What's new

Brokeback Mountain 4/4 (see post #94) (1 Viewer)

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly I think this is a wise move. Although I want the DVD as soon as possible, early announcements of Walk The Line and Capote have kept me from the theaters when I would have otherwise gone to see them.

If Brokeback does good on Oscar night, they want to milk all possible box office out of that. A couple of great weeks post Oscar could potentially push them closer to the $100 million mark, and I think that's a goal they have hopes for.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they just officially announce Walk The Line in the last few days (which explains why alot of online retailers weren't taking orders for it until this week but word has been February 28 forever)? The unofficial word has been saying that Brokeback Mountain was coming on March 7 for a couple of months. Maybe it'll have an official announcement at the last second.

I will say that that given the late date that that seems pretty unlikely though. :)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I remember seeing the anncouncement for WALK THE LINE about a month ago. BBM's March 7th date was probably set back before it became a phenomenon.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Specs for the DVD streeting April 4th. I'm hoping a Special Edition is on its way later this year. For now this will do for the BEST PICTURE of 2005; regardless of what the Academy says.

. Availability: PRE-ORDER: Available 04/04/2006
Close Caption: Yes

Region Code: 1

UPC: 025192631528

Catalog #: DV2205002

Studio: Focus Features

Languages: English Dolby Digital 5.1 - Primary
French Dolby Digital 5.1
English SDH subtitles
French subtitles
Spanish subtitles

Aspect Ratio: 1.85
Widescreen
Extras: Anamorphic

Features: Documentaries ("On Being a Cowboy: Directing from the Heart: Ang Lee" "From Script to Screen: Interviews with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana" "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain")

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
No word about those 40 minutes of deleted scenes? Will there one day be a Director's Edition with added material? Or does Lee want it left in this theatrical version?

If anyone has information, please post!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
When I walk into a store to buy a DVD the quantity of "special edition" double - and even triple disk DVDs for films without any quality at all is almost laughable. There has to be a special edition of this movie, whether or not it won the now "more irrelevant in my eyes than ever" Oscar for Best Picture.

I am certain it would make money, because besides this film having a very devoted audience, many people who did not see it in the theater will blind buy this out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
A special edition of Brokeback is appropriate. Despite the unpleasantness fans experienced last weekend, this film is the best picture of 2005 and has a sizable following that would buy both releases. I most certainly would.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
This would be a great time for Criterion's relationship with Universal to blossom again. With Ang Lee participation on the recent Criterion release of The Virgin Spring (which happens to list Brokeback Mountain in Lee's credit), it would be interesting to see what Criterion would do with this title. I'm sure a copy of the short story would be included either in book form or as an audio MP3. But I know this is a long-shot, but this has been Criterions year for independent American films.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Ya know, I never thought of Criterion picking this one up. But isn't BM a Fox Searchlight pic? I could be very confused...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Brokeback is a Focus Features release, which is owned by Universal. I doubt that Criterion will release it, since they haven't released a Universal film in a while (I believe they currently have a deal with Fox and New Line).

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

Criterion is releasing a special edition of Dazed and Confused, which although is a Regency picture, is currently owned by Universal.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Those deleted scenes explain so much, they underscore Ennis's hidden, unspoken desire for Jack; they may lay the groundwork for the truth of Jack's demise in that there are would-be bashers outside Aguirre's trailer in 1964 and after the first rodeo scenes; they show the animosity on the part of Lureen's father who may have had a hand in Jack's fate; etc etc etc. For some reason things were apparently made a bit more ambiguous. For better promotion to a wider audience?

From the gloeden at Wranglers forum:

It was an answer given in response to the question, "What happened to scenes that were in the commercial but not in the movie"(e.g. Jake shirtless standing over a stream).

If you can believe it, more than 40 minutes of film did not make into the final version. The shots you are referring to are just among a few that Ang Lee felt "drew conclusions" he wanted the audience to interpret.

The shirtless shot from the bridge is neither Heath or Jake but a body double. It was shot the same day as the skinny-dipping scene. This was the two week period Gyllenhaal was missing from location and Lee shot around him.
It was meant to be from Ennis's vantage point looking at Jack. You'll notice that we never catch Ennis eyeing Jack in desire.

Some other notes:
The bar scene in which Jack meets Lureen was cut extensively.

There is also a scene where Jack encounters the "Rodeo Clown" and his buddies outside of the bar and they block his path only to let him through in laughter.

Mechanics outside of the work trailer in Signal, WY, gawk at Jack as he leaves looking for work and Ennis the second Summer in 1964.

In a strange editing maneuver, The scene in which Ennis drops off the children to Alma at the store with the explanation that he's needed immediately at work is linked to the scene where Jake and Heath are seen driving in Ennis's truck. This would be a another impromptu get together after their initial reunion. The added scenes were dropped entirely from the film but the first scene, mentioned above, would remain.

Another scene not included was an exchange between Jack and Lureen's father prior to the Thanksgiving Day blow-up. Also another of Lureen convincing her father to hire Jack.

As far as sex scenes, besides a few different angles, there was nothing else shot."

---what is interesting, except for some gay sales sites and sendmemovies.com Amazon, Universal Home Video and other major outlets do NOT show BBM as being yet announced, much less an April 4 release date.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Wow! If 40 minutes of the film was cut, a fully integrated non-theatrical special edition is the best way to go. BTW, I would welcome a DVD that offers both the original presentation and a version with the cut scenes put back.

Thanks for the info. John.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Bradley,

Is that old info as I know it was rumored for April 4th some time ago but nowhere has it up for preorder except video universe & they may be going by the old info?

I can't see them sticking to that date with being so close & nowhere having it on sale yet.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I was at Wal Mart today and they have a long sing in mostly black and white that gives release dates for upcoming "big" releases and they also have the April 4th day in their advertising.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
April 4th may not be the date after all. The wolfevideo site which I found the specs and date now indicate they will notify you when a date is announced. April 4th would have put it head to head with CRASH Director's Cut and NARNIA. I'm guessing they will announce the date sometime this week.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
The non-bootleg version of "Brokeback" is now available in NYC. I picked up a copy earlier tonight at a store that tends to ignore street dates ("Narnia," due on April 4, was also available).

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I wonder why if it is coming out so soon they have not made an official announcement? Fox was also quiet about Walk The Line up until the week it was released. Is this a new practice to keep film grosses steady up until the DVD release?

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
u forgot about geisha. thats also available at a certain nyc store. i picked up all 3 tonite

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks