What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Warner Archive Collection Announces First Blu-Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by kingofthejungle
. The frustration aimed at Warner from Blu-Ray fans may seem disproportionate in comparison to other studios, but the simple fact is that Warner owns a disproportionate number of great films, RKO and vintage MGM in addition to their own estimable catalog. Everyone has their list of personal favorites they'd like to see in HD, and Warner most likely controls a larger number of the unchecked boxes on these lists than anyone else.
This is the case, Warner does own more titles than they can handle. The studio can only release so much each year, and having so many good titles means many will never see the light of day. Too bad they don't license out to other companies like Fox, Paramount and Sony do

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
This is the case, Warner does own more titles than they can handle. The studio can only release so much each year, and having so many good titles means many will never see the light of day. Too bad they don't license out to other companies like Fox, Paramount and Sony do
Suggest you take a look at the huge number of titles that are coming out via Warner Archive, inclusive of sets. They have set a standard that I cannot see any other studio reaching.
This includes bringing DVD titles that have fallen OOP back into available status.
RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sure this is the case, and I don't begrudge anyone their chance to own any of the three titles they have released. It's just a bit disappointing for some of us to see the promise of a Blu-Ray program from Warner Archives effectively stall out, in view of the halting exploration of HD releases of catalog titles from it's parent company. The frustration aimed at Warner from Blu-Ray fans may seem disproportionate in comparison to other studios, but the simple fact is that Warner owns a disproportionate number of great films, RKO and vintage MGM in addition to their own estimable catalog. Everyone has their list of personal favorites they'd like to see in HD, and Warner most likely controls a larger number of the unchecked boxes on these lists than anyone else. I certainly hope they continue to expand their efforts in classics on Blu-Ray.
If they do manage to (finally) get this archive Blu program off the ground maybe we can see some titles by Ford, Hawks, Walsh, Tourneur, Lang or DeToth. Or some more Errol Flynn movies.
I don't agree with that and example being a gangster boxset coming out with Bogart, Cagney and Robinson features in it.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Warners are to be congratulated for the Archive but I think my concern is that the day of packaged media may be coming to an end as younger consumers, in particular, adopt streaming and have no desire to build a physical collection. I, personally, do not wish to stream and I hope there will be sufficient demand for my favourite titles to be pressed before streaming overtakes. Finally if/when UltraHD etc is introduced I cannot believe product will be distributed on disc. Blu-ray is the end!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I think there is a misnotion that younger consumers want streaming. They want portability. They want to be able to watch movies on their IPOD's when they're on the go. Does streaming work to bring portability? Sure, but so does "digital copy", which some studios are trying to introduce. Some movies work fine for IPOD's. Others are better served as keepsakes in a physical form and watching on a home theater setup.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Suggest you take a look at the huge number of titles that are coming out via Warner Archive, inclusive of sets. They have set a standard that I cannot see any other studio reaching.
This includes bringing DVD titles that have fallen OOP back into available status.
RAH
I was referring to Blu-rays. WB does release more than other studios, but they may so much more A titles to release, many which may never be released on Blu
WB can't just slap a title on Blu-ray without some work (like some of the Archieve DVD titles which get little in the form of restoration), and there are too many titles which need that work to be released

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Robert Crawford said:
Warner has a pretty good idea what titles are in demand as they read this forum every day.
If that is the case, then, may I throw out a suggestion. Warner folks, have you noticed that the History Channel's THE BIBLE series was at the top of the television ratings last week, with THE VIKINGS not far behind? GAME OF THRONES is no shirker, either. You own some of the most interesting biblical/historical epics ever made. Why not put some of these out and "see if they stick", titles like THE SILVER CHALICE, LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, HELEN OF TROY, THE PRODIGAL, IVANHOE, SCARAMOUCHE or KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE? Several of these would make a nice box, like the gangster one that you have planned. Or, really test with waters with something interesting, like releasing some of the incredible silent masterpieces you've been sitting on, like THE CROWD, THE WIND, FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE. GREED, THE STUDENT PRINCE or even a BD of Niblo's incredible BEN-HUR.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
The only time I have seen people really watching a movie on an Ipod is on an airplane to pass the time. How could anyone possibly absorb a movie like "Lawrence of Arabia" on an Ipod - it needs a dark room and the biggest screen manageable. I really hope physical media continues; I have had good and bad experiences with streaming and for a movie I really care about I want it on my shelf. Warner's first archive releases on blu aren't that far in the past - hopefully they are just getting geared up. I am a go for most of the titles mentioned in this thread.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It would be great if Warner followed Twilight Time's model where 3,000 or so disc are pressed and sold without going to Best Buy etc. Press discs seems to last better than MOD

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
GMpasqua said:
It would be great if Warner followed Twilight Time's model where 3,000 or so disc are pressed and sold without going to Best Buy etc. Press discs seems to last better than MOD
Yeah, let's hope that whatever happens to be holding up the Blu-Ray line gets resolved. It's such a great idea, with so much potential.
Robert Crawford said:
I don't agree with that and example being a gangster boxset coming out with Bogart, Cagney and Robinson features in it.
So we're 6-7 years into the Blu-Ray format, and they finally give us the first landmark titles from some of their A-list screen legends (Cagney and Robinson). I think that supports the characterization 'halting' quite well, actually. Though it is admittedly a step in the right direction from the days when it seemed like no classic film without Bogart or Wayne was even considered for HD treatment (not that I'm not thankful for the Bogart and Wayne titles). Also, I think we all appreciate Warner's efforts to bring as many titles as possible to DVD - the Archive has been a great innovation that's really been a boon to classic film fans, and for many of the films they release, SD representations are great. I love getting little obscure treasures like those offered in the 'Monogram Cowboy Collections'. But, some films (and specific directors' work) are just not adequately represented in Standard Def. The large-canvas spaces and visual textures of a John Ford or Jacques Tourneur get lost in smaller, 480p encodes. One needs only to compare the old Fox DVD of 'How Green Was My Valley' with the new Blu-Ray to recognize the difference. The Blu-Ray is simply breathtaking, and illuminates the great care that went into sculpting each image in light and shadow in a way the DVD simply cannot. Warner's own Blu-Ray of Fort Apache was a revelation for me personally, opening up all of the minute detail of the performances in facial expression and gesture that washed out on the lower resolution DVD. I'd love to see She Wore A Yellow Ribbon get the same treatment. Or Out of The Past...or Stars In My Crown. Or Walsh's Gentleman Jim or Strawberry Blonde.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
To add to John's observations, it's also not as if they haven't already prepared HD masters for many of these. Certainly, the array of 1080 Warner download titles available from Amazon and the new Warner's streaming site is staggering. Is it really that demanding to put out a BD disc? I see titles like AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, AUNTIE MAME, LUST FOR LIFE and AMERICA AMERICA just to name a very few. And, what about the Goldwyn titles, why no BDs of THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, WUTHERING HEIGHTS and THE BISHOP'S WIFE, to say nothing of PORGY AND BESS?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It would be interesting to know how well the Goldwyn titles Hans Christian Anderson and Guys & Dolls have sold. Other Goldwyn titles I particularly want are The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Wonder Man, The Kid from Brooklyn, and The Princess and the Pirate.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I looked on the Warner Archive website today and they showed what looked like their tweet of a photo from Blow-Up. Perhaps they will bring it to blu ray. If so, I'm in.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Dick
Wasn't Warner going to release Blu-ray's two per month in the Archive series? So far, only one has been announced since GYPSY and DEATHRAP.
The press release clearly says one or two per month starting in February. We got one in February. I expect one or two in March.
Where's the issue, exactly?

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Brandon Conway said:
The press release clearly says one or two per month starting in February. We got one in February. I expect one or two in March. Where's the issue, exactly?
:rolleyes: It says MINIMUM one or two titles per month. That's the issue.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
And we got one title in February. How is one title in February NOT the minimum of one title starting in February? If they released ZERO titles in February, well, that would be less than the minimum of one title. But they didn't. They released the minimum on the schedule the press release indicated. Are you saying that two was the actual minimum? Because it wasn't. Two is larger than one, and one was the minimum. Starting in February. Again, where is the problem here?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, let's hope that whatever happens to be holding up the Blu-Ray line gets resolved. It's such a great idea, with so much potential.
So we're 6-7 years into the Blu-Ray format, and they finally give us the first landmark titles from some of their A-list screen legends (Cagney and Robinson). I think that supports the characterization 'halting' quite well, actually. Though it is admittedly a step in the right direction from the days when it seemed like no classic film without Bogart or Wayne was even considered for HD treatment (not that I'm not thankful for the Bogart and Wayne titles).
You want the studios to produce more HD product then tell the public to buy such product. Warner as well as the other studios aren't turning their backs on not making profits, when there are profits to be made. I don't think HT market can support the output you want and the studios are not going to cut their own profit margin by producing HD product they can't sell enough units of, to not only pay for their work, but to increase their revenue streams enough to encourage them to keep the titles coming. Is this so hard to understand? The studios aren't keeping titles out of the market just because they can do so, but they're keeping their output restricted because the market won't support such an increased output.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
More good suggestions, I'd buy The Bishop's Wife and Lust For Life on BD without hesitation.
Yeah, I got plenty of suggestions too, but they're not going to come at the output I want them, unless the consumer market goes hog wild like they did in the late 90s to early 00s.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of you want to blame the studios for the lack of titles you want out on BD. It's not that simple folks. It's all about economics and profit margins. The studios are in business to make money, not just to satisfy a few classic film buffs appetite for classics on BD. I wish there were more of us, classic film buffs, who see the benefit of 1080p, but the hard truth is our numbers are limited on appreciating those benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks