What's new

BUFFY on 1/15/02 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend is all over this!
For myself, I'm waiting for the season with Faith and Buffy doing the dance-thing...
biggrin.gif

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question for you Buffy fans - I just watched the 1st episode on FX the other day and found the picture to be REALLY dark. Not just for mood, but all over - I had to crank up the brightness bigtime. Is this indicative of the way the show was shot or just poor presentation on FX's part?
FX's broadcast looked a little on the dark side to me, but not by much. Buffy in its first couple of seasons was a very murky-looking show.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
FX's broadcast looked a little on the dark side to me, but not by much. Buffy in its first couple of seasons was a very murky-looking show.
Buffy is still a dark show. Most of my experience watching it is on properly calibrated Sony monitors direct from satellite feed. While most shows look right with a few dark patches on such equipment, I always want to turn up the brightness control for more shadow detail (but being the professional I am, I resist). A check of the feed against a waveform monitor confirms that the program levels are indeed correct.
= Derek =

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Bad Girls is the episode with Faith and Buffy dancing, Season 3. :)
Like I said, I would expect Seasons 1, 2 next year, maybe season 3 near the very end. And season 4, 5 2003.
That seems the most likely, but hopefully Fox will put them out every four or five months instead of every six.
Also, I read that the DVD's for season 1, 2, 3 are all done, Marti Noxon said somewhere that they are done, and they all recorded commentary's, and that Buffy fans will love them. So I think that we will get some more surprises than region 2.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I invite all of your to join us in the Buffytastic(TM) thread, this is a tad redundant
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Sweet...its about time, now if the would release Angel, life would be good!
Planet of the apes tv show
Buffy the vampire slayer tv sho
Mash the tv show
Hopefully soon!
Angel
Rhett

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
You may find Fox will release the box sets of Buffy quicker than the X Files
Seasons 3 4 5 and 6 are all scheduled to be released in UK by Christmas next year (Oct 29 ; March ; July and Oct 2002)
They may do quicker releases for US as well.
Also Season 2 does include commentaries so I think the US set will be the same
Reptile Boy : David Greenwalt
Whats My Line 1 and 2 : Marti Noxon
Innocence : Joss Whedon (really funny commentary)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
(Edited first comment)
I hope they pick it up, we get screwed so often when it comes to TV in the US, and while it's not Fox's fault, I'm still pissed
frown.gif
I could have my favorite season on DVD in a few weeks instead of year
frown.gif

(hmm, well, I still COULD but that would mean breaking my vow, garr!)
Jeff Kleist
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on September 27, 2001 at 03:26 PM]

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I hope the US version will use the same package as
the UK R2 version. The UK would open with three
plastic flaps that hold the disc and act as the horizontal
bar of a cross. The top flap has pictures and the bottom
fold out flap has pictures and text. It opens to look like
a cross.
I wish I could get the UK R2 package for the Omen 1,2,3.
It has the same cross layout. The US R1 box set has Omen
1,2,3,& 4 (but nobody cares about Omen 4).

Eric_T_B

Grip
Finally their realeasing Buffy the first season on DVD. I'm so excited! I'm preordering that thing real soon.

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the 1st episode on FX the other day and found the picture to be REALLY dark.
I get Buffy syndicated here in Canada on Space, and yes, I've found it to be quite dark too. One good example was during "Out of Mind, Out of Sight", when Buffy chases the invisible girl into a classroom. The invisible girl crawls up into a ceiling tile, but the room is so dark that you can't really SEE it. It's only until you see Buffy jumping up and going above that you figure out what's happened.
I think the show being dark could be a combination of things. If it was shot in 16mm, then maybe one could assume that 16mm can't resolve shots in low light as well as 35mm can.
Considering certain TV series take a full year to release seasons on DVD for (Sex and the City comes to mind), even having to wait 6 months for S2 of Buffy isn't all that bad. The real key for me is S3, as that's when I started watching the show. I need my Evil Willow fix from "The Wish" and "Dopplegangland"! :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well over here in the UK they have totally failed to 'step up' the release of Buffy and Angel despite there being no blocks for them. We got Buffy S1 towards the end of '99 as I remember and then had to wait about 8 months for S2 in May/June time.
Now S2 looked rushed on the print. Yeah it's 16mm but S1 looks a lot better than some of the early episodes. Now we're getting S3 at the end of next month (this is why they're saying the first three sesons are finished).
As for extras, the R2 has commentary on both Welcome to the Hellmouth and The Harvest (this has to be identical on the US set). The Joss episode talks definitely sound new though we do get a couple of things not mentioned in the original post (probably still on there though):
* Pilot Script
* Hepburn "I Quit" Music Video (Buffy Version) - Okay yo can hope you *don't* get this one.
wink.gif

* 10 Page photo gallery
* Cast Biographies - going by the errors in Tony Head's you can only hope this was due to his British origins and doesn't reflect the rest of the cast!
Theo

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Angel Season 1 will be released in the UK on December 10th.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Well, the first season filmed in widescreen is Season 3 so Season 1 and 2 should be fullscreen.
------------------

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure? Because Buffy began filming in widescreen in season 4, which was the first season of Angel, so I just figured that Angel was always filmed in widescreen, and that the 3rd season is the first to be shown that way for those who don't have a widescreen TV.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
You are right Robert. But Buffy was always meant to be Full Screen, Whedon prefers it - even if it was broadcasted 16:9 for digital TVs. So was Angel in his first two season which means that you wiull have to wait until season 3 of Angel before you can watch it in full anamorphic glory.
The director's intended aspect ratio is Fullscreen.
------------------

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
And before anyone asks, Greenwalt is theone who prefers 16:9, and this year he has basically taken full control of Angel, so he can make those choices. 4:3 is how they were shown originally,and is Joss's STATED preference. So no matter how much I want my Buffy goodness in widescreen, I will survive.
"And Lord Whedon did say, thy Buffy shall be 4:3, and it shall be good"
Joss 3:16
:)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah but do you have a widescreen TV
wink.gif

BBC show it in widescreen now suggesting that it has been created that way. If Fox want it that way he has no say so - regardless of making it wide, they pretty much always frame for 4:3 but I would imagine Fox have final say about what goes on in FX stuff.
My comment regarding Fullscreen was a reference to Angel.
Check out the IMDB technical specs for Buffy: Link Removed
and not the aspect ratio changed when the film type changed. There are no technical specs for Angel but as it runs concurrent with Buffy S4 which *is* wide for sure it would be safe to assume it is filmed for a wide aspect ratio. Unfortunately the BBC do not own the series so they even cut out the 'previously on Angel' sections from Buffy, thus stopping us seeing if Angel is cropped from 16:9. It looks it on my VHS.
Theo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks