1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Bridge on River Kwai" Layer Change Problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Job, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Jeff Job

Jeff Job Agent

I just purchased a copy of the 2 disc set of "Bridge on the River Kwai". Great disk, but I found that at the layer change, my screen goes black for 3-4 seconds, and then continues. This seems a little extreme.

Also, after the layer change, my chapter index goes back to 1, even though the chapter index card lists all the chapters sequentially. I also can not chapter search backward across the layer change. I have to go back to the scene selection screen, or start the movie over.

Has anyone else found this, or is this a disk/player problem? I have not yet tried another machine.

2. Pete B.

Pete B. Stunt Coordinator

Works fine on my Pioneer 525 & Toshiba 3750.

Pete

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

That happened to me the one time I played that. I haven't tried it on my DVD-ROM player for comparative purposes but it is the most disruptive layer change I've ever seen on a DVD that wasn't clearly defective at that point like "Man With The Golden Gun" was at the layer switch on many players. If anyone has some definitive word about this, I'd appreciate it too.

Jarring layer shifts are still the one thing about DVD technology that can infuriate me at times, especially when I hear layer changes happening on the next to last note of climactic music. Its probably my having a cheap player that's the problem but that can't be helped for now alas.

4. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

Jeff,

Its the way the disc is mastered. The layer change is in fact a title change as far as I can remember. Thats why the timer resets etc.

It caused a longer than normal pause on my player, but there was no black screen.

Quite annoying I agree.

5. BrettB

BrettB Producer

I've only rented it so I don't know about the chapter search issues but the layer change was the worst I've ever seen.

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

7. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Paul is correct... it's the way it was mastered and it is a change in title as well as layer. I don't know why they did it this way, but is is not a player problem. I had a longer than normal pause with no black screen, but then some players won't freeze the frame during refocusing while others do.

I believe the longer pause is because instead of refocusing on the current location and moving backward, the lens resets to the start position during the change.

-Scott

8. Dave F

Dave F Screenwriter

If I remember correctly, this is only an issue on the limited edition release. The extra data on the disc required the odd decision in mastering. The standard edition, which doesn't have the additional data, has a smoother layer change.

-Dave

9. LukeB

LukeB Screenwriter

10. Dave F

Dave F Screenwriter

I think the difference is the DVD-rom content on disc 1 of the limited edition.

-Dave

11. Jeff Job

Jeff Job Agent

Thanks for the info. I do hear the laser moving alot during the transition, so it must be a mastering problem.

In any case, I'd settle for this rather than having to flip the disc for the second half of the film like I have to do with "Amadeus".

12. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

13. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

the Region 2 disc is the same, by the way.

Chris

14. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I have the LE too and the counter reset to 0:00 at the layer change, but I'm not sure about the chapter index.

15. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

16. Dave F

Dave F Screenwriter

Well I hate to say it Scott, but I'm kinda happy that the standard edition is hosed too. I'd hate to feel like I got the short end of the stick by buying the limited edition. [​IMG]
    -Dave