1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Bridget Loves Bernie" coming in 2010

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by docdoowop, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

The Good Life was a half season sitcom starring Larry Hagman and Donna Mills. Here's a link to the opening credits with the great Tony Orlando theme song:

2. PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck Well-Known Member

Patrick
    Wow, I never knew about this show! Thanks for the link - love the theme!
    If the show is as good as the theme, then it should be a dandy! :)
    I guess this must be the original of "The Good life". Interesting to read that the U.K. show was syndicated in the U.S. as "Good Neighbors" to avoid confusion.

3. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Well-Known Member

The thing is, the original play the show was based on (Abie's Irish Rose) came out way, way back in the 1920's-1930's when such a pairing would have been even more scandalous than it would have (and should have been) in the early 1970's-what was the big deal that made people hate the show?

4. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Well-Known Member

He and She is owned by HBO/Warner Bros (video and overall ownership rights) with TV distribution handled by CBS Television Distribution; Love On A Rooftop is owned by Sony, as are other short lived Screen Gems shows like The Second Hundred Years, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, and a few others.

5. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

As I'm going through the episodes, it really just pisses me off more and more at how CBS could be so spineless and cancel such a wonderful show. Bridget Loves Bernie was well cast, well written and should have had a good 5-6 year run and lived on in syndication to this day as one of the finest sitcoms of the decade. The fact that it was cancelled for no good reason other than the complaints of a few overly sensitive groups is really such a shame. Other great one-year shows, like He and She, the ratings weren't there but BLB finished the year at number five!! What I don't understand is why NBC or ABC didn't pick it up. It would have been a perfect show for ABC since they ran the majority of Screen Gems series to begin with.

6. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Well-Known Member

Robert
    Yeah, but remember, ABC let All in the Family go because it was too controversial... and BLB seemingly was more controversial than AITF at the time, since CBS canceled it while AITF continued on successfully. Plus, ABC's idea of controversial at the time was, what, Love, American Style? It wouldn't have fit with the rest of the extremely family friendly ABC Sitcom fare.