What's new

Burke's Law/Honey West (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Have we heard anything new on this front? I thought the initial scuttlebutt was that the first Four-Star offering from VCI (Burke's Law, I believe) was slated for September. But that's getting pretty close now. VCI, as much as I love 'em, has a history of being a little bit too optimistic with their release-date projections, so I won't be surprised if plans have been pushed back.

Whatever the case, I hope this 'leasing from Fox' situation works out well, because there are a host of other Four-Star series that I'd love to see. Same with Shout Factory and their Universal offerings. With VCI's propensity for westerns, I can easily imagine them as being a good outlet for more Four-Star westerns (besides "Zane Grey"), like "Black Saddle," "Trackdown," "Law of the Plainsman," "Stagecoach West," and whatever others. Although, my own preference might be for sets devoted to Four-Star's non-western items "The Dick Powell Show" and "The Rogues."

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I coincidentally e-mailed VCI this morning, and I was told that Burke's Law is due out in September, price to be determined.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'd love "The Dick Powell Theater" on dvd. It was the last of the great anthologies and his death in 1963 changed the future of television by ending the concept of the anthology in television programming. "Dick Powell Theater" was a brilliant series that utilized the best in writing, directing, and acting. Had Powell lived, he might have beat Lew Wasserman to the punch in inventing the tv movie.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You're forgetting Dick's protege Aaron Spelling, who made the popular The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and Hotel years after his days producing Burke's Law for Dick Powell's Four-Star Productions (the other stars being Charles Boyer, Ida Lupino and David Niven).
Those shows were anthologies, with multiple stories in either comedic or dramatic vein that were wrapped up by the episode's end. The only difference was that the Spelling shows had a basic supporting cast to 'host' each show (e.g., the crew of the Pacific Princess, Mr. Roarke and Tattoo, and the staff of the St. Gregory).

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I can easily imagine them as being a good outlet for more Four-Star westerns (besides "Zane Grey"), like "Black Saddle," "Trackdown," "Law of the Plainsman,"
Westerns where Peter Breck, Russell Johnson, Robert Culp and Michael Ansara saddle up? I'm there!

Charles H

Screenwriter
By "anthologies," I mean in the context of short stories and early tv ("Playhouse 90," Studio One," "Four Star Playhouse") with independent casts, genres, and stories. On BURKE'S LAW (a terrific series), the pilot (by Pulizer Prize winner Frank Gilroy) was originally shown on THE DICK POWELL THEATER with Powell playing Amos Burke. Ronald Reagan was one of the suspects, and I hope they include it on the BURKE'S LAW dvd.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Looking forward to Burke's Law if it really happens - but in the meantime I don't regret picking up BL and HW (R2, Delta), they did a great job with them. I hope this means we will eventually get BL season's 2 and 3 (Amos Burke, Secret Agent)!

Tom.W

Second Unit
I can easily imagine them as being a good outlet for more Four-Star westerns (besides "Zane Grey"), like "Black Saddle," "Trackdown," "Law of the Plainsman," "Stagecoach West," and whatever others.
Let's not forget Johnny Ringo with Don Durant in the title role and the feisty Mark Goddard as his deputy. Ringo was packaged with Plainsman, Black Saddle, and The Westerner in the eighties as part of The Westerners in syndication of Four-Star shows.

I'd also like to see anthologies from other studios like Bob Hope Chrysler Theater and Kraft Suspense Theater. These were somewhat inconsistent in quality, but still are fascinating depictions of the culture of that period. Many people probably remember the pulsating theme used in the intros and credits of KSP.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Ah, forgot about "Johnny Ringo." Haven't seen one of those in ages. But, I do recall it being a component of that aforementioned catch-all syndicated package, "The Westerners." The added openings with host Keenan Wynn always made me suspicious the various episodes were snipped a bit, to make room for that. I don't know what year all those were syndicated, but they did date back to the 60s. The last time I recall encountering them was on CBN in the mid-80s. Smart move, to batch all those short-lived series together. At very least it gave exposure to the high-quality "Westerner" series with Brian Keith, which had so lamentably few episodes to its name, and would otherwise have been rendered unseen and forgotten.

It does seem that those various Four-Star westerns are now freed from that "Westerners" construct, though. When the Nostalgia Channel (now AmericanLife) aired "Law of the Plainsman" and "The Westerner" in the mid-90s, they all had their original openings. They aired a big batch of Four-Star series around that time, like "Dante," "The Law and Mr. Jones," "Richard Diamond," and "Stagecoach West." I also seem to recall TV-Land running a few episodes of "Trackdown," back in their early days, when they were an interesting network. Hard to imagine nowadays, considering what they've become, but they were initially prone to dig up some intriguing rarities. Heck, I even recall them showing an "Amos Burke: Secret Agent."

Tom.W

Second Unit
They aired a big batch of Four-Star series around that time, like "Dante," "The Law and Mr. Jones," "Richard Diamond," and "Stagecoach West."
Except for RD (which may have too many episodes), these would seem prime candidates for DVD release from an independent company that would be interested in securing leasing rights. Each aired for a season or a season and a half in the case of TLAMJ. Since they're not PD, that probably rules out Mill Creek.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Tom.W said:
Except for RD (which may have too many episodes), these would seem prime candidates for DVD release from an independent company that would be interested in securing leasing rights. Each aired for a season or a season and a half in the case of TLAMJ. Since they're not PD, that probably rules out Mill Creek.
The problem with Richard Diamond is that the package is split between Paramount and 4 Star ownership.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's a shame that an entire era of TV history is vanishing before us. With the removal of most of the vintage WB shows from the American Life Channel in favor of the seen-to-death Fox/MTM shows of the 1970s and 80s, that channel is following the same regrettable path as TVLAND, in chasing an under-40 audience. There should be a premuim classic TV channel, like the way TCM reverently treats classic film (and the way AMC used to when it was a real channel). Imagine seeing shows like these (some which haven't been syndicated in years) commercial free and in new remastered prints:
Our Miss Brooks
December Bride
My Three Sons
The Mod Squad
Adventures In Paradise
It Takes A Thief
The Governor and J.J.
Here Come The Brides
The Farmer's Daughter
Father Knows Best
The High Chapparal
Peyton Place
The Defenders
The Nurses
Dr. Kildare
Ben Casey and so on.

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.
A friend of mine e-mailed me a few days back to let me know that VCI's asked him to write the liner notes for this release. He asked me if there were any extras I'd like to see, and since I'm stymied to come up with any I open the floor for suggestions.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Ivan G said:
A friend of mine e-mailed me a few days back to let me know that VCI's asked him to write the liner notes for this release. He asked me if there were any extras I'd like to see, and since I'm stymied to come up with any I open the floor for suggestions.
Well, for starters, Ivan, and if they're up to it, interviews and/or episode commentaries from Gene Barry and Gary Conway. But also, if they exist, bloopers/outakes, promotional clips, etc. Gene Barry did interviews for the "War of the Worlds" theatrical release a few years ago, and Gary Conway was more recently featured in interview segments for "Land of the Giants" (a clip which can be seen at Amazon.com), so it would be great if either of them could be part of the release. But with a March 4 release date for season 1, volume 1, they'd have to hurry! Maybe it would be more realistic for season 1, volume 2 since VCI is going the split season route on "Burke's Law."

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Also, perhaps an edited clip reel of "The Babes of Burke's Law." The recent Time/Life release of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. did something like this, but really shorted the idea. Both shows featured a calvacade of some of the hotter ingenues as well as established actresses of the day. It wouldn't cost much extra to have an editor highlight their sexiest scenes. I think the Star Trek series did the same thing.

They could also do an edit clip of all the great old-time Hollywood actors and legends who appeared on the show. It's just a nice extra to see them all in one place. Plus, the same edit clip could be used to promo the series on YouTube or elsewhere.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The "pilot" for this series was, I believe, an episode of The Dick Powell Show, starring Powell as Amos Burke. A worthy extra, I would think, and not requiring too much effort from the studio.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I concur with Bob and Wayne. Interviews with Barry and Conway would indeed be welcome as well as a guest star retrospective. A spotlight on Herschel Burke Gilbert, the composer who provided the music to the series would be a nice touch as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks