What's new

Buffy on sale, and I need some convincing (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Damn that's a good deal-I've never actually watched Buffy, but for that price I might just have to pick up the set. I bought the Firefly box set on the strength of the Astonishing X-Men run, and I'm really enjoying it so far. If Buffy is up to this level of quality, then I might have to check it out.

Only problem is not having the time to watch all of this stuff. If we ever instituted that 35 hour day then maybe, but as it is there just aren't enough hours :)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

exactly, to me Buffy was like an afterthought in the last few seasons, it was characters like Willow, Spike, Anya, Giles and Tara that kept me coming back for more.

Honestly, when SMG announced quitting the show in 2003, I remember myself and a few other Buffy fans thinking they should just change name of the show and carry on without Gellar, that's how good the supporting cast (minus Dawn and Riley IMO) was.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I was having trouble getting registered and placing an order yesterday.
Guess I should have stuck with it. The price today is $284.99.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I guess that puts me in the minority, because Buffy was my favorite character (followed by Xander) and I loved Gellar's performance. I thought acting-wise, she was the weakest link in the first episodes and grew so tremendously through the years. They were all great characters, but I felt that Willow and Giles changed beyond belief in the later few seasons and Xander wasn't utilized very much at that time, but except for the ill-advised fling she had in Season Six, Buffy grew, but also stayed pretty true to the character.

That's the great thing about Buffy, there are so many characters to relate to, that I think anyone with an open mind to get past whatever genre/title skittishness they may have, will find a wealth of riches to enjoy on many levels. I envy people discovering the episodes for the first time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Gellar is magical on Buffy, along with the rest of the cast IMO. Many people hate Gellar, and for that reason will never watch Buffy. Too bad for them.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is amazing. I'm almost positive I will never see a better tv show.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I too am a HUGE Buffy the character fan. I named my wienerdog after her. If SHM is not the nicest actress in Hollywood I do not care. I do not have to work with her. I did work with Ashley Judd, Natalie Portman, Frank Langella, Christopher Plummer and many more pretty famous actors backstage when I was in NYC doing my Broadway crew gig. I could tell you stories, heck, I could write a book. Doesn't affect at all how I view their work. I hava friend who won't watch another Sean Penn film (even though he admits he's a great actor) because of his politics... Silly to me...

And good lord, how bad is SMG? In a world where "actresses" like Lindsay Lohan and paris hilton are drunk outside of some club nightly and screaming at the paparazzi before they drive off into a fender bender? SMG seems pretty tame to me. I think she got bad press because she revealed in magazine inteview that season 7 was her last before she told the cast so they found out through the magazine. Hannigan and Anthony head were pissed I heard. Also she missed the big wrap party after 7 sesaons that EVERYONE was at, even random characters because she couldn't wait one nite to rush off to do the Scooby Doo Sequel. She also didn;t participate in many of the DVD extras after a few seasons.

For this, people actually HATE her? Seems a pretty strong emotion, She showed up, was professional, acted her ass off on a show that centered around her, did the job, did it well. She's off work.She's not "BuffY" off the set or out of work unlike so many "celebs" these days who are just celebs. SHM is an actress. A very good one IMHO.

;)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

the thing I notice that a lot of Buffy fans seem to have against her is the way she really takes Buffy for granted and acts like she's above it. When really, Buffy is what turned her into a big name, she won Emmys for AMC, but it didn't really mean anything outside of the soap crowd.

I personally dislike her husband moreso than her. He admits that he talked her into quitting the series because (and he said this on E!, I remember the interview) "she's too good to be wasting her talents on television", which I find funny considering the mans father was a television star and even he got his best recognition as an actor from a Friends guest shot and eventually had his own flop sitcom (I was so happy "Freddie" was cancelled because it was karma for him talking his wife into quitting Buffy), and he also is the one who played spokesperson that there won't be a Buffy movie, while Sarah actually said she'd consider doing one quite a few times.

Personally, I think she should take the door if it's ever open for her to revive Buffy as a film series. IMO, the only reason The Grudge made $100 million was because of Buffy fans who wanted to see Sarah back in that element again because they'd been missing the show.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
SHM????

Don't think anyone said anything about "hating" her. But on some of the talk shows I saw her on during the run of the show, I found SMG irritating. And I found Buffy the character irritating sometimes, which possibly was intentional for the most part.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
oops! Meant SMG, I can't type for crap.
I'm glad they made Buffy annoying at times, otherwise there would never be any conflict. All of the characters, (except maybe Clem!) were annoying at times. It made them much more 3-dimensional in my opinion.

;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If Joss Whedon, (Buffy creator) SMG, and the rest of the Buffy cast decided to one day work together again, and make a series of Buffy tv movies, or one theatrical film, that would probably be the coolest thing on planet earth. It's sad to hope for such things when I know it will most likely never happen, but we can all dream.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I agree. I've heard people say "Buffy failed as a movie once", but... the 1992 version of Buffy and the SMG Buffy are completely different worlds. If Gellar, Hannigan, Head and everyone else returned for a Buffy movie, it might be really good.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
You know, I still find it amazing that two years after the show is gone, you still can't start a thread with the name Buffy in the title that doesn't run at least two or three pages long. It never fails.

I'll bet I could start a thread that says, "I liked Buffy. Do you?" and the discussion would continue for weeks.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The poeple who get into Buffy wind up REALLY into Buffy usually. We have a fellow Scooby coming over tonite. My fave show...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yep, Buffy/Angel are not shows you can just be passive fans of, you get ADDICTED

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

The core audience isn't really big enough. It's not like Firefly where the show only ran for half a season so it was conceivable to write around that in an attempt to make it accessible to newcomers. There is too much history with the characters to ignore.

The closest anything is likely to come to this is the future "Season 8" comic series.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, Buffy is bigger than Firefly IMO. Look at how "The Grudge" grossed $100 million at the box office, seemed like the majority of people I know who saw it in the theater (myself included) were Buffy fans who kinda missed seeing Gellar playing in the horror element and that it was the next best thing to seeing her as Buffy again. If that rotten piece of crap movie could do so well just because it was a horror starring SMG, I think a Buffy or Angel movie would do even better.

Firefly is a great show too, but it just isn't as famous or widespread as Buffy and Angel were so I think movies for them would do better than Serenity did at the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks