so running shoes may be the answer for some of you. Make sure you get the wife and kids a suitable pair as well. I have pre-ban clips loaded to the hilt with MagSafe ammo. Both Glaser and MagSafe ammo can best be described as shotgun load in a pre-fragmented jacket. Very simple description but accurate enough for the beginner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks