What's new

Directors Brook's 20th Century Fox Collection Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
As always, vote for the quality of the film not the DVD.

I have 18 Fox DVD's so we have to start with a

Wild Card Round

Alien 3
vs.
Alien 4 (I can't spell today)

X-Men
vs.
Big Trouble In Little China

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Alien 3

Big trouble in little china
(It's been a while since I did these tournaments, so remind me: Should I pick the one I like or the one I'd pick if I forced myself to become as objective as possible?)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Brook,

Better than Wages of Fear, but not nearly as much as Diabolique. I think it's kind of telling that I'm already having trouble remembering some of the details. I thought it was more interesting as a French film being made in 1943 under Nazi Occupation, and as a film about a supposedly quiet little town at the same time as Hitchcock was making Shadow of a Doubt, than I did as a film I would want to watch again.

I think part of the problem is that I didn't really find any of the characters likeable (except for the Raven, whom I suspected pretty early on given a way too obliging attitude towards an affair, and the focus of the letters on the person having that affair).

This reminded me of an Agatha Christie story (no idea if it was written before or after this film), which I enjoyed reading, so I suspect this would have worked better (for me), as a Miss Marple mystery. :)

BTW, do you know what Americain means in French? I also thought it translated in American (e.g. Rick's cafe), but it showed up in more than one letter, and that was certainly not part of the subtitles for those letters.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

It is a modifer that means American--just as you expected.

I´m not at all sure of the other uses--but in the Truffaut movie, La nuit americain it refers to the technique of filming night scenes in the day (hence the title in english, Dayfor Night.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well maybe someone who speaks French can help out, then. The subtitles certainly didn't have American anywhere in them, so I can only assume that American is French slang for something (or was in 1943), and that it was viewed as OK to use that slang by the Nazis. I'm really curious about it now.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Alien 3 advances 9-0 including my vote

Surprisingly, Big Trouble In Little China advances 5-4, I'll abstain to avoid the tie but would have voted for X-Men

Bjorn, vote for whichever strikes your fancy, best film, favorite film, film that will make George most likely to post an angry-faced reaction, etc.

Round 1

The Sound Of Music
vs.
Moulin Rouge

The Thin Red Line
vs.
Aliens

I pretty much feel the same way George, though I liked it better than Diabolique (but then I'm not a big fan of that film like you are). I thought Corbeau was quite good while I was watching but I don't remember a whole lot about it now. My favorite Clouzeau remains Quai d'Orfevres, a police detective/crime-type film that you might enjoy.

You've been watching some good stuff lately, love Point Blank, wish it was on DVD.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Sound of Music

abstain

Brook, Quai is on my to rent list. Actually, every Criterion is, just so I'll have seen them when they're going out of print to know whether I need to pick them up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks