What's new

Bright with Bright help (1 Viewer)

robMclark

Auditioning
Hello everyone. I was hoping to get some advice. I read some forums that stated that Yamaha receivers are generally bright and so are quintet speakers. Well that is exactly what I have (and can't change, I have shipped my equipment to Africa where I will be living in September). Here is my system:

yamaha HTR5790
QuintetII speaker set with A sub-12 (not KSW-12) klipsch subwoofer.

I have great monster cables for all the connects but what can I do when both the speakers and the receiver are considered "bright"? I want great sound (especially with DVD-Audio).

I appreciate the advice!

Rob

P.S. I have the OPDV971H 1080i HDTV-Ready Divx DVD Player with DVI Output DVD player and I have the
M Series® M550i SACD/DVD-Audio Cables for DVD-audio.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I've found that amplifiers have alot less effect on overall tonality then the speakers. If you find they are too bright you can play around with their positioning. As well, you might want to experiment with placing items in your room that can warm up the sound, such as rugs or curtains.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I should clarify what I mean with positioning too. Since the Klispch speakers use horn-tweeters their high frequency response is somewhat distributed in a small range. So instead of aiming the speakers directly at the listener, try aiming them more in a straight forward fashion.

Good luck!

rob-h

Second Unit
Does the 5790 not have a equalizer for each speaker like the 5890? If it does you can set it to flat (best), lows, or midrange so that the highs are not so apparent.

robMclark

Auditioning
Thanks for the clarification on the speaker placement. I can't wait to get to Africa and hook this system up!

yes I have an equalizer for each speaker and will give that a try as well. Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
An addition to what Justin advised, the size of the room will also have an affect on how bright they sound. Specifically, they will have less perceived bass response (which translates to a brighter sound) in large rooms.

As Rob mentioned, the on-board EQ can help. Don’t be afraid to reduce the highs below the flat point, if you feel that’s what they need to sound properly balanced.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks