What's new

Budget sub (1 Viewer)

Ian1

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Can anyone please help me. I have a pair of B & W bookshelf speakers, 602s, that is connected to a Sony receiver (STR-DH100). I would like to complete the set-up with a budget sub. My limit is $250. I came down to two subs that have great reviews on CNET but I have never heard or listened to them before: 1. Mordaunt-Short Carnival 9 a. Frequency response is 25hz to 150hz b. Output is 100 watts 2. Outlaw M8 a. Frequency response is 29hz to 250hz b. Output is 125 watts I will mostly use the system to play games on my Sony Playstation and watch movies. I am looking for a sub that has a mixture of boom and musical fill-in. Thanks for your advice.

Ian1

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
Hi Sam, The Outlaw I was told will be available again in the Spring. They currently have a few refurbs in stock with full warranty. But not sure if I should just wait. You had recommended the Mordaunt Short Carnival 9 back in January. Thanks for your help but still unsure. Out of the Carnival and the Outlaw you seem to prefer the Outlaw. Did you hear it before or is it the specs you're going by. Thanks again for help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I actually prefer, of those two, the MS-C9. Why? Cause it is bigger than the other one. In subwoofers, if all things are "equal"...bigger wins. Basic high school physics.

Ian1

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
I see. Do you know if the MS-C9 have a break in period.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the bass drivers, the epoxy on the spiders will soften a little during the first few hours of playing which will lower the Fs and Qms slightly. This change is usually within the standard deviation of drivers as they come off the assembly line and can rarely be heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks