What's new

broadband test discrepancies (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I've got a couple of computers.
My old one always registers a 1800 kb/s speed while
my new computer clocks in at 10x that. Could the reason
for this be the old network card (circa 2003)?
Upload is the same for both.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Older = Slower. That's all I really gotta say 'bout that. It could be that the network card isn't made for anything higher than 1800kb/s, or the harddrive isn't rated for anything higher than 1800kb/s.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What kind of internet access do you have? You say your newer computer gets 10x that number which would be 18000kb = 18mb/s (approx). Unless you're running Verizon FIOS or unless you live in a country other than the US that seems a little high.

As far as bobby's suggestions -- you computer would have to be very old to have a NIC that is rated at less than 10Mb/s which would allow higher than you're getting and the HD should spin much faster than that -- no matter how old it is really.

You might try swapping cables or ports on your router to see if that helps. Or perhaps your NIC is loose inside your computer (don't know if that could cause a slowdown or not)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Bought a Dlink wired pci network card and no real change. Switched cables on the router and still no change. Switched ports on the router and no change. My laptop which is 2 years old shows no lag and is just as fast as my new computer.

The broadband is via cable, not fiber optic, I think, but it is the fastest
service they have in Canada.

mylan

Screenwriter
I think the bottleneck is in the older computer. I moved into an apartment and signed up for DSL but could never get the speeds advertised so a tech came out and hooked his (newer) laptop and got 2Meg vs. my 500K. The way it was explained to me was my computer had a slower processor and less RAM available to load pages. I am back on cable at my new house and do get faster speeds but nowhere near what I should get. A new computer is emminent as soon as Vista works the bugs out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks