What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Mark-P said:
I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.
When I read the blu-ray specs, I checked my DVD from the Natalie Wood set. It is listed as 2 track and I do remember it being in stereo. According to IMDB, it was 4 track for 35mm and 6 track for 70mm blowups. In any event, too bad we can't at least get the discreet 4 track. Maybe it is a misprint, but I doubt for this price point, they would remix to 5.1, although I would prefer that.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Mark-P said:
I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.
Yes for 5.1 on Gypsy!!! That was filmed in Technirama.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
On the streaming site Vudu I watched the Warner pre-codes LADY KILLER with James Cagney and NIGHT NURSE with Barbara Stanwyck in 1080p. They were gorgeous and it was like seeing the films for the first time.
I hope Warner Archive will also put out lots of older titles like these on Blu-ray.
Please please please!!!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by John Morgan /t/325209/breaking-news-warner-archive-collection-announces-first-blu-ray-releases/60#post_4002007
When I read the blu-ray specs, I checked my DVD from the Natalie Wood set. It is listed as 2 track and I do remember it being in stereo. According to IMDB, it was 4 track for 35mm and 6 track for 70mm blowups. In any event, too bad we can't at least get the discreet 4 track. Maybe it is a misprint, but I doubt for this price point, they would remix to 5.1, although I would prefer that.
The Natalie Wood boxset "Gypsy" was mono, the original DVD was 2.0 Stereo

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
GMpasqua said:
The Natalie Wood boxset "Gypsy" was mono, the original DVD was 2.0 Stereo
This issue was raised on the Warner Archive FB page. According to them, the original multi-track stereo for GYPSY no longer exists, and the 5.1 on the first DVD release was drawn from the album and mono soundtrack sources. Hence why the Natalie Wood Collection release was in 2.0.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Does anyone know for a fact that Gypsy had either 4-track mag 35mm or 6-track mag 70mm prints originally?
At the time of release, my friends and I could not find any evidence that it had. We all recalled the marvelous work just a few months earlier on The Music Man (also photographed in Technirama), but nothing about Gypsy surfaced.
The stereo sound on the DVD is actually not bad, so I would like to have it again on the Blu-ray (which I have already ordered).

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
The first DVD of GYPSY was 5.1 and I was disappointed that the remaster, while better video, was 2.0 stereo, as running it through pro-logic does not sound as good to me as the 5.1 on the first DVD.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
classicmovieguy said:
This issue was raised on the Warner Archive FB page. According to them, the original multi-track stereo for GYPSY no longer exists, and the 5.1 on the first DVD release was drawn from the album and mono soundtrack sources. Hence why the Natalie Wood Collection release was in 2.0.
So you are saying that the first 5.1 DVD (which I have) is not true to the original soundtrack which is why it was subsequently dumped for the 2.0 soundtrack which is true to the original mix? If that's the case I guess I can live with the BD being the "correct" mix. :)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I believe the 2.0 track on the remastered DVD is the same as the 5.1 mixed in 2.0 stereo, as it was on the second, remastered laserdisc from the late 1990s. The reason I believe that is that the songs still have that slight echo-ey quality that suggests it came from the soundtrack album master, and the underscore has a rechanneled for stereo sound (although not in a bad way, at least to me). For example, listen carefully after the song "Some People". The song itself is in wide stereo, then when the underscore kicks in as Rose exits, you can tell the music has a different quality. The last time the "original mix" appeared was the first laserdisc. The remastered laserdisc was in stereo and had that soundtrack album quality. Frankly, I love hearing it in stereo, even if they had to cobble it together from the soundtrack album and "expand" the underscore. The orchestrations deserve stereo. But I do prefer the 5.1 over the 2.0 stereo. This is one of my favorite movies so I have a lot of opinions about it!

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Eastmancolor said:
On the streaming site Vudu I watched the Warner pre-codes LADY KILLER with James Cagney and NIGHT NURSE with Barbara Stanwyck in 1080p. They were gorgeous and it was like seeing the films for the first time.
I hope Warner Archive will also put out lots of older titles like these on Blu-ray.
Please please please!!!
Agreed! I've not bought many titles from WA up till now since I record most of them from TCM, but blu-ray versions will change that completely. There are loads of films, silents up through the '40s, that I'd happily buy in blu.

alistairKerr said:
Good news for film-lovers living in the USA, as you say - not "providing a valuable service to film lovers everywhere" as the press release says. We still can't get WA titles here in the UK direct from Warner Archive!
Thats ok you guys in the UK get great box sets and collectors editions and steelbooks etc that unless you have a code free blu ray player we in the USA cant watch...
Im hoping for
Wait Until Dark, Valley of Gwangi, Arsenic and Old Lace
and maybe they will go back to their older MOD releases like Betrayed with Clarke Gable or Doc Savage and give them HD treatment :)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Love to see A RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT, RAZORBACK and THE GREEN SLIME make it to blu.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Larry-Bender /t/325209/breaking-news-warner-archive-collection-announces-first-blu-ray-releases/30#post_4001920
OK Warner- Bring on ...WIND AND THE LION...

That one's been on my wish list for a looooooong time. This would be a great opportunity.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I can pretty much pick out every title I want by the last remaining (and increasingly beat-up over the years) snapper cases I have: LONE STAR, THE TIME MACHINE, LOCAL HERO, THE MOSQUITO COAST, Cronenberg's CRASH, etc.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Jeffrey:K said:
Sharky's Machine, please.
And to complete the Burt Reynolds trifecta, Hooper and Stroker Ace which have never been in OAR on DVD either.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what titles are getting conventional releases and what is going to be handled via the WAC, but since this is morphing into a wish list thread.
Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan
The Illustrated Man
The Killing Fields
Klute
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Night Moves
Point Blank (1967)
Straight Time
and I'll mention the previously posted titles...
Local Hero
Lone Star
The Naked Spur
The Time Machine
The Wind and the Lion
Really looking forward to a proper release of Fearless.
- Walter.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would hope we'll see normal releases for the majority of catalogue titles, and save the WAC releases for the most obscure. While $20 is better than TT's pricing, it's still too much for catalogue releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks