What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 3 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not making anything out of it...I just see it spelled like that all the time, both here and in many other forums.

Switch two letters and it becomes completely different.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

We tried doing 2 discs of "Buffy" at a time and that didn't work out that well because some ppl couldn't keep up at that pace. And I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with 2 discs a week once all the fall TV shows start.

Do you guys hear that they are releasing Slim Sets of "Angel" in November? I believe they come out on November 28th, when we should be in the middle of Season 2.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've finally caught up, having just finished 'Choices'.

'Earshot' raises a few questions:

1. Why and how would Jonathan use a rifle on himself?

What was he going to do, tie a string to the trigger and pull it as he stands in front of it, like one of those cameras you use to take a photo of yourself?

2. Buffy's speech seemed incomplete, in that it didn't address the fact that she herself DOES have people who care about her - something Jonathan (or myself in school) never did. Her claim that no one cares about his pain because they're too wrapped up in their own...and yet she and many others still have that support...He didn't so in a roundabout way she ended up saying to him 'too bad...suck it up, you don't have any support and never will'. Guess he isn't as deserving of it as she is.

I relate to that immensely...I have never done anything like what Jonathan attempted, but I do understand his point.

It's obvious that a show like this is so popular mainly because you can personally relate to the characters...it's interesting which characters you identify with and why.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

One of the lesser episodes for certain. Giving J a rifle was completely absurd...it makes no logical sense, except to support the misconception of the episode. Makes the reveal much weaker.

I also agree that Buffy became, and remained, enormously self-absorbed in her role as the slayer. At almost no point in the show does she recognize anyone else's problems...she is too fixated on her own.

But the show still works :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I am actually behind, for the first time since this challenge started. I ended up being busy all last week and last weekend. But I should get caught up over the holiday weekend.

This week's episodes are:

"The Prom"
"Graduation Part 1"
"Graduation Part 2"

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Looking back, it seems as though a lot of people don't like Angel in season 3, because he sits on the sidelines too much.

I think he did the opposite - he ended up kicking more ass and interacting more with the others than in seasons 1 and 2, especially the latter half of this season, where they seemed to set up his fighting skills that would be elaborated on in his own series.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Prom:

I guess this episode is a rest before the finale. The demon dogs didn’t put up much of a fight. It was pretty much all fluff.

It appeared that the writers used this episode to explain why Angel and Cordelia both go away at the end of the season. Both reasons were a bit flimsy but since the new series Angel turned out all right, I will forgive the writers.

Graduation Day I and II:

Season 3 ends with a Bang!

I don’t care for this episode as much as most fans. I liked it ok, but I wouldn’t call it one of my favorite season ending episodes.

I think that the whole notion of all the students pulling weapons out from under their robes was pretty lame. They didn’t appear to have any affect yet at the end, Giles comments about how brilliant the plan was. What exactly did the students accomplish?

It was good seeing Snyder eaten.

I guess I wasn’t really that “scared” of the demon in the end. It wasn’t as scary as the lead up made it seem.

There were some good things about the episode. I like that Willow finally becomes a woman. I also like the little Dawn hint. I am sure at the time nobody knew what it meant.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Joe, in the dream that Buffy had in which she talks to Faith in her apartment.
The following dialog takes place:

This was a hint that little miss muffet (Dawn) was coming. 730 is 2 years. I guess that would be when the portal opens at the end of season 5.

There is another hint in the next season. In a buffy dream with her and Faith making the bed. I'll point it out then.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
there's also another hint with Dawn in "Restless" at the end of season 4 (the last episode before Dawn comes in)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps we lost several of the participants in the challenge?

This thread is quite slim in comparison to seasons 1 and 2.

I plan on watching the final 3 episodes on friday night, and then I bid farewell to Sunnydale, and head to the big city. The City of ANGEL...

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Possibly because there is less to discuss/argue. Most agree that Season 3 is one of, if not THE, strongest season :)
Have just finished season 3 and will write up my comments later. I will say though that Graduation Day part 2 is a slight let down to what comes before (part 1 is great)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Wendy, are you going to start the new thread for seaon 4?

Are we going to combine the Angel and Buffy discussions in one thread?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This whole thing seems to have fizzled out. When the two people responsible for this idea seem to have abandoned it, well...I take that as a clue that several others followed suit and left it as well.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
No, I have not abandoned it. I am all caught up with Season 3. I loved Season 3. With the "The Wish" and "Dopplegangland" being my two favorite episodes.

For me the season finale of Season 3 is a little bittersweet because I know that it's the end of Buffy and Angel together and I love their romance. And I also loved Oz & Willow together and I know that it won't be too much longer before their relationship ends also in Season 4.

I was just too busy at work yesterday to start the new thread. And yes, I will combine them together. I'm gonna go do that right now.

Oh, and another thing, as much as I love the show I have told you guys that I'm not big with the review thing. I love the show but I don't know what to write up about the episodes on their own. I'm just not very good with that. But I have been watching the episodes when I was supposed to and I am totally on track with the schedule. And for some reason John W doesn't feel like really discussing them either but I know he is watching them because we watch them together. He will probably participate more in the new thread because he has never seen Angel so he will probably be excited to discuss it with all of you.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Cool, I am still onboard. I will have to do 2 weeks at a time tho because I am renting the Angel discs from Netflix and don't want it sitting at home for 2 whole weeks. I plan on watching 2 weeks worth in one week, then waiting a week.

So I will be watching the first Buffy and the first Angel discs this week.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna rent Season 1 of "Angel" from Netflix too but the slim sets come out the week we start watching Season 2 so I plan on buying them as I need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks