What's new

Bronston epics and Land of the Pharaohs coming at last! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

There is no firm date as of now.

As I already own a few half-decent DVDs of both of El Cid and FOTRE I hope that means Weinstein is taking the time to do El Cid and the other Bronston productions justice.

No need for another low budget release with the only difference being that this time it is an RC1 version.

It would be great to hear anything new regarding these titles, it has been very quiet from Weinstein after the initial announcement.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I read that but it would be great to hear something from Weinstein, especially regarding the state of things with regard to masters and source material.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas, any idea which website you found that comment in? I'd be interested to see what they said.

Thanks

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Still seems strange to me that Weinstein would a whole new movie collection togehter with a flagship title and take the bigger part of a year to finally release that title and launch the collection.

I hope this points to a bigger effort on their part.
I also wrote to them some time ago regarding the Bronston epics but never heard back from them - obviously I am good enough to buy the DVD when it's out but not good enough to get any info about how it done and what quality the release will have...

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
From MoviesUnlimited:

One of the films most requested at Movies Unlimited, El Cid (1961), the epic produced by Samuel Bronston and directed by Anthony Mann, finally lands on DVD in two different versions with a spectacular new transfer. Charlton Heston plays the title role of Rodrigo Diaz, a disgraced Castilian knight who leads the Spanish people against the invading Moors from North Africa in 1060. Sophia Loren, Raf Vallone, and Herbert Lom also star in this spectacle that boasts gorgeous scenery (to go with gorgeous Sophia), thrilling battle scenes, and a sweeping historical story. There are a pair of two-disc sets on the way: El Cid (Deluxe Edition), with interviews, commentary, trailers, and more, and El Cid (Limited Collector’s Edition), with all the bells and whistles, plus a special book.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic news. I wonder if they'll be able to get a commentary from Charlton Heston. Perhaps it depends on how badly his Alzheimer's has become.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Well, according to the supermarket tabloids, Heston's health has deteriorated a lot, so that is unlikely. His son Fraser has said he will spend the rest of his life at home, so I would be surprised if there will be any new contributions from Heston. However, he has been interviewed on his films in the past, so they should be able to include some good comments from him as a SE feature.

I DVR'd an interview with Heston and Robert Osbourne on TCM, and they spent a good bit of time on El Cid. Unfortunately, I never got around to transferring the reccording to DVD-R, so I lost it when my DiSH DVR Receiver died. One thing that was interesting is that Heston seemd to have softened in his views about the film. He used to say it was a good film, but that it would have been a great one had William Wyler directed it (he says that on the Crierion laserdisc). He did not say that sort of thing in the TCM interview, and seemed quite proud to have been associated with the film. I think it has become apparent after many years that Anthony Mann showed himself to be a master of widescreen composition on El Cid and FOTRE.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Was there a commentary track of any sort on the Criterion laserdisc? I seem to remember Charlton Heston saying that he was especially pleased with the death scene; however, it may have been on one of the extras. Would be nice if they have overcome the color imperfections that were present on the laserdisc.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yes and no. There was no commentary during the film itself. However, on side 4, during the supplements, they had commentaries from various people. So, on the first layer, you could watch the original release trailer, various video interviews (including Heston), the re-release trailer, etc with their proper digital sound. Then, you could re-watch them, and select different audio streams from the analog tracks which featured comments by various people associated with the film, an essay on Miklos Rozsa, etc, and a few extra comments from Heston and others.

I suppose it might be possible to use parts of Heston's various comments from interviews in scene-specific moments. Or they may elect to simply include some video interview bits with Heston.

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
A big problem with Heston is he is incredibly dull as his commentary on Ben Hur shows only too well, and like so many, has selective memory. For El Cid I'd like to hear from Sophia Loren, who by all accounts loathed Chuckie! :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

The feeling was probably mutual. In his journals, Heston describes how unprofessional she was during the filming of El Cid (coming in late and keeping cast and crew waiting, etc).

I didn't find "Chuckie" dull at all on Ben-Hur. He is a bit pompous, but usually provides some interesting info (unless it's a story you have heard him tell over and over in interviews, like "I made sure that chariot race was fixed", etc). Most people on commentaries are not particularly charismatic in their comments, IMO.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Unlike Heston, Loren also refused to be aged for the latter part of the film and inexplicably demanded top billing which of course she didn't get. I mean the film is called El Cid, not Chimene. Hopefully, she has grown more gracious during the ensuing years. Heston was a total professional and didn't have much time for divas. Heston was put off by Ava Gardner's antics during the filming of 55 Days Of Peking and there was talk of replacing her with Joan Collins or Dana Wynter. Still, Heston didn't hold grudges and he and Gardner worked again in Earthquake where Gardner was older and mellower.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Coming back to this thread to express my disappointment with how Land of the Pharaohs looks. I finally broke down despite my feelings that epics have a very hard time looking decent on DVD, yet Warner surprised me before with King of Kings.

With Land of the Pharaohs however Warner clearly has been doing its reputation a disservice with releasing this movie in bad to mediocre quality.
Some scenes during the building of the pyramids look to be about VHS quality and the transfer generally falls apart when there is a panoramic shot.

Not recommended for the discerning viewer, wonder when I will be able to watch this movie in acceptable quality :frowning:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Simon,

an excellent observation with regard to the AR. I also noticed that but as I plan to immediately resell Land of the Pharaos I did not bother to tinker around with it.

The picture quality is indeed horrible at times and there is no excuse for this except for the case that all film based material for this movie was lost which I find highly improbable.

So Warner has obviously decided to release this one the cheap and easy way, but it does not work with epic movies - too many fine details in the original elements mercilessly expose weak transfers.

BTW: I have included a splitscreen still from both The Sun also rises from Fox and Land of the Pharaohs from Warner. Both stills have been upconverted to 1920 x 1080 and they are also taken from scenes with a lot of small detail. There is simply no comparison - from 2 times the picture width away the Fox movie starts to look pretty nice and Land of the Pharaohs - oh well...

And yes I know that I could have made the screenshots a little better with different scaling algorythms etc. but this does not change the fact that there is a HUGE difference both with regard to detail and artefacts.

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks