What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 2 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
If the werewolf hunter in "Phases" looked, or actually in his case sounded familiar, wait until season 3 of ANGEL, where the same actor (Jack Conley) plays a major role in that season.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

Yep, that was the most obvious case of Joss recycling actors who aren't regulars (as we see lots of Firefly actors on Angel and Buffy in 2003-2004), along with Carlos Jacott, who appears in the season 3 opener "Anne", as well as the Angel season one episode "The Bachelor Party" as well as a Firefly episode.
Oh yea, I also forgot Holden Webster on Buffy equals Knox on Angel (if you haven't seen either series at that point, the names mean nothing)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

At least in Conley's case, he wasn't playing a new character with the same face, because his ANGEL character was an unrecognizable demon (who only showed his natural face for one scene) whereas the other actors look like themselves on different shows.

Of course, the Star Trek shows did this more often than any other shows.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Holden Webster/Knox also was a central character in a Firefly ep.

There's another actor crossover among all three series. This actor also made a few appearances on the West Wing. Anyone know who I'm referring to?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only ones who come to mind are Jeff Ricketts, who was one of those Watcher's Council renegades, and a Blue-handed agent on Firefly.
Also Andy Umberger, who played D'Hoffryn on Buffy and the deranged stalker doctor on ANGEL, as well as an Alliance officer on Firefly...I've never seen West Wing, so I can't be sure.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
will Joss ever do another series, or is he too bitter towards Fox for Firefly and WB (now CW) for cancelling Angel about two years too soon to consider producing another series considering the way 2 of his 3 shows were treated? Fox should've aired Firefly in production order and it would've definately lasted much longer. I also think WB should've cancelled Charmed in 2004, NOT Angel, as Angel had a few seasons left in it IMO.

Personally, I think the Joss stamp on a show is a sign of quality (unless you're over 40 and think TV stopped being good around the time the Norman Lear shows ended and hate shows like Buffy and Angel because they came from a different era... yes I've seen it happen on here, someone said I sound like a kid because I said Buffy and Angel were two of the best shows of the past decade, just because "they don't compare to the 60's shows") and I'd love to see more Whedon shows on television. At least right now we have the Whedon-esque Supernatural (and Roswell, which aired several years back, definately had a Joss-y feel) to keep us interested in television for the time being in the genre.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd imagine that Whedon will be sticking with movies for a while. As for Firefly, I don't think how it was aired made a difference. The terrible time slot and lack of promotion is what killed it. I'm sure the majority of the viewers were Whedon or sci-fi fans and were going to continue to watch no matter what.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a contractual issue - Joss was prevented from making any TV unless it's with 20th Century Fox, which he flat-out refuses to do because of its treatment of Firefly?

Also, his Mutant Enemy production company doesn't exist anymore. That's why Serenity wasn't credited as being a production of that company.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I know movies are more lucrative, but I think television has an aura to it that films just don't. Hell, look at this thread alone. As a movie, Buffy The Vampire Slayer was a dud, a really campy (and not in the good sense) and poorly executed movie better known for the fact that Pee-Wee Herman and Luke Perry were in it than for the movie itself. Whereas, as a television series where things grew over time, it became one of the biggest cult shows around, up there with Star Trek and The X-Files. Same applies with Angel, and even Firefly to a lesser extent even though only 15 episodes were produced. A television series devotes years to these characters, a movie devotes 2 hours and a successful franchise is maybe 9-15 hours total, about one seasons worth... it's not the same IMO.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just found this 'note' from Joss, which was - and I don't know for certain but it seems plausible - included in the complete series boxset of ANGEL in the UK. For anyone who hasn't read this, and even if it wasn't for that boxset, it's still an interesting note from Joss:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Yes!! I have been waiting for the nice Angle set they sold in region 2 to be available here.

As soon as it is, I 'll buy it.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Watched Killed By Death last night. Not a great episode but not a bad episode either. Just sort of there. But I did enjoy the first scene with Buffy & Scooby Gang v. Angelus.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

Umbarger is who I was thinking of. I had forgotten about Ricketts, but he doesn't really count because he played the same character on Buffy and Angel.

Umbarger makes a few appearances in the first season at least of the West Wing as press secretary to the vice president, played by Tim Matheson.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Becoming I and II:

This is a really good season finale.

Did anyone else want to see Buffy use the sword on Snyder when he expelled her?

I do sort of wish they made the stone statue more “mean” looking. It looked more like a character from a Disney cartoon. It was hard to take it serious.

What is up with this shows portrayal of cops? They showed a cop pull a gun and shoot at Buffy as she was running away. This is so completely inaccurate. There is more likely really vampires in the world. First of all, Cops do not shoot at fleeing people. Plus, Snyder was standing between the Cop and buffy when she shot.

I loved the scene with Buffy’s mom and Spike sitting in the living room. I always got a kick out of the way Spike interacts with Joyce.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I hated Willow's attitude during part one. Even Giles' attitude was off the mark, and rather stupid...of course I'm referring to their reaction to what Xander had to say. He was the only rational, smart, and sane person in the room when it came to the idea of restoring Angel's soul.

That's the one aspect of this two-parter that ruined it for me every time I see it.

Buffy's remark about Snyder never having a date in high school...I have hated that line ever since I first heard it.

Such a stupid, short-sighted thing to say...such a Buffy thing to say.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Watched Only Have Eyes for You and Go Fish over the weekend.

New week. And you guys know what episodes to watch.

"Becoming" Part 1 and 2.

Next week we start a new season... cool. And Season 3 contains my two favorite episodes of all-time.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
funny how I thought I wasn't going to be able to catch up, and then before I knew it, I'm almost done with season 4 (but I'll still stay along the lines of where we're supposed to be in terms of discussion), lol

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I finally decided "screw waiting for a box set that will never happen in region 1" (now watch it get announced next week) and ordered the Angel sets. Getting back into Buffy more than I have been since it was originally on has made me hungry to revisit Angel as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks