What's new

Directors Brook's Universal Collection Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Invisible Man advances 1-0 with me abstaining again to avoid the flip and REALLY disagreeing again. Whale's film is a fine rendering of the classic novel, but Sirk's is a powerfully important and deceptively complex look at racial, generational and parenting relationships and conflicts.

The Bride Of Frankenstein advances 6-0 including my vote. Sorry Starfighter, you'll have to return to defending the frontier against Zur and the Kodan Armada.

Final Round 1 Bracket (and the two toughest matchups of the first round)

The Shape Of Things
vs.
The Mummy

The Big Lebowski
vs.
Being John Malkovich

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Being John Malkovich

I must say I am surprised to see this movie taking a 3-0 lead over The Big Lebowski considering how highly regarded that movie seems to be around here.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Big Lebowski - For me, a more consistent film experience and certainly a funnier film. I admire BJM for its unconventional plot and its eccentricities but I tend to appreciate the film more on an intellectual level, vs. relishing the film the way I do with Lebowski ( which is just as clever in its own ways, despite being more derivative. )

{ Sort of ironic I suppose, since emotional distance is one of the frequent criticisms directed at the Coens. )

- Walter.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
No, you're thinking of Fargo.

Lebowski was Grammercy and I believe may have been released by USA who were bought/merged with Universal. Work with me here.

Help! My wife won't let me watch a movie. She commandeered the TV to watch Angel S2. Damn that Deepdiscount sale! :frowning:

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I really want to believe you Brook...but my Lebowski DVD says Polygram all over it... :D

I'm currently being forced to watch the first 2 seasons of Smallville on DVD....44 1-hour episodes!!!!! :frowning:

My DeepDiscount order still hasn't arrived....

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Shape Of Things advances 4-1 including my vote though this was a tough one as The Mummy is my favorite 30's Universal horror after the Frankenstein's

Being John Malkovich advances 7-2 including my vote. This is close to a toss-up for me and usually I would lean toward The Dude, but I'm holding a grudge because I got way too drunk at Lebowski fest and much like Jerry and the Black & White cookie, a not-puking streak was shattered.

I had the old Polygram slide-out case Fargo and replaced it with the MGM SE.

Ok, my Lebowski DVD does say Polygram, but I think it's a typo. :b

I don't have my list handy so no matchup today, mucho errands and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks