What's new

Brothers and Sisters season 5 thread (2 Viewers)

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I am going to keep watching it, hoping that the writing will improve.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As if it wasn't obvious, we've seen the last of Holly, at least as a series regular: TVLine.com

I have mixed feelings on the last two episodes and the season as a whole. It's been a lot of people coming and going, saying hello, saying goodbye. In that regard, season five feels like ER. Robert died, Rebecca came and went, David jetted off to New York, Holly lost her memory/got it back and it going to New York, Tommy mysteriously disappeared after the crash and so on.

Now with Holly, David and Rebecca gone, not to mention the ominous ending to the episode with Kitty, the show hasn't been able to get on any one track and stay there. Nora's relationship with Carl fizzled rather fast when he stuck his foot in his mouth. There seem to be no lingering consequences of Scotty's infidelity. Holly gets a three minute send off when she's been on the show for five years?

The show needs to stabilize itself and figure out who will actually stick around full time for the end of the year. I'm tired of the revolving door. (Oh, and Tommy comes back next week.)

As for the episode, it was alright. Nothing spectacular, but I did like seeing Nora and Holly in action one more time. Scotty and Kevin tagteaming on being disciplinarians was also a nice look into the future. The Saul/Jonathan storyline didn't drag out for a year. I'm not looking forward to next week.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
So, is Holly gone now? Finally?

The Kevin/Scotty adoption storyline was the one that kept my interest. And it's always great to see Richard Chamberlain. Here or as a baddie on "Chuck"

I really liked the Sarah/Paige dynamic as well.Where is Conner, though? We haven't seen him for a while.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yes, Patricia Wettig is gone as a series regular. She may turn up from time to time as a guest star.

(To answer about where Seth came from: Kitty was in a coffee shop and he gave her his number via her coffee. That's pretty much the short version.)

In regards to last night...Sarah was perfectly justified in being upset with Tommy. He takes off after the accident, doesn't stay in touch with his family drops in almost unexpectedly with Rose and proceeds to ask Sarah to back him in a new venture. It's kind of like "hey sis...haven't seen you in a while. Can I have some money?" No mention of his neice Paige or nephew Cooper. Didn't ask how Luc was. He saw Kevin for five whole minutes. Not only does he want money, but he's getting married after six months of knowing Rose with no mention of his own daughter Elizabeth or ex-wife Julia. And I wonder why I don't like Tommy.

As for the entire episode...again, it wasn't terrible, but not where I wanted it to be. It's another coming and going episode, with Annie exiting stage right and Olivia, Rose, Tommy and Luc all coming back. I really wish, though, they'd get away from Walker family blow-ups at dinner. The minute dinner was served, I knew there was going to be a problem.

(I'm far more vested in the Scotty/Kevin/Olivia storyline than anything else right now. They were very smart to keep her away from the dinner.)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is this show coming back now that Sally Field has signed on for "Lincoln"?

I joined this in year two and Justin seemed like an outsider, another on of the illegitimate Walker clan. Obviously not since he married his half-sister Rebecca, now thankfully written out. But what's his back story? REELZ just started the series from the beginning, sadly I didn't notice until episode 15, but it's nice to see the background on some of the characters.

Patricia Wettig seems to always be in the current credits, yet haven't seen her in a month or more.

This show definitely starts and drops story lines at any time with no explanation, but still fun to watch.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Quote:Patricia Wettig seems to always be in the current credits, yet haven't seen her in a month or more

She hasn't been on the show for a few months now. That whole family just seemed to drop off the face of the planet.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Stan said:
Is this show coming back now that Sally Field has signed on for "Lincoln"?

I joined this in year two and Justin seemed like an outsider, another on of the illegitimate Walker clan. Obviously not since he married his half-sister Rebecca, now thankfully written out. But what's his back story? REELZ just started the series from the beginning, sadly I didn't notice until episode 15, but it's nice to see the background on some of the characters.

Patricia Wettig seems to always be in the current credits, yet haven't seen her in a month or more.

This show definitely starts and drops story lines at any time with no explanation, but still fun to watch.
Okay, here's the deal. Most recent reports point to the show coming back for a short final season of 6-13 episodes. The show is getting quite expensive and is not bringing in the ratings it once did. We'll know for sure in a few weeks at the ABC Upfront. And here we go into spoilers for the series: they initially suspected Rebecca was a Walker, but it turned out she is not. Therefore, Justin did not marry his half-sister. As for Justin, he's ex-military (Iraq and Afghanistan), formerly drug addict and has/had PTSD. He's the youngest Walker by about ten years, which may contribute to the feeling of outsider-ness you pointed out. And Patricia Wettig was written out of the show, along with David and Rebecca, earlier this year. After the accident, the family moved to New York. My suspicion is Wettig's contract says she has to be listed in the opening credits for the season even if she's written out. I hope that helps. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought tonight's episode was a return to form in some ways. I have not been paying full attention the past few weeks or months worth of episodes. But I was following the storyline with Brody and I liked that they seemed to sort that out with Nora and Sarah accepting him. The bit with Kitty seemed to come out of nowhere, well see how that works out. After all, Scotty and Kevin got their baby back. Sarah's wedding made it feel like a series finale when Sally Field did her voice over.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nelson Au said:
Sarah's wedding made it feel like a series finale when Sally Field did her voice over.
Absolutely agreed. The episode had a very...final feel to it. Most of the loose ends were wrapped up, everyone is happy and there aren't many storylines left open for the writers to latch onto fir a possible sixth season. Certainly Saul and Jonathan is one, potentially. Meeting Brody's family, maybe introducing Luc's father, Tyler and Justin,. Kitty and Seth...but none really grab me as "ohhh, I have to see what's going to happen." I can see a very short 6-13 episode season next year, but that might be stretching things a bit. Frankly, if this was the series finale, I'd be alright with it. Sad, but alright. I've been through a lot with this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks