What's new

Buying a gun (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
The thread about answering the door at 1AM got me wondering, what do you have to do to legally buy a gun? I'm in Florida and have been wanting to get one for my house but never really looked into it. Do you just apply for a license or are there classes to take?

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Call you local sheriff's office...
Are you looking to carry concealed or just for home???
OR just visit a gun store and ask them, they would know where to point you...

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
- Go to a gun store.
- Pick out a gun (I suggest renting several to see what you like).
- Hand over your money.
- Fill out paperwork.
- Go home.
- Come back after your federally mandated 5 day waiting period (usually more like 7 days).
- Take gun home.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The process varies from state to state, and there may be local ordinances. In California the state Attorney General webpage has a downloadable summary each year to keep you out of trouble. I'm guessing the same should be true in Florida. Generally long guns are easier to purchase than handguns. For example, I have a Type 03 Federal Firearms License and may purchase C&R long guns through the mails, but would have to get a California Cert. of Eligability to purchase C&R handguns through the mails. Amazon lists this book which may be useful: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...18896320073000

DavidAM

Second Unit
I was thinking something like a Mac10, Streetsweeper, etc. Just your basic gun incase someone pisses me off. :D
Really, I didn't know it was that easy. I'll call around and look into it.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
5 days?!?!

Hehe, hoho... you need to come on out to Colorado. My wife and I decided to buy a Berreta 40 cal semiauto and a 12 gauge from our local Gart Sports. We rolled in, gave our ID and credit cards, got our two guns, and were on the street (with boxes of ammo!) in 20 minutes. I think theu made one phone call total. We were loading all this stuff in the trunk and I jokingly asked my wife, "What do you say we go back in there and get our money back?"

I'm in favor of the right to bear arms, but this was just ridiculous (keep in mind this was pre-Columbine.)

Bry_DD

Second Unit
If you only need a gun for protection at your house just get a 12 gauge. The waiting period here in AZ usually take less than 5min. Back then it used to take 5 days but not anymore.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
David, Here are the laws in Florida in a nutshell

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=FL

Looks like you can basically walk in, plunk down cash and walk out with a long rifle or shotgun. 3 day waiting period for pistols. For home defense, I'll add to the chorus of get a 12 gauge. Usually the sound of ratcheting a shot in the chamber will scare away any ne'er do wells. If not, it makes very large holes and you won't accidentally shoot the neighbor through the walls.

Lucky you don't live in Mass. Took me 6 months to get my license to be able to even buy a shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks