What's new

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN ON HD DVD (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
From DVDTIMES:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the HD DVD release of Brokeback Mountain (Collector’s Edition) for 23rd January 2007 priced at $34.98 SRP. Winner of three Academy Awards®, including Best Director, Ang Lee’s gripping drama comes to HD DVD in collector’s edition form on the same day as the standard definition DVD release.

A HD DVD / DVD Combo release Brokeback Mountain is presented in 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen with English, French (DDP5.1) and Spanish (DDP2.0) audio and subtitle options on Side A, and in standard definition on Side B. The full array of special features expected on this release are still TBC, but we do know you can expect all-new bonus features, never-before-seen footage and collectible packaging (including postcards).

Posted by Dave Foster on 01-11-2006 20:55 (57 views)

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, why release this as a new 2 disc SD-DVD, only to make the HD-DVD a combo? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Do people hate the combos? Why? As long as I'm getting the picture and extras I want, I don't care what's on the other side.

Travis

Second Unit

Ummmmmmmm, how about the fact that you are paying more for something you're never going to watch.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Well, that's true.

Here's a funny thing that's pseudo-related: I'm a little bit bummed about the upcoming Ultimate Superman set. I want to buy the set, but I'll also be buying the HD-DVD versions of Superman, Superman II Donner Cut, and Superman Returns.

Any way you look at it, I'll be buying stuff I don't want and won't ever watch (like Superman IV).

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Personally, I don't like dual-sided discs. But this movie will really shine on HD DVD. It was beautifully acted, directed and photographed. And besides, how many films can you name where both the good guys get it in the end?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

In case, by "[a]ny way you look at it," you're analogizing your Supes box situation to combos, I'd argue that's a horse of a different color: titles versus SD / HD versions of that title.

On Supes for whatever reason(s), you're choosing to purchase the box in addition to the separately available HDs of "I", Donner II and "Returns." But any one just interested in HD "Returns" is SOL: they don't have the choice to skip the SD version and pay Warner Bros.' lower list price for a dedicated HD version.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We bought several DVDs having a P&S on one side and the widescreen version on the other. I never watched the other side on all of them (except the first one: a few scenes just to see that it was there indeed).

The key question is: are we paying for it indeed?
Example: the HD DVD version of Superman Returns (which is said to be a combo) is about $4 more expensive than the BD version, but it features a TrueHD track, while the BD-version doesn't. So our first suspicions that the combo-version costs $4 more doesn't need to be true.

Cees

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Cees: I understand your (academic) point but the (practical) bottom line is that--regardless of one-off exceptions--the list price of U's and WB's combos is higher than standalones. Whether that additional cost is really attributable to higher mastering costs is of course very debatable. Personally, I think the studios are using the combo as a gimmick/specious rationale for a higher list price that's not empirically justifiable.

P.S. - Unlike the R2 according to your post, Stateside Batman Begins is not a combo and I think has the same list as other non-combo Warner titles.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"Batman Begins" can be found at several online retailers for $19.95 and $19.99 at Target B&M stores. The U.S. release is not a combo disc and since HD-DVD is not region coded you can buy it from any retailer that will ship to you and play it just fine. Besides Cees, this film is not yet available on Blu-ray anywhere AFAIK.

The point is that every single combo disc released so far carries a MSRP of $39.99 and retails for $24-$37 depending on where you make your purchase. We ARE paying a premium for them. There's no question about it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No.
I meant to type Superman Returns, but somehow my fingers mixed up the heros. :frowning:
Thanks, I edited my post to correct it.

Cees

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's still a problematic notion (made difficult to disprove because I don't think there are any BDs with TrueHD at this time? . . . and even if there were, they wouldn't be combos), and now we're comparing chalk and cheese as it were: I think BD and HD DVD have different list prices to begin with, yes?

There are combos with no TrueHD that still carry that higher list (i.e. Rumor Has It, Animal House).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks