What's new

buck rogers in the 25th century dvd release (1 Viewer)

I loved this show when it first aired. I have had the boxed set since it was first released and haven't be able to get past Episode 10. May try to start there next time!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looking forward to my copy arriving next week. I always enjoyed the show, and while I have the complete series DVDs, the double-sided discs had so many errors that I couldn't watch many episodes all the way through. Glad to see this on single-sided discs, and I hope to never see another double-sided disc again. (BTW, I've tried those double-sided discs on no less than 5 players, all with poor results.)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I guess I'm the weird one here? I've never had an issue with the discs on my Magnavox player/recorder that I bought 8-10 years ago nor on any LG blu-ray I've tried it on. Weird. :confused:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Your not alone Ron. This original set is great for me, I'm happy with it and no reason at all to upgrade. I've never had a problem with any of the many Universal DVD-18's that I own on any of my 4 machines. The old and new ones. I know others do have problems but it always baffles me.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Randy Korstick said:
Your not alone Ron. This original set is great for me, I'm happy with it and no reason at all to upgrade. I've never had a problem with any of the many Universal DVD-18's that I own on any of my 4 machines. The old and new ones. I know others do have problems but it always baffles me.
That's one reason I'm in no hurry to upgrade over my current DVD player. It isn't HDMI compatible sadly but it has component outputs, S-video and regular coaxial outputs. Does a heckuva job and I've never been able to tell the difference between it on standard DVD"s as opposed to upconverting Blu-ray's.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Jeff*H said:
Overall, it's nice to truly have the Complete Series at last with both the theatrical and tv versions of the pilot now on DVD. Perhaps one day we will see this on blu-ray, but I wouldn't expect that anytime soon--maybe if it returns to TV syndication someday, new HD transfers will be struck, although I'd much rather see the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA get that treatment first (Universal, are you listening?--2013 is the 35th anniversary of GALACTICA, show it some love and get it out on blu-ray!)
Don't expect that to happen, if ever-only the 2004-2009 remake of Galactica is considered to be a success in the minds of the public, and that show will always be on Blu-Ray. The old show's considered to be an anachronism.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've played my original release on at least 3 different players, RCA, Philips and now Panny blu ray and there have been zero problems. They work great. About to start a second go around and we'll see... but I almost never get fingerprints and scratches on things even if I do have a brand new back up copy as I do these. So they'll play perfect again.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Sky Captain said:
Don't expect that to happen, if ever-only the 2004-2009 remake of Galactica is considered to be a success in the minds of the public, and that show will always be on Blu-Ray. The old show's considered to be an anachronism.
Wow you couldn't have got everything more backwards. New BG had a few good episodes but overall was a huge dissapointment with one of the worst endings to a sci-fi series ever and had horrible and unnecessary changes to the original characters. I'll never watch it again and will stick to the original and only BG. If the new series were on a major network it would have only lasted one season as well. Major Networks always pull the plug quickly on expensive shows which makes you wonder why they bother with them. Even the Classic original Star Trek could only last 3 years. If there had been all these small cable networks back then it would have run at least twice that long and the same can be said for the original BG.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wow you couldn't have got everything more backwards. New BG had a few good episodes but overall was a huge dissapointment with one of the worst endings to a sci-fi series ever and had horrible and unnecessary changes to the original characters.
Ummm... Nope. :) - Walter.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think he's saying that, for better or worse, that's the public perception of BSG. And he's correct in saying that.
Not the public I know. The original was on a Major Network and everyone knows the show. The new one was on Sci-Fi channel that many people do not have or watch unless they are hard core sci-fi fans which is what the new show was designed for not the Mass public like the original. So no data to back up a statement like "Public Perception" Its nothing more than an opinion.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
Not the public I know. The original was on a Major Network and everyone knows the show.
If it was 1985, I might agree with you but since the original series ran for one season about 35 years ago, it's safe to say that few people outside of sci-fi fans remember it. And in 2040, very few people outside of sci-fi fans will remember the remake series. Public awareness doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other but the remake series got critical recognition, is a popular Netflix title and simply because it's newer means that the average joe would be more familiar with the remake series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The original series-A classic. GINO-A niche piece of garbage that destroyed everything that was special about the original series, insulted its fanbase who had spent 25 years keeping interest in the property alive, and which only got renewed for five years despite consistently declining ratings from the beginning (and drawing a rating worse than the XFL did the one time it aired on a major network) beacuse it was the teacher's pet property of Sci-Fi channel executives. They're going to remember Dirk Benedict as the REAL Starbuck a lot longer than some whiny female given the same name by a producer who seemed hell-bent determined to turn all the traditional action hereos of the original into his PC model template of the future. Hence, Commander Cain, so memorably played by Lloyd Bridges in the original becomes a butch female in the remake (I predicted this would happen before it did) and this same producer in making Colonel Tigh a lush with an unfaithful wife (ripping off "In Harms Way" for that cliche) lacked the guts to keep him a black man as he was in the original. All GINO did was prove in a nutshell what's wrong with modern TV on a lot of levels.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The original Galactica - superb. The new series...well what can you say about a show that was nothing more then blatant franchise hijacking? The 'creator' only watched a few episodes of the original and clearly states he doesn't understand the whole following that it has. The new series completely betrayed it's own premise in more ways than one. In particular it stopped being about the survial of the human race and became a parlor game of 'who are the Cylons' and an extended argument over conflicting religious theologies. Then there is the completley worthless ending that throws out all logic and any reasonable explanation by simply saying 'God did it.' A complete cop out. The show is quite possibly the most completley overrated show to hit the airwaves in recent years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
The original series-A classic. GINO-A niche piece of garbage that destroyed everything that was special about the original series, insulted its fanbase who had spent 25 years keeping interest in the property alive, and which only got renewed for five years despite consistently declining ratings from the beginning (and drawing a rating worse than the XFL did the one time it aired on a major network) beacuse it was the teacher's pet property of Sci-Fi channel executives. They're going to remember Dirk Benedict as the REAL Starbuck a lot longer than some whiny female given the same name by a producer who seemed hell-bent determined to turn all the traditional action hereos of the original into his PC model template of the future. Hence, Commander Cain, so memorably played by Lloyd Bridges in the original becomes a butch female in the remake (I predicted this would happen before it did) and this same producer in making Colonel Tigh a lush with an unfaithful wife (ripping off "In Harms Way" for that cliche) lacked the guts to keep him a black man as he was in the original. All GINO did was prove in a nutshell what's wrong with modern TV on a lot of levels.
But there are plenty of people who loved the remake series as much as you enjoyed the original series. Personally, I think the remake series was excellent overall and I think the original is laughable but I acknowledge that both versions have very passionate fans who will remain devoted fans for years to come. That being said, neither BSG will particularly live on in the minds of the general public. They aren't pop culture touchstones like I Love Lucy or Star Trek or Seinfeld or The Simpsons where the average guy on the street would recognize one of the main characters from the show.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
People still remember Lost in Space. So why not BSG? Both shows, the old and the new, were well received by critics and fans. Only time will tell, of course. ;)

I know lots of younger people who know this show, probably because of the Sci-Fi Channel reruns. I always found this show to be very sexy...lol.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Randy Korstick said:
Wow you couldn't have got everything more backwards. New BG had a few good episodes but overall was a huge dissapointment with one of the worst endings to a sci-fi series ever and had horrible and unnecessary changes to the original characters. I'll never watch it again and will stick to the original and only BG. If the new series were on a major network it would have only lasted one season as well. Major Networks always pull the plug quickly on expensive shows which makes you wonder why they bother with them. Even the Classic original Star Trek could only last 3 years. If there had been all these small cable networks back then it would have run at least twice that long and the same can be said for the original BG.
I'm sorry to have to bust your bubble, but this is true, Ken; most people didn't consider the original series to be that great, and most of the time, it was pilloried as being cheesy and lame by most critics compared to the revival series-just check any of the reviews of the new BSG. I know that you and everybody else here love the original series to bits, but you (and most of the fans of the original) are in the minority on this one (and I'm not being dismissive of you when I say that.)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Most people." Gee, funny how so few of them were watching GINO. And most of these "critics" were ones who frequently gave a free pass to many of the poor scripts of original Star Trek and deified it to something it wasn't; while they were taking their shots at Galactica (more because Galactica bucked a trend of most sci-fi shows. It actually had a positive view of the traditional Judeo-Christian concept of good and evil and didn't subscribe to the secular relativism that is usually fawned over by many of the so-called "criitics") Galactica had flaws in its execution that had more to do with a rush to put it on the air, scripts that were demanded on short notice and network interference on certain areas that gave us annoying things like Boxey and Muffit. But Galactica's template marked a fundamental breakthrough in sci-fi TV compared to many of its contemporaries of that era (especially compared to formula generic shows like Logan's Run or the TV Planet Of The Apes, and certainly light years ahead of a real cheese-fest that was "Buck Rogers") and also produced outstanding episodes like "Living Legend", "War Of The Gods", the original pilot and the last episode "The Hand Of God" that I rate as good as any solid episode of Trek (and after revisiting such godawful clunkers of TOS that predated the writing of "Spock's Brain", namely "By Any Other Name", "The Apple" and "Wolf In The Fold" it's evident that Trek's overall ratio of good to above average episodes was about one-third at best).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks