What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 2 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Na, i've been sick the past 4 days and so I wasn't in the mood for all that typing, i'll post when I get my full strength back and am able to think clearly again. ;)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not fully caught up yet. Just finished disc 1.

Feel better, John - judging from that picture you need to lay off the caffeine for a bit... :emoji_thumbsup:

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
^Stan the Java Man!

Anyways as soon as I am out of school (Next Monday) I'll be able to pick up the pace of this challenge. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, Nicholas, i'm just about all better, i'll post in the next day or so.

I've watched a lot of eps and i've got some catching up to do in here. :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Oh no, we haven't given up at all. At least John and I haven't. Last week we watched both Disc 1 and Disc 2 of Season 2. But then John told to me that someone mentioned on the forum that doing 2 discs is a little too much at one time. And I have to say I agree. I had no problems watching two discs per week but then I don't have time for all the other things I'm still trying to get caught up on. I'm renting two TV series right now, plus I have several shows that were on during the regular TV season that I need to get caught up on, like 10 shows.

So, this week get caught up on Disc 2 of Season 2 and next week we will do Disc 3 of Season 2. And we will go back to one disc per week.

Once again, sorry about all the back and forth. Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to make you guys happy but in doing so it got a little confusing.

When we finish Season 3 of Buffy and Season 1 of "Angel" starts we will discuss at that time how we want to incorporate that show into our rotation.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sounds good to me. I was just not wanting to get too far ahead of everyone else.

Back to my quickie thought summaries for S2D2.

The Dark Age:

More about the past life of Giles. I guess your past can come back to haunt you.

They sure make Ethan out to be a real jerk. I hate people who sucker punch/blindside people. Guess it is one of my peeves.

You can also see the budding sparks between Cordie and Xander getting stronger.

Overall, a pretty good episode.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was falling behind with the 2 disc's a week thing as well. I can only watch 5 episodes a week so I'd just get farther and farther behind. Plus I've been lazy and havn't been posting my reviews.

Nope, just lazy! Here we go with more of my reviews that manage to be enlightning, yet heart warming while maintaining a deep spiritual feel, despite poor, sloppy spelling and grammer.

2.6 - HALLOWEEN 3.5/5
In which our heroine swoons in the face of danger.

After a duo of real crap episodes, we get a doozy of a show with this one. The interesting thing is that it really hi-lights the supporting cast, with Zander and especially Willow getting alot to do, and pretty much stealing the show. And Giles really blossoms as a character, showing that he isn't the bumbling Hugh Grant-ish fella he seems to be. A real fun episdoe, with nothing to not like about it.

2.7 - Lie To Me 4/5
In which Spike puts the bite on Goth Kids.

I have to admit something right off the bat. I hate Goth kids. The white faces, the black clothes, the poofy white shirts, The Smiths, I hate them. I'm sure I loved this episode mainly for the fact that it was nice to see a whole gaggle of these kids get whacked by their Vampire idols. Aside from the the sheer joy of the above, it was still a great episode, with Drusilla being that facinating type of gal who's incredibly sexy, yet not really pretty.

2.8 The Dark Ages 3.5/5
In which Giles does a bunch of stuff (okay, I'm lazy, I can't think of a line)

This is pretty much HALLOWEEN part 2, with Ethan and Giles past coming back to stir up the pot. I can't help but think this might of been better a little later in the series, as it's a little soon to be bringing back Ethan. Still, a good episode with drunky Giles nearly getting the Buff killed. It was also fun to see Ms. Calender puttin the moves on Giles, and apparantly shes's the same age as Cordellia in real life. Fun!

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
In all the episodes on Disc 2, Lie To Me is my favorite. I love the interactions between Angel and Buffy and I really loved it when he asks her "Do you love me?". When I first watched that episode I was a little shocked that he just put it out there. On so many TV shows they draw out the attraction between the characters that you want to hook up that is was such a refreshing change to finally see someone jump into head first.

Halloween was also a great episode. For the sole purpose of seeing Willow in that sexy outfit. *whistle* She was hot! And I loved how Army Xander totally took charge, once again we got to see a different side of Xander.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I loved it when Angel points out the way vampires really dress, only to find some wannabe wearing the exact same outfit. The first of what will be many, many laughs at Angel's expense.

This episode also sparked a bit of debate about the interaction between Angel and 'Chantarelle'. A rather stupid debate, actually.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
When Angel meets Anne (aka Chantarelle) in LA, does he remember her? I forget.

It would be hard to remember everyone you met in 240+ years of life. LOL

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Thanks Wendy
The one-disc approach I think is much better. With all the other DVDs to watch and of course other things to do, its hard to keep up.

Will give me chance to catch up now:)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

That's what I'm referring to - It makes no sense at all that anyone would remember someone they saw/spoke two words to 3-4 years earlier.

Apparently there were some who said they should have remembered each other, which would have made no sense at all.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
without spoilering anything, Chanterelle also appears in "Anne" in season 3 and she ended up having to explain who she was first before Buffy remembered her.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sounds good to me. Ill probably watch them this weekend, but I will hold off posting until a few days into the week.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
"What's My Line" has obviously been the biggest story so far, and full of memorable moments.

According to Marti Noxon's commentary (I am of the belief that she is responsible for most of what I don't like about season 6, and I will never watch another show she is involved with but that's another story), Willy's proposition to have a friend take 'art' pictures of Buffy and Kendra was something the writers felt would cause the network a bit of stress, but it's great comedy.

Angel seems to finally be a full-on regular character in this two parter as well, making him tougher than we're used to seeing at this time, and foreshadowed his own series' portrayal a little.

It wasn't until seeing "Dawson's Creek" reruns on TBS that I found out that Kendra's (Bianca Lawson) rather silly accent was completely fake...I was sort of relieved about that.

While the bug effects were obvious early CGI / blue screen work, the quick transformation from man to bug pile was both impressive and genuinely suspenseful.

Next, its onto one of Buffy's greatest enemies:

John Ritter

:D

Man he was intense.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What's My Line I and II:

I have to say upfront that I was never a fan of Kendra. Her bad accent and weird attitude made her seem very uncomfortable.

Never really thought the maggot-man was very threatening. How exactly did he kill the lady next door?

Spike ran away at the end again. Or he tried, but was bonked on the head.

Why was Angel sick/weak? If the sun had hit him, he would have been ashes. I didn’t get why he was acting sick.

The truth is, since Kendra was the slayer, she should have staked him. All she knew was he was a vampire. Why did she leave him there? Hasn’t she seen the Batman series, or the Bond movies? You never leave your victim to die, you should just do it!!! I know we couldn’t have Angel killed, but it seemed weird.

At least we get to see Xander and Cordelia get together. Been in-the-works for a while.

Finally Oz and Willow are getting to know each other. Good for them.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Ok, it's Monday. This week we will be watching the following episodes:

"What's My Line" Part 1 & 2
"Ted"
"Bad Eggs"

Happy Viewing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks