What's new

BTTF: R1 version will not have dts tracks; Petition needed for 4th disc!!! (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I'm all for DTS tracks, but they don't always sound better than DD tracks. And if these don't, who cares? Gimme extras. DTS didn't even exist when these films were released in theaters, anyways. I just hope they do the fourth disc thing, whether they add the DTS tracks or not. It sounds like they've got more bonus material than they know what to do with.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I think I agree with most of the people here. The loss of the dts track is a minor loss to me.

Elaborating on what Brenton said, these movies were made way before dts even existed and was made in a time when multi-channel discrete soundtracks were very rare. These movies certainly were never originally created to be in 5.1 surround sound. We should be glad that the movies are even in any 5.1 format and not just Dolby Pro-Logic.

Lastly, if they did end up keeping the dts tracks but had to sacrifice one of the worthwhile extras, or video bitrate in the main feature, that would be a huge loss. You all should be thankful that the dts track is being omitted for something that in the end will be much more worthwhile.

Don't take this as me not being a fan of dts. I really enjoy listening to a good dts track, but there are far too many examples when you cant even hear a difference between the Dolby 5.1 and dts tracks.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd much rather have a dts track and less extras, but, I am happy to finally (almost) have this disks in my hands (or player).
Peace Out~:D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Half bitrate DTS sucks. Better to leave it off, save a disc, and save me a buck.

DTS ain't what it used to be. Unless we go to separate releases with a full bitrate DTS track and no DD5.1 track, I hope DTS dies.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Oh come on now, let's not get into this whole "halfrate DTS sucks so they shouldn't use it at all" argument. What I said was DTS sounded better on my setup, I'm not talking about anybody else.

Adam, what's the time difference thing about? Which film? What's missing? As I said before, if these are deleted scenes and such it doesn't make much difference to me.

Brett C

Second Unit
This really sucks... I will just get the r4 set now...I don't care how subtle the improvement is its still an improvement! And I myself care more about the quality of the presentation then the added fluff to the set...

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy to be getting these discs, in what sounds like a great presentation, and lots of extras. No release is ever perfect for everyone. Kudos to all involved for a quality effort in my opinion!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ya know, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, some of you DTS fanatics really need to seek some form of counceling. :)
Seriously, were talking about a film from 1985 here, your not going to get a soundtrack like Saving Private Ryan from a film that old, unless of course they completly overhaul the entire track which would TRULY suck. I'm no audio purist, but I still would like the original audio track on their.
The DD tracks on these dvd's will be MORE than adequate. And just out of curiousity, if you guys are so hung up on the audio portion of films, shouldn't you be listening to the films in Dolby Surround 2.0 anyway? That is afterall the films original soundtracks.
What happened to the audio purists here?

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes the framerate issue. I figured that's what he was talking about afterwards.

This is a non-starter for me now because WinDVD4 now offers a "PAL Truespeed" option. 4% slowdown I think. It works pretty well with film based sources.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adam, what's the time difference thing about? Which film? What's missing? As I said before, if these are deleted scenes and such it doesn't make much difference to me.
Nothing's missing, just sped up. Stephen's got the basics right, but it's actually 25 fps instead of 24 fps.
NTSC compensates by duplicating 6 frames a second (usually at the player level with DVDs since many DVDs are tagged for progressive playback and are encoded at 23.976 frames per second).
EDIT: That's a cool feature... I didn't know it existed. Since it does, more power to you, and enjoy the extra resolution and DTS:)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Well, the R4 is out for people to analyse Mr Gale's comments and I do detect a difference between the two tracks, particularly as the R4 DD track is recorded at 384kbps. However, it is not a major difference and if the R1 has a full DD bitrate track it shouldn't be a big issue. The DTS track does sound less compressed and more balanced. But remember these films are a decade or more old - they don't sound like Saving Private Ryan.

At least it gives me an excuse I was looking for to buy the R1 set, as well. I'll certainly watch the R4 when I want the movie, and the R1 for the extras.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I think sometimes a lot of us get hung up over the technical details, and forget to sit back and enjoy the movie. Would I like a DTS track? Sure. But I don't even have the disc in hand yet to hear the DD version, so why complain unless the DD isn't up to par?
According to Bob Gale, the DD audio sounds great...so sit back and enjoy the movie (when it ships.). :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Julian, the R1 will definately run the DD at the full bitrate Dolby on DVD runs with as that's typical for universal. The two commentaries for each movie will probably be low bitrate encodings and possibly even mono in presentation thus freeing up more space for quality.

My love for the trilogy being so strong, the R1 is a no brainer for me, I'd accept no substitute. To see Bob Gayle going on about the R1 disc, being so heavily involved in its making and the fact that the R1 set will really serve as the nice extensive SE presentation of the three movies so many fans have dreamed for since back in the LD days, really excites me.

Dan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks they had sounded so similar, why would both be needed?
It just seems like more and more people don't give a flip about what filmmakers say. I'm sure if George Lucas was to put the first editions of the SW movies on DVD, there would be people complaining that DTS wasn't on the discs. :D

Henry Woo

Agent
Just to clarify my stance on this issue since I originated this thread.

In my mind, the BTTF trilogy makes up three classic films that are stronger together in themes/storylines than when shown/watched separately. In short, especially after the long wait, the trilogy should be getting the royal treatment. And Bob Gale seems to be trying to do that in gathering/putting together as much extras as possible on each disc and kudoes to him for doing so.

My fear is that the video/audio quality will be sacrificed/compromised in trying to load up the discs. Sure, the picture/sound will be done so as to be acceptable to most people but I am pretty sure if the extras were pushed to separate discs, the extra space could be used to maximize the bit rates for the audio/video as well as provide room for the dts tracks. I know the films are older (ie. before dts) but in most cases in quality sound systems, you will hear a difference with the dts tracks.

I don't want to turn this into another dts versus dd battle, because it shouldn't be. Bottom line, if the 'Die Hard' series can dedicate 2 discs for each movie, I am pretty sure the BTTF series deserve similar treatment.

I want dts plus all the extras you can find. Let add more discs to the set. I am just afraid with what Universal did with 'Jaws' (cut half of the laserdisc documentary) and 'ET' (original version on higher price dvd set), that they are going to be shortchanging BTTF also.

Don't get me wrong. It sounds like the BTTF trilogy will get a good dvd treatment/release in N.A. However it could have been great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks