What's new

Burying The Format War Hatchet... (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

I wouldn't purport to speak on behalf of all Longhorns.

But I might be inclined to agree since any maroon-blooded, homegrown, born & raised Aggies, like any native, burnt orange-blooded Horn brethren, are still, ya' know . . . Texans. ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I can never bury THAT hatchet. :P Gig 'Em :emoji_thumbsup: :)

The OU game has certainly been more important the past several years since OU really took it to Texas since 2000. Rilvaries are much more passionate when the hated opponent fields a competative team. Most Horn fans I've lived around would rather lose to OU than A&M since we have to live with each other 365 days a year.

That's probably one of the reasons this format 'rilvary' if you will is so passionate. Truthfully, BOTH are pretty dang terrific.

Some yells rumored to have been heard from the Blu-ray & HD DVD sidelines:

We've got more space yes we do...we've got more space how bout you?!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

We've got attach rates yes we do...we've got attach rates how bout you!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Couldn't resist.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Tim, excellent post. And I totally agree. This is why I have bowed out of the HD threads. What will be, will be.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Useless "which-format-is-better"-debates are pretty much - useless, but let´s not kill the discussion. We should be able to express our opinions in a mature way. We didn´t create this "format war" (studios, etc did) and nobody wanted it. Now we have to deal with it. If this also means a minor (mature) debates in the forums, I don´t see that it would be the end of the world. These discussions doen´t have to get "ugly". My 2 cents.

What is "pow-wow" btw?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Wow, a "pow-wow" being discussed by persons from Helsinki and Amsterdam. Ain't the internet grand? :laugh:

Jari, a "pow-wow" is a Native American (American Indian) term for a meeting or gathering, to plot a strategy, to practice diplomacy or to celebrate.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm guessing the pow-wow might be that we chumps just actually enjoying the WOW factor right in front of us....not the format?

MarekM

Supporting Actor
hey Tim, very nice thread :)

you can always count on your Jedi-friend :)

Marek alias Marek the Jedi :) (on theforce.net forums :))

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Good work on the new war-free HTF policy. I was sick to death of those threads and posts; I hope the policy holds up.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

In this forum also? Really? I have read several forums (different sites) now (when it comes to HD) and HTF has been always very mature, even when there have been minor "debates" and such. Let´s hope that we still have some strong opinions/arguments among the forum members and experienced/knowledgeable comments also.

Manus

Second Unit
Great idea with the new policy . I hope it works . A year ago we were all just movie buffs , now its more important to some people that their 'pet format ' wins
the war . Hopefully , this will restore the balance.

I was interested to read Warners claim to 30% of Hd market overall which they attributed to supporting BOTH formats ; wouldnt it be nice if we could all buy all our movies on the format of our choice ( a choice forced on us by the industry ) and just mark time till the next ( downloading ? ) revolution ??

~M~

P.S. Can I still mock the Vinyl and Vhs people ?? I mean they really need our help :D

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
The new policy was long overdue and HT deserves no kudos for implementing it at this point in time. This forum doesn't realize just how much damage was done to its credibility. I lost major respect for HTF as a result of allowing a blatantly flamebaitish thread to continue on for such a long time. Even the most the juvenile of videogame forums would've closed that type of thread a day or two after it was posted. The fact that this forum allowed that thread to linger on for such a long time, blows my mind.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you're referring to the thread I think you are, Peter, then I think it should be said that there was/is some good information shared there. I'd like to think my links to trade stories others might have missed falls into that category. There were/are some knowledgeable--albeit contentious and with whom I often disagreed--people there.

I'd be wary of using too broad of a brush and painting it all juvenilia.

troy evans

Screenwriter
You really think it got that bad? Tim's thread caused alot of us to rethink how We respond to each other Here.Even at the worst parts of threads Here You find respect for others and apologies for over reacting if that's the case.Look at the community Here and compare it to other audio/video forums....That's right! You Can't! No other forum can touch This place! I've made posts where I've been wrong about My veiws in regards to advise others,posters who come after mine don't write stuff like"F-U" or "You're Stupid" or some other 3rd grade garbage.What has happened is they have disagreed respectfully and went on to expain why.I've done it Myself also.Sometimes I get passionate about My veiws and I show it.We all love This stuff so It's hard not to have Your heart in it,at least for Me.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. I don't know what thread you're referring to (haven´t been member for that long), but there are two competing formats in the markets. We should be able to discuss their "good" and "bad" sides (yes, both formats have both of those sides) and speculate that what´ll happen.

I have seen "blatantly flamebaitish threads" in some other forums, but not really in HTF. But I guess "debate" or "differing opinion" means a bit different things to some than to others.. I just feel that we went from "minor, isolated incidents" to "overreacting" (my friendly opinion, that´s all). The "format war" and its numerous issues won´t be solved by staying "silent". Companies need strong (healthy, mature and respectable manner, of course) opinions and proper feedback from their customers.

Well, at least we have a few "official threads" where we can have some proper speculation and such (when it comes to these two HD-formats), even some healthy debate every once in a while. It might work just fine in the end.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

You know I didn't know what a ginger was until I saw a news report about discrimination against red heads in the UK a few weeks ago.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks