What's new

BUFFY on 1/15/02 (1 Viewer)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
From Watcher's Web (1/10/2000):
Anyone with a widescreen and digital TV
received an unexpected surprise when they tuned in to watch The Freshman on BBC2 this week - it was presented in 16:9 Anamorphic widescreen!
Despite claims by Joss Whedon that the show was not filmed with the intention to be broadcast in this manner, the BBC have obviously obtained the tapes either deliberately or accidentally from Fox. Reports suggest that Whedon's comments about the originally shots not being framed for the larger format and containing elements at the edge of the picture such as bits of cameras lights etc. were correct.
Apart from what were believed to be a few specially prepared clips for MTV Fanatic, this is believed to be the first widescreen transmission of Buffy in the world. The BBC were also the first to screen widescreen episodes of the X -Files earlier in the year.
I have absolutely nothing against widescreen and would love it if Buffy follows Angel but as Jeff says, it's Joss' word that counts.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well that's referring to S4 - which would be okay by your statement that we'd have to wait for S3 for widescreen, surely.
In fact the BBC will have got the tapes because their charter forces them to use a Widescreen version of show if one exists.
They only show buffy 16x9 on their digital BBC2 stream. It is shown in the compromise 14x9 version on the terrestrial version.
Joss may well prefer 4:3 but that's his choice. He is not the director, however, so I'd be surprised if many of his episode directors do not account for the 16:9 shape they're filming for. I would prefer anamorphic 16:9.
For what its worth there are a NUMBER of S5 shots that look cropped to the side on my VHS - you are missing the sides of the two heads in the. You never miss anything vital on the edges but since it's possible to master a 16:9 DVD to have 'pan & scan' flags in that would only show the 4:3 bit of the 16:9 for the Josses of this world why not have the best of both worlds?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have to say I have been watching Buffy on the BBC for Seasons 4 and 5 in widescreen, and whatever Joss Whedon's preferred ratio, it just seems better to me in widescreen.
For want of a better word, it seems more "cinematic" :)
I must admit I am a bit dubious now as to whether Angel Season 1 is in widescreen. Channel 4 showed the first season in UK, and they normally used widescreen broadcasts wherever possible. Admittedly, however, it may just be down to Channel 4's disgraceful treatment of the series when shown (at 3:00 on a Monday morning in some cases)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
As I said before I would love a widescreen Buffy. I have no 16:9 TV but I prefer the artistic possibilities of widescreen cinematography. But Joss Whedon is the creator of the show and also directs the most important episodes. He is also producer and writer and it is his vision. A lot of people on this forum regard the OAR of a movie (or in this cas a TV-show) as the holy grail and so do I.
I am sure that the other directors and especially the cinematographers know that they are shooting for 1,33:1 and are trying to get the best out of it (succeeding in my opinion).
:)
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Taht is how I feel. I don't care if it was shot that way, just as long as it is framed the way Joss wants.
So it won't suck to have Buffy in P&Scan because it isn't really changed, because it is framed that way. You are seeing more than intended, and even though it feels more cinematic, I guess it doesn't matter. But I would sure loved to have seen the Gift in widescreen.... :)
As long as Joss continues to have a say in the DVD's I'll be happy as a clam.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks