What's new

budget subs: Sony sa-wm500 or Dayton 10"? (1 Viewer)

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
i just went to circuit city and picked up the sony, and it sounded a lot better than i thought for sony home audio equipment. i can find these for $160 shipped online.

however, im also contemplating the dayton that everyone here claims is the best bang for the buck. then again, so is the sony.

other than the difference in cost for these 2 which i will be able to live w/, which one should i get, mainly for movies? reason i ask is that i can audition the sony, but not the dayton. going into a room 20' x 10', of which the HT is set up to only 1/2 the room.

thanks!

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Dayton and I have heard the Sony at my friends house. I prefer the Dayton. I think it packs more 'punch' than the Sony. I love my Dayton. I cannot imagine anything better for the price. It was a lot cheaper than the Sony price you quoted. FWIW, I have not heard anything better for the price. I liked the Sony ok, I just like the Dayton a lot better. I, too, was worried about purchasing something I couldn't look at or listed to but for ~100$ how wrong can you really be.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I went solely on the say-so of all the happy Dayton owners on this forum.(and some that have only heard the Dayton). For my limited budget, and the fact that I am a few years away from an SVS,I will say that it is [rant]by far[/rant] an increase in performance and quality vs. the htib pile o' dung that I was previously tolerating.
Sorry, I haven't heard the Sony, but have heard of good results after the poly-fil mod.
good luck,

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
The Dayton's great. I love mine :) You can see how it did in a sub shootout TosH did earlier this year:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=180352

The excursion capability of the driver is impressive. It's got a pretty good sized rubber surround. I've driven it to near deafening levels in my room (10'x12') and it hasn't bottomed out. It packs some serious punch when the driver's really traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks