What's new

Buy PJ online or at B&M (1 Viewer)

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
I will be making my first projector purchase in a couple of weeks... Epson 8350. Should I buy it online or at a B&M (Ultimate Electronics)?

Sales tax would be around $110 but I worry about damage in transit with one of these delivery companies. What do you think? Are there any other caveats that I need to think about?

Thanks,

Nick

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Ultimate Electronics has filed for bankruptcy and will likely not be around to support the sale much longer.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've had great success with projector purchases from Projector People. I highly recommend them and since my last purchase they have become a sponsor for the HTF, which makes them an even better choice, IMHO. Their sales staff has always been friendly and it was a pleasure to do business with this vendor. When I'm ready for an upgrade/replacement in the future, they will be getting my next order.

My last purchase from them was an Epson projector and I thought the packaging was fine for shipment ( I live in the U.S.)

- Walter.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
likewise, I've had excellent support from my two projectors and screen from Visual Apex.

Leo

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Wherever you buy it, make sure they are an authorized Epson dealer.

Originally Posted by winniw

I will be making my first projector purchase in a couple of weeks... Epson 8350. Should I buy it online or at a B&M (Ultimate Electronics)?

Sales tax would be around $110 but I worry about damage in transit with one of these delivery companies. What do you think? Are there any other caveats that I need to think about?

Thanks,

Nick

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB

Ultimate Electronics has filed for bankruptcy and will likely not be around to support the sale much longer.

How true! I just went to Ultimate and they had "Store Closing" signs up. They had the 8350 marked down from $1299 to $1179... not much.

Nick

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Some how, I think that UPS and Fed Ex are quite cavalier in their handling of packages, with complete disregard of what is in them. One reason is that they are under such time pressure. I'm sure that regular transit companies are not as careful as I would like but it seems that most everything that I buy from a store is in a fairly pristine box. OTOH, all too frequently, with the delivery companies, I see gaping holes, deep slashes, severly crushed corners and such. When you go to one of their facilities they actually have a sign that says your package should be packed well enough that it could be dropped from shoulder height without damage.

I think another reason for the difference is that projectors or receivers are most likely shipped on a pallet, lifted with a forklift, and sat down on a truck, which keeps them stable and more protected. With the delivery companies, everything is handled as a single box, thrown around, stacked, dropped, etc.

Nick

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Actually, no, my mind is not made up. I was responding to Gregg when he asked me how I thought the equipment got to a B&M store to begin with. I'm just getting opinions, that's all.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks