What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Those words echo Joss' words about why he didn't want Buffy involved with ANGEL's final episodes.
Having the lead of the original show show up on the spin-off show's last episode would have said 'they can't make it on their own', and I am grateful that the right decision was made.

That said, Angel did have an effect on Spike in "Chosen" - remember his cheap drawing of Angel placed on a punching bag (or something similar) ? :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yea. Buffy appearing in Angel's last episode would've been nice, but... Sarah Michelle Gellar was never a regular on Angel so there was no need for her there. I know a lot of Enterprise fans who were offended by the series finale, which was devoted more to The Next Generation characters who never appeared on Enterprise before than the actual characters of the series. I think that would've been the way it'd been if Buffy was featured in the Angel finale.

I am hoping that down the road we get a big Buffy/Angel movie. My friend wrote a fan-fic movie taking place immediately as the final Angel leaves off where Angel and co. are in battle, and then in a moment of vulnerability, he notices Buffy, Willow and the slayers coming to his aid and then there would've been a huge final Lord Of The Rings style battle with both Angel Investigations and Buffy and her slayers (am I the only person who could see Willow and Illyria getting together? lol).

Granted, it will never happen, Boreanez and Gellar are both over the franchise, but it was something that could've been fun had Joss negotiated a film out of the franchise as the final episodes of Angel were being made.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
The only "Buffy" spinoff movie I'd be interested in seeing would be a Xander movie where he goes to L.A. and becomes a TV writer. He creates a TV show based on his experiences ("Joan the Vampire Slayer" or something), and casts real monsters in some of the parts, and has to deal with the problems of running a TV show and dealing with actors who literally want to kill him.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
speaking of Angel, is a "complete series" box set confirmed or not? Now that TNT has removed it from the afternoon showings, I would love to revisit the show. It's not an all-time favorite like Buffy is, but the entire series in one package would sit very well with me. Does anyone know? Target had the season sets for half price but I figure I can wait for a compact package instead if one's in the cards. I assume since the Buffy one sold so well that Fox and Joss would do one for Angel also.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
there were only two things I dislike about the Buffy set.

1. the booklet. They were hyping it like it was a nice mini-Watchers Guide style book that all Buffy fans would be pleased to own, and what we got was just an episode/airdate list book, big freaking deal!

2. the disc artwork. The discs had the exact same artwork as the seperate sets. I figured since HBO redesigned the artwork on the discs for Sex And The City (although the content was exactly the same, ala menus and all) that Fox could've done the same with Buffy. The colors and moods of each disc is out of context if not seen with the original digipacks.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Having all the ANGEL sets ( every time one was released, I was so excited I not only got little rest the day before, but was always first in the store to get one) I'll likely be in the camp against the eventual 'complete series' box set, because unless its bonus disc is rife with great extras, and its case offers better packaging than those gawdawful digipaks, I'm not going throught the hassle of selling my sets for a new big box, when the discs themselves are exactly the same.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

considering the way the Buffy set was handled, I'd figure the same thing would be done with the Angel packaging, with a bonus disc with a few hours of extras and space-saving packaging. I really hate digipacks.

Plus, I'm sure once again it'll be reasonably priced. I sold off my old Buffy sets and had more than enough to pay for the new version and have money left over. It was definately worth it to me, and I am sure the same will happen with Angel.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I always found it odd that the Buffy season 2 DVD was exactly the same in all regions extras wise- promoting things unavailable in R1 (ANGEL season one VHS, Buffy season 2 VHS, etc) I wonder what made that set stay the same when all the others are different- non R1 DVDs have various trailers for other VHS/DVD sets on the third disc of each season of ANGEL and Buffy.

I've seen some of those trailers, and I love those things.

I guess that's up there in the mystery dept with why R1 cut the recaps while other regions didn't.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
OK, my first sentence will be a Joss Whedon-style line that I take full credit for creating: If these tiny sets within the set that I watch on my TV set are digipacks, than I applaud Fox for doing such a terrific job! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

If you bought the individual seasons in the past, well....too bad! The studio was just being practical by duplicating the earlier box sets again for this full series combined release.

Why would you want them to make a newly designed series of menus and graphics, when the ones on the original sets were just fine? I have no problem with the different menus of each season. The same menu would get boring after awhile. The only drawback is that the 2nd season one takes too long to get to the episode menu, and there is no way to skip that.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

you know you totally misread what I said, right?

I was talking about the design on the discs themselves, that look out of place in the book form on the Chosen collection. HBO actually changed the look of the discs for the Sex And The City collection, even though the discs were exactly the same content-wise. I have no freaking problem with the menus being the same, it was just that the discs themselves that don't look right in the new packaging.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Same answer, Jay. The discs themselves also look GREAT. I wouldn't change the designs on those either. ;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Wow! Tough choice...which Buffy thread to leave a comment in. Well, this is THE chosen Chosen thread...so.
Who produced this box?
I'm spoiled, just finished the Deadwood season 1 & 2 sets.
They're well done, easy to navigate.
OK...here's how it works, when I finish an episode I want the disc to return to the chapter listings (which would ideally be in an obvious order).
The Chosen box chose to send me back to the menu for the episode I just finished so then I have to click over to HOME and then...blah, blah, blah.
Just hire someone competent for these projects.
Jeez.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks