What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

Hopefully, long films will be on dual-layer 50GB discs, unlike when the DVD Archive started with everything on single-layer discs.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Of course I am delighted. It's very surprising that the BDs will be the same price as the DVD-Rs. I'll pay $20 for a BD, but not the $40 Screen Archives charges for its limited-edition titles!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It would be great if some older titles from the 30s-60s also got the Blu-ray treatment as well in the Archive. For some, the HD enhancement will make the films look even better than when they were first released in theaters!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Charles Ellis said:
It would be great if some older titles from the 30s-60s also got the Blu-ray treatment as well in the Archive. For some, the HD enhancement will make the films look even better than when they were first released in theaters!
I agree with you! If you have a chance, please list a few of your most wanted titles from this era....

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/325209/breaking-news-warner-archive-collection-announces-first-blu-ray-releases/30#post_4001829
I just noticed on the Warner Archive site that the audio for Gypsy is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0. I hope that's a misprint! The DVD is 5.1.

Wouldn't the original mix be 2.0 though?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/325209/breaking-news-warner-archive-collection-announces-first-blu-ray-releases/30#post_4001857
So these are not MOD but pressed discs?

Yes. "Replicated" means pressed in home video terms (BD-R/DVD-R would use the term "duplicated").

EDIT: Just to re-inforce the point -

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yes! This is awesome and wonderful news. I've not bought any WB archives titles, though I've been tempted, because I expected they would eventually go HD, I'll definitely be buying bluray releases, starting with Hudsucker proxy.

Now if they could just do a restoration/new harvest of Northwest Passage and give us that on bluray as well.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
So, how many pre-orders need to be collected before they run off a pressing? Are they pressing exactly how many they need so if you miss it by a day you might have to wait months and months before enough other people order it to warrant a new pressing?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Worth said:
Not such great news for those of us outside the U.S. I hope they'll at least make these available on Amazon.
This sounds like an opportunity for someone IN the U.S. to set up a buying service for our friends over seas! Hmmmmm wheels turning.......
Doug

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Chuck Anstey said:
So, how many pre-orders need to be collected before they run off a pressing? Are they pressing exactly how many they need so if you miss it by a day you might have to wait months and months before enough other people order it to warrant a new pressing?
The first ones don't ship for about a month so I guess they'll make them in a few weeks and they'll
Know how many to make. Also they will probably just make a thousand or so initially for the first shipments that go out.

L

Larry-Bender

OK Warner- Bring on THE GREAT RACE----LOCAL HERO--- MICHAEL COLLINS--HEAVEN AND EARTH.--WIND AND THE LION.---RYANS DAUGHTER.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
EDIT: Also, now that I think about it for a bit, this is basically Warner doing their own Twilight Time style releases with their smaller catalog titles without actually handing the titles over to another label. And they don't have to cap the releases at 3000 if they happen to sell that many.
I agree. Not to mention that the price point makes the WB program the better of the two in regards to the consumer with free shipping (currently) and $10 less. Buying these two is only $5 more than one TT release. Lastly, I imagine future WBShop coupons or sales will work on these titles.
The big question is if the original pressing "sells out" will a new limited batch be manufactured to meet demand? And are these closer to retail releases w/ digital restoration/clean-up (Like most TT releases)? Since many of the existing WA titles are just newly remastered w/o digital clean-up or costly restoration work.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
alistairKerr said:
Good news for film-lovers living in the USA, as you say - not "providing a valuable service to film lovers everywhere" as the press release says. We still can't get WA titles here in the UK direct from Warner Archive!
+1 I would love to own these aswell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks