What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
benbess said:
The HD master of Gypsy is up at amazon prime streaming (which is, of course, lower rez than a blu-ray) and it looks good to my eyes. This is an interesting, lavish, and unusual musical from another era. Great cast.
I am delighted, of course, that GYPSY is coming to blu-ray in whatever form. I am hoping that the two outtake musical numbers are included in hi-def. Even if they are, probably too much to hope for that there is a branching option to watch it with those songs included (I have written to Warners for years requesting that). If they are missing or only in standard def Warner's will get another less polite letter from me. (I know, I know - flies/honey/vinegar. Just kidding. But they will get a letter.)
I recently watched GYPSY on amazon prime through my PS3. It looked good, but the colors were so bright I had to turn down the color on my projector. (And, yes, it is professionally calibrated.) Nonetheless, I will buy immediately. I like the other titles, too. Here's hoping VICTOR/VICTORIA and HIGH SOCIETY are in the pipeline.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Very, very excited about THE HUDSUCKER PROXY. A lot of people seem to really hate that movie, but I like it quite a bit.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Great news. But if you pre-order "Deathtrap" on the Warner Archive site it says it will ship on 4/18/2020!!!:P

Vincent-P

Second Unit
If you click the Details tab on the product page for the Blu-Rays, each lists DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 in the specs.
Also, WB, please bring on Brewster McCloud!!!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Terrific news.
I hope some of the other WBA titles get 'revisited' on Blu-Ray - A Damsel In Distress, Murder My Sweet, Westward The Women, etc.
David

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
They are doing exactly what I predicted would be done back in 2005 when I started my label. I was offered and refused conventional distribution because after having been in the music business for fifteen years I knew what killed us all - the damn returns. I said then, "I don't care if I sell 100 copies of something instead of 1000 because those 100 are never coming back - they're SALES and they stay sales." I was laughed at, I was made fun of by others in the business, people predicted doom, and I just smiled and went about my business. Then, as I also predicted that same year, all the chains began folding and the other labels who'd done all that doom-predicting and laughing began to do what we were doing. Funny how that happens.
Instead of pressing 10,000 of a title, dumping them at Target and Walmart, etc. (IF they'd even take the catalog stuff) and then getting 9,900 back and having to dump them in the 5$ bin, this way Warners sell exactly what the demand is. It's simple, and, more importantly, it's a SALE. Some titles will probably do 1000, some 2,000, some 100. But they won't be stuck with any stock and never have to give a credit for a return. I'm frankly surprised it took as long as it did for everyone to figure this out :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This looks like a win-win all around for US residents anyway. Pressed BluRays retailing for $19.95. I preordered as well. I hope "Deathtrap" comes before 2020!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm assuming that since Warner does not Region Code their regular Blu-rays that they won't Region Code the WAC Blus. So as long as any other online retailer ends up carrying them non-US residents should be able to import them without issue at that point, especially since the press release does specifically mention other online retailers.

Also, people's questions won't take long to be answered for the first two titles - about a week from now, I'd figure, is when people will first start to receive copies.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brandon Conway said:

EDIT: Also, now that I think about it for a bit, this is basically Warner doing their own Twilight Time style releases with their smaller catalog titles without actually handing the titles over to another label. And they don't have to cap the releases at 3000 if they happen to sell that many.

That's exactly what I thought. A few weeks ago in another thread someone posted that the Twilight Times business model came up for discussion at every single home entertainment meeting at every studio. This seems to be first result. I wouldn't be surprised if others follow suit.

The big, big, big caveat must be will every company embracing this business model maintain high standards? How long before sub-standard discs are dumped on the market?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Gary16 said:
Great news. But if you pre-order "Deathtrap" on the Warner Archive site it says it will ship on 4/18/2020!!!:P
Item#
Product:
Qty:
Price:
Deathtrap (BD)
Price: $19.95
Preorder today for shipment on 04/18/2020.
Hope it comes sooner.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
TonyD said:
Preorder today for shipment on 04/18/2020.
Hope it comes sooner.
Aww, be patient. You've waited this long, what's another seven and a half years? :P

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Great news indeed. Vistas of favourite films open up before me .... But as interesting as Gypsy is, I'd like to see The Gypsy Moths on BR. According to IMDb, Warners has the home video rights on this one, so all I can do now is wait. Hudsucker Proxy and Fearless? You bet. I always liked the way Jennifer Jason Leigh delivered her lines, like she was channelling (sp?) a 1940s screwball heroine, that rat-a-tat-tat machinegun style. (For Cohen fans, I noticed that Amazon had the box set on for about $20 yesterday, which is a steal of a deal.) Fearless I saw at the movies when it came out, along with about 20 other folks in a mostly empty house, and was blown away by Bridges' performance. The film never seems to go where you're expecting it to go. Amazing script, first rate work all round. Another I'd like to see on BR via sale on demand would be Mark Robson's Nine Hours to Rama, which was a big deal when released, but now has sunk without leaving even so much as a ripple. Right now, it looks like Fox still holds the rights, but if they do embrace the WB model, maybe we'll finally get to see it in its intended AR, and in a nice sharp copy.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Excellent news. Those four titles don't do anything for me (maybe DEATHTRAP), but the potential is there. I hope they have an upgrade program for any titles that were previously dvd-r-only. That'd be a nice incentive.
Wouldn't the very fair pricepoint also reflect the need for their MOD dvd-rs to come down further in price?
PS - Really hoping for an upgrade for FROM HELL IT CAME. :D

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
haineshisway said:
And, of course, I just ordered both titles
Me, too....and yet, the Deathrap pre-order note was "Preorder today for shipment on 04/18/2020" while Gypsy "Ships within 10 days".
I reckon all will be sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks