What's new

Breaking News: Universal Announces Blu-ray plans! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Paul A (and everyone else who chimed in) that was a great overview and covered every aspect I was curious about. Sounds like I'll just be renting this season.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
If there is one Universal Blu-ray release I am already looking forward to, it is Leatherheads. I saw the movie at the theaters this past Sunday and liked it despite the mixed reviews the critics heaped upon it.

Sadly, with the passing of HD DVD goes the passing of combo discs I liked with them. Many of my Universal HD DVD titles are combo discs.

However, with Universal moving into the Blu-ray field, I look forward to this Roarin' 20s football romp!!!!!! It will be fun in Blu--just like the Duluth Bulldogs' uniforms!!!!! :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
To be honest, the only new film I have any intention of seeing is Mamma Mia, and whether I like it enough to buy the BD, let alone at all, remains to be seen.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I don't know if there'll be another Bourne film produced or not, but if so, perhaps Universal is holding back the BD releases of the trilogy until then.

I still think it'll take some time for them to release all of the catalog HD-DVD titles on BD. The titles they announced in the press release either have a movie tie-in (The Mummy series) or they were released theatrically within the last two years (Knocked Up, Land of the Dead etc.). Of course, when they were released on HD-DVD they were new day/date titles. Catalog to me would be Streets of Fire, The Thing, The Pianist, Big Liebowski, Dune, Spartacus, The Deer Hunter, The Sting, etc. Seeing how poorly catalog titles had sold on both formats, they might wait a year or so before they start releasing some of these previously released older titles. Regardless, I'll enjoy the ones I already have on HD-DVD and will only double-dip IF the BD release improves on it in some substantial way.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well at least Universal has released the information on what we can exspect to see released on Blu-ray. Now if Paramount will get off there rear end and release title information. ;)

Universal has alot of work ahead of them just to re-release there HD-DVD catalog to Blu-ray. Plus they will have to deal with new releases and catalog titles that need to be preped for HD release. I hope we see some of there big titles in the next two years like American Graffiti, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park, American Gangster, Bourne Trilogy, The Birds, Battlestar Galactica (New Series), ET, Scarface and others. My main gripe was that Universal was not letting us know what we could exspect to see on Blu-ray. At least now we have an idea what is coming to Blu-ray and I am glad they are going to have some titles out soon.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Not up for pre-order yet but DVDAF is listing the MSRP for the Mummy films at $34.98 which is a bit on the high side for catalogs considering they'll probably be priced around $25.

That'll make me a little more selective on what I want to upgrade to BD.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I was wondering what Uni's Blu-ray price-tier would look like. I'm thinking it'll probably be $39.95 for new day/date releases (same as the HD-DVD combos were) and $34.95 for catalog titles. Definitely on the pricey end, but Uni has no experience with blu-ray, so I'm sure this'll all be trial and error for them starting out. Since they did announce Heroes S1 & 2 for August, I do expect them to annouce BSG season sets soon. Hopefully we'll see some of them by the 4th quarter.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Peter Jackson’s KING KONG would make for another cool Blu-ray release.
Hopefully, it will be another early title from Universal.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ang Lee's "The Hulk" would be a sensible release what with The Incredible Hulk coming out this summer.

As for people knocking Heroes S2, it's really hard to say too much bad about it considering the abreviated season was caused by the writers strike. Hopefully it will be priced accordingly.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. "Extended cut" would be also great. Since "Kong" was one of the first HD DVD-releases, it´s possible that they´re willing to upgrade now (when it´s coming to Blu at some point).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know... I'm not planning to upgrade because I've got a perfectly good HD DVD, but I sort of get the feeling that Universal and Marvel are trying to sell The Incredible Hulk as though Ang Lee's film doesn't exist, and they might actually want to hold it back to avoid confusion.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well being the cautious one I waited the format war out, until there was a clear winner, more cost effective in that aspect, and after reading that list, I can see some of Universals, tailoring the release list that way. As for Catalog items, does ten years or last year count as a catalog item? I can also see them doing the Movie tie-ins’. ‘But lets take a look at the bigger picture, first they are coming in to the blu camp late, so now they have to make selective choices, to catch up, and it seems as if they are going with what did really good on SD and HD in the past. But for those in the industry if you are reading this, this is the general break down

1930’s Universal Horror
Dracula / Frankenstein / Invisible Man / Bride/ Wolfman (this should be a no-brainer with the new version coming out! And Creature from the Black Lagoon Restored/Re-mastered/sound corrected, and if that rumor of the missing footage that was found is true then put it back in and give us the road show version .By all that I mean what WB does in there Ultra- Resolution Process

This is the one series that has constantly made money for the studio and is the most enduring to the fans; give it the right treatment,

Sparatacus, yes I know an HD version was released, but compared to the SD release by Criterion, it is lacking in some additional features. You have one Kubrick title, his fans are rabid to say the least, do this right. Myself included.

And as the joke goes , you have one of the Holy Trilogies, well now that star wars is no longer a trilogy, and neither is Indiana jones then I guess you have it.

Back to the Future, Box Set, and single disc releases, of each film, the sd version was nice, but this set deserves more and with Zemeckis’ involvement would be a way to usher in you new HD format

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That's the feeling I get as well. I'm virtually certain that this is the reason it didn't get announced with the initial slate that included the Mummy movies.

It should be interesting to see how The Incredible Hulk's box office success or lack thereof affects the propsects for Ang Lee's Hulk making it to Blu-ray Disc. If I were a betting man, I'd say The Incredible Hulk is going to tank too, and you'll see both on BD this fall as a result. At that point Universal won't care who is 'confused'. :laugh:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I don't know I think I'm underwhelmed by the whole Format thing. I have about 30 HD-DVD's and about an equal number of Blu Ray, and I've been spending more time of late going back and watching DVD Titles. I'm also converting them over to My Apple TV and to tell you the truth they look pretty dang Spiffy upconverted to 1080p from a good H264 encode, watched Juno the other Night and it looked great, got the DVD for $10, maybe I'll be more enthused on Blu when it hits the same price point. But Maybe not, having my Library available on my Network is proving to be very Enticing.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There are only a few Universal HD-DVD titles that I will replace with Blu-ray because of the lack of lossless audio. I will keep the rest of my Universal HD-DVD's as they are good enough and I do not feel the need to replace them. I am however ready for some new titles from Universal on Blu-ray and will add those to my HD collection as soon as they are released. :D

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

I concur, Universal Horror classics need to be on Blu-ray. The titles would need a trip through Lowry/DTS for cleanup to look truly amazing. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and its sequels need to go wide screen for Blu-ray. Also, THIS ISLAND EARTH should be wide screen and could use something akin to the Ultra-Resolution process to bring back the IB Technicolor look on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks