What's new

BTTF: R1 version will not have dts tracks; Petition needed for 4th disc!!! (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
It's simple,really.
I'd rather have a good DD track & extras.
I like DTS.
It gives me another option.
Great.
On certain DVD's DTS is better sounding.
But not all.
If DTS was the be all end all - all films would be using DTS tracks - & don't give me the Dolby conspiracy theory.
This whole DD vs DTS thing is plain nuts.
Now if Joe Shmow was saying that there isn't a real noticable difference between the BTTF DTS track & the DD track,that would be one thing.
But,the BTTF producer himself, Mr. Bob Gale, has said exactly that. And,IMHO, he knows more about the BTTF trilogy than any of us.
I think I'll trust his judgement.
The fact that DTS didn't exist in 1985 helps,too.
John W. is right about OAR. Hey,that includes audio as well. The MGM Terminator DD track is awful! Give me the original anyday.
And,in closing,like others have previously stated, anyone who wouldn't buy this,especially if they love these films,simply because there is no DTS track,is missing out.
Their loss.
Calvin
(phew! Guess my gander got up...:D )

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"This whole DD vs DTS thing is plain nuts."

Your so right.

As far as my stance on original audio goes, I would really like it if they would include it on those films, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they didn't.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
With regards to the 90-second trailer. They're running out of room, okay, but how much space can a 90-second trailer take up? I mean, it's not like I expect it to be 16:9-enhanced, 5.1. Even if it doesn't look that good, it would be a hell of a lot better than my little AVI file.

Hope they include that, since it hasn't been pressed yet.

TysonK

Agent
After reading the article on bttf.com about the R1 release, there was mention at the very end that Bob Gale is pushing for a 4th disc that customers can get through a mail offer. I'm thinking something similiar to the Alien Legacy mail offer. I guess the discs are done according to the article but there is alot of spillover material. I kinda think this may happen since the fans want it. However, isn't the packaging something like a digipak or 3 disk amaray? If there will be fourth disc then there would be no place to put the disc..

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
there was mention at the very end that Bob Gale is pushing for a 4th disc that customers can get through a mail offer.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :angry:
I'm still cheesed off that I could never get the 5th Alien disc. and unfortunately I bought it before the R2 and R4 releases, which sensibly included the 5th disc automatically without having to mail anything.
this really screws non-US customers up, we're not eligible for these mail offers. grrrrrrr... :thumbsdown:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am glad DTS is not going to be on this disc before it will affect the picture quality since the extras are on the same disc. Adding a forth disc with extras would make sense, but I will be happy with a good sounding DD 5.1 track.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have read this thread with great interest about the dropping of DTS off the BTTF Discs. For me I am fine with this and I will buy the R1 disc. If you don't like what your seeing, don't buy it or buy the region you want. It is not the end of the world. I agree with John Williamson and Terrell about this.
The idea that Bob Gale is pushing for a 4th disc via mail order is great. I am sure that even if we non US would be able to get our hands on that disc. If we can import discs from all over the world whether it be r1, r2, r3 or r4 then it is also possible to get our hands on that 4th disc. Is it not true that r2 has the 4 disc alien set. It is all about choice.
I will most likely get blasted for saying this, yet "Get A Life" is a quote from William Shatner himself that I think would not be out of place here.
I believe that when the sales figures are in for the R4 edition over the first month or so before the R1 discs are finally being mastered, Universal could be persuaded by this to maybe reconsider a 4 disc set.
Perhaps the way to show Universal is to buy the R4 edition that perhaps in the end, r1 will get the 4 disc edition
just my 2 cents.
regards
Oscar
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I'll probably get the R2 or R4 for the movies first (I don't care about the DTS much but I want the movies now :)) and then I'll get the R1 come December.
I really wish they'd use four discs because I love BTTF so much I'd like to have all the extras they could possibly give me... The R1 sounds like a teriffic set, though (especially at this price).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Is it not true that r2 has the 4 disc alien set. It is all about choice.
sort-of, Oscar, but my complaint is slightly different. R1 released the 4 Alien movies in a box set and gave a coupon (with limited validity, mind you) allowing US consumers to send for the 5th disc. silly me I bought this, and got stuck because the coupon is only valid for US residents. and enlisting a US resident to help out might not have worked either, since you had to include the sales receipt with purchase price circled and all that.
R2 and R4 subsequently came out with 5-disc sets, i.e. all 4 movies as well as the bonus 5th disc that only came via mail for the R1 set. so in retrospect I should have held out, but who knew at the time?
now, we have a situation where BTTF appears to already be superior extras-wise in R1 as compared to R2 and R4, especially R4 where it's already available. if R1 does indeed come up with a 4th disc by mail only, there is little or no chance that it will ever be available in R2 or R4 at all, whether by mail or already included in the box (as in the case of Alien Legacy).
in short, this means that non-US residents will NEVER get the 4th disc of extra material. hence my rant.

Mark_Davis

Grip
What bothers me is that we are all for OAR but when it comes to audio we want the latest whizz-bang thing...
I will be disappointed if the original soundtrack is not available... With a lot of films I prefer to watch them OAR and OAP (Original Audio Presentation :))...
Now you may aruge that it is the director's intention but it is a revised intention... as it stands if there is no original soundtrack then I can't watch the film as it was originally presented cinematically.. I can downmix the 5.1 to 2.0 but this doesn't represent the 2.0 mix perfectly.
So why is there a double standard here? Someone mentioned audio purists wanting DTS... Surely if they were a purist they would want the original audio?
In some cases films have had their original audio elements replaced to enable a 5.1 mix... how is that any different to presenting the film in the wrong aspect ratio?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Yee Ming

I understand your frustration about this, but I am positive that members of HTF will most likely help you out in this occasion, am I right about this ? You might be in luck as well.

Then again there is always E-bay which is always pricey. So that will not be an option in this case as that particular disc will be hot potatoes so as too speak. (this is pure speculation on my part and I am against this sort of practice in any case)

Cheers

Oscar

David Judah

Screenwriter
We have yet another thread to bash those who might like to have a DTS soundtrack--talk about an over-reaction. All of a sudden the names fanatics, zealots, and elitists are thrown out, when no one has said they wouldn't purchase the title because it lacked DTS.

Everybody has their "thing." Some like oogles of extras, original cover art, dedicated soundtrack, director's commentary, etc... And yes some would like to have DTS in an oft-delayed, popular release.

Is it so hard to understand in a five year old DVD market where new releases are continually pushing the envelope in the amount of value added features that some might want the "full meal deal?"

DJ

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Nobody is bashing those who might like to have DTS. We're criticizing those that complain and make overboard statements like:

some might want the "full meal deal?"
What full meal deal? You're getting a hell of a lot more without the DTS track than you would with it. There's always SuperBit if you don't like extras.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Everyone is pushing for a 4th disc in the R1 set but...

Bab Gale and Neil Canton have or will record(ed) three seperate full-length commentaries for all three films.

Michael J. Fox has recorded a selected scenes commentary for Back to The Future.

How praytell do you expect to view these on a seperate DVD?

Two DVD players perhaps?

Yannick Martin

Stunt Coordinator

I prefer picture and sound quality to extras and if R4 can get a DTS track then R1 should have one. IMHO, on my setup, DTS sound more natural than DD (specially with music), even on older title like Fantasia.

YM

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
When does a half-bitrate DTS track sound better than a 448k Dolby Digital track?
When Spielberg decides to cook the mix in an effort to showcase DTS. See 'Saving Private Ryan' and the re-released DTS disc of 'Jurassic Park'.
Based on Zemeckis' comments, it sure appears that the DTS mix for this release isn't a special cooked one, and we aren't going to be missing a thing.
It is a shame that the potential of (separate release) full-bitrate DTS has been discarded in lieu of a format that is basically used as a marketing tool due to its hyped reputation.
Not buying this release based on the absence of a half-bitrate DTS track is, in my opinion, misguided.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
How praytell do you expect to view these on a seperate DVD?
Two DVD players perhaps?
:confused:
Obviously you can't put the audio commentaries on an extra disc. But some of the other extras could be moved.
I'm not too happy about the idea of a 4th disc mail-in kinda thing, though. What the hell is the point? Either include the damn thing from the start or leave it be, ffs.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks