What's new

Buffy Season 3 problems ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What Marc said, but ususally "combing" is the result. Especially at edits between shots where you will actually see one frame which is 1/2 of the 1st shot and 1/2 of the next shot intertwined scan-line wise. Do you mean jumping vertically? If your player is prog. scan, see if you can manually place the player in VIDEO mode. If not, turn off the prog. scan and let your set handle it. If your set, like my Mits. offers different modes, FILM and VIDEO, choose VIDEO.
Check this site, explains it better...
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html
:) D

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if it's the same issue, but I noticed similar problems when playing the first episode (or two?) of season two on my xbox which was hooked up to an interlaced tv.

FWIW, season three looks amazing (at least, in comparison to the earlier seasons), if you actually manage to get it working...

edit:
Forgot to mention I'm in Australia and was referring to the R4 discs...

JonWacks

Auditioning
Hi, newbie here.
I'm trying to decide whether to go for R1 or R4 with Buffy S3. As I understand it, there are 2 problems with the R1 set:
1) The messed up title music for the first 2 eps.
2) The missing "Previously on Buffy..."s.
Can anyone tell me whether the R1 set does have *any* "previously"s, and which ones exactly it's missing (as compared to the original broadcasts). Also, does the R4 set have all the "previously"s? Or is it missing some too?
Thanks guys!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Can anyone tell me whether the R1 set does have *any* "previously"s, and which ones exactly it's missing (as compared to the original broadcasts). Also, does the R4 set have all the "previously"s? Or is it missing some too?
I have the R4 set and all the "Previously on Buffy" intros are intact. As is the correct title music for the first 2 episodes. As far as I know, the R1 has no "Previously on Buffy" intros(none of the R1 sets do except for "When She Was Bad" on Season 2).

Of course, keep in mind that the R4 set will have the infamous PAL speedup. I don't mind it too much, but your mileage may vary.

JonWacks

Auditioning
Thanks, I didn't even realise that there *were* any "previously"s for series 1 and 2. Can you tell me (off the top of your head) roughly which episodes in these series had "previously"s? Cos now I'm starting to think I shouldn't have got R1 of those sets either... :frowning:

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
JonWacks -
When the US editions of season one and two were issued, a UK site compared them with the UK editions. They found that the US versions had a small improvement in picture quality.
Why not just enjoy your already bought R1s, and save your energy for debating whether or not to do widescreen for season 4 on!;)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Jon, pretty much every episode of Buffy (except the pilot, obviously) originally had a previously segment.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
Season One did not have "previously" segments. They had little promos talking about the Slayer before every episode, which are intact on the R1 releases.

JonWacks

Auditioning
Bleddyn - I appreciate the better picture quality, I really do, but I don't like missing out on actual parts of the show - and I consider the intros part of the episode. My only real problem with getting the R4 set would be missing out on a couple of Joss's interviews. :frowning:
As far as series 4 goes, to paraphrase Oz, as Joss does, I do - 4:3 all the way!
Ryan - Yeah, you're definitely right about series one, they just had the promos (narrated by scary vamp voice). But I'm pretty sure that most of the series 2 episodes also only had those promos(narrated by Giles), not "previously"s, especially since the majority of them were stand-alone eps, not story-arc eps. Or am I getting confused again?
P.S. Stop me if I'm starting to get too nerdy, I just think you guys are the only ones out there who can sort this out for me!

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me if Season One's promos were narrated by Giles or "the voice"? I can't remember for the life of me.
But there were only SOME early Season 2 episodes that carried the promos in front of them. After about 10 episodes, they were gone completely, to make way for the "previously on's". The story arc in early Season 2 didn't require a previously until AFTER Angel became evil. :) Hope that helps.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's a thread for season 3, and it mentions something learned in season 2. I'd say if you're in this thread, be expecting to read something relating to the series up until this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks