What's new

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!! First Official News about Indiana Jones!!!!(tomorrow) (1 Viewer)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I'm very excited about this set. The trailer's clarity looked quite good, so that bodes well for the films themselves.

I'm perfectly content with 1 disc of extras. You can fit a lot on 1 disc! I really hope the documentary "Indiana Jones and Real Life Adventurers" (forget the exact title, maybe True Life Adventurers) is on there (I think it was made along with 'Last Crusade'). I have it on VHS somewhere. Doubt it will be, but there is always hope. Anyone else remember this?

As far as the no commentaries go, I still can't understand why so many people are upset/pissed off about it. If Spielberg wants you to watch his film and concentrate on it instead of listening to him/somebody yap along with it, then so be it. If you want to know how it was made, that's what the I'm sure will be outstanding documentary(s) are for. I have no problem with that.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I know at least three people I'm buying this set for for Christmas. Hopefully one of them will buy it for me. Woo hoo!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the extras...people need to remember that longer isn't necessarily better. The quality of extras is what matters. I rather take three hours of quality rather than six hours of fluff. It sounds as if they are going to have real substance in these extras.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I actually crave extras when they pertain to films that are as beloved and remarkable as the INDY films. Three hours of special features is fine by me, as long as they are truly SPECIAL features and not little fluff pieces. That would disappoint me greatly. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Oh, and it will always be just RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK to anyone besides the Luca$flim Marketing Department. Give me a break, Georgie.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
If this box had come out a couple of years ago, it might have been impressive. But alongside stuff like the 4-disc Fellowship of the Rings and even older titles like the Ultimate Toy Box, this looks pretty weak to some of us at The Bits.
I agree Bill! This does seem a bit underwhelming. Don't get me wrong i'm really excited to see these films released finally and will definitely buy and the price is certainly right (Much better than Godfater). If I understand it correctly, there are no supplements on the films (not even a subtitle trivia/commentary track) only the films themselves. All supplements are on disc 4? Since the disc are movie only I could see that they could have at least done a DTS or the subtitle commentary.

However I'm really exicted that Lowry Digital Images is doing the work. I've no doubt that the films will look as pristine and give us a quality that we are expecting and deserve and with the people with Lucasfilm will do an outstanding job on the sound restoration!

Bottom line- I'm looking forward to Novemeber 4th!

David

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
why didn't they just use the umbrella title
The Adventures Of Indiana Jones
and then
-The Raiders Of the Lost Ark
-The Temple Of Doom
-The Last Crusade

instead of that wholly unweidly IJATROTLA

oh well.

anyways, love the brown leathered look of the cases, but i think i will still end up printing my own .
kinda funny to see so many people so excited over material that, if your like me, you've seen dozens upon dozens of times.

for that reason, i would probably be a little more excited if they had come up with some extreme 2 disc , stuffed SE

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I would have thought DTS would have been included, since they're Speilberg films, and that his older films like Jaws and Close Encounters have them, but I guess Lucasfilm and/or Paramount overruled it. Ah well, I'll still buy the box set, Can't wait!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This is indeed great news! Can't wait. Not many of our favorite films and most requested titles are left for a dvd release. Of course there is the greatest films of all time set for a late 2005-early 2006 release in Hi-Def DVD. ;)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I was initially very disappointed in the specs for this set, but now that I actually stop and think about it the only truly glaring omission is DTS. C'mon, did anyone really think the Berg was gonna buckle and do commentaries for all three films? They're his movies, so he's not gonna allow anyone to talk over them. On the plus side though, he also won't allow anyone(even his good buddy, George) to tamper with the FX or edit any scenes. I'll take that trade any day of the week.

Honestly, this set is not too different from the Godfather or BTTF DVDs. It's missing things like commentaries and subtitle trivia tracks, but everything else seems about the same. And unlike BTTF, Paramount, the Berg, and Lucasfilm wisely chose to put all the video-based supplements on a separate 4th disc which means the transfers should have a ton of bitrate all to themselves.

And best of all, we won't have to pay more than 50 bucks for it, which BTW is less than half of what it cost me to get the widescreen LDs off of eBay. In 6 months we'll finally have Indy on DVD! Then we can set our sights on that "other" trilogy which should be surfacing in 3-4 more years.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Here's a report from the Hollywood Reporter:

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...toryID=2687011

Elements slated for the special fourth disc include a documentary crafted by Laurent Bouzereau, who has gone behind the scenes on Lucas projects like "American Graffiti" and such Spielberg projects as "Jaws" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

"The fourth disc explores every facet of how the films were made -- from stunts to visual effects to the music and sound," said Jim Ward, vp of marketing at Lucasfilm. "We take viewers around the world to explore the history behind the 'Indiana Jones' legends."

Ward said that there will be no director's commentary tracks on the three discs containing the films: "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

"We felt that because of bandwidth issues and, more importantly, the amount of information provided on the fourth disc, it would be redundant to include a director's commentary track on the title discs," Ward said.
Interesting. So the lack of commentaries is as much Lucasfilms' doing as it is Speilberg's.

Still, can't go wrong with a Bouzereau doc!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Is there a picture of the front of the box from straight on and not from an angle anyone?

P and SO

Agent
Real Name
Truls
Great news about Laurent Bouzereau doing the docs. Somebody mentioned three hours, which hopefully means an hour per film.

By the way, this page has a few bigger pics of the set.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Including the films, THE ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES – THE COMPLETE DVD MOVIE COLLECTION offers more than 10 hours of entertainment.
So at an average of 2 hours per film, that leaves just over 2 hours of bonus entertainment.

Color me underwhelmed. Yes, I'm excited to finally have the three films on DVD fully restored, but one would expect more than two hours of extras for such landmark motion pictures.

:frowning:

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I am very happy that these movies are finally going to be released on dvd but I am a bit dissapointed.
This just smells reissue in the future when a possible Indiana Jones 4 is being released.
The fact that there are nog commentaries or DTS tracks is also major bomber......

But I will buy them just so that I can play them over and over again in at least digital sound :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited and all, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until reviews come out. Based upon how many wanted releases of older movies have been screwed up in some way or another (BTTF) over the past years. And that this is basically a barebones release (except for a 4th disc). I'm sure we'll see a few more releases:

Special Edition Indiana Jones Collection
Ultimate Edition Indiana Jones Adventures
Paramount Presents the Super Indiana Jones Adventure Collection

etc, etc, etc

Part of me says forget it and just rent them from netflix and keep them for a month or 2 cause I'm tired of being duped into buying sets only to have it get updated a year later or have something wrong with it.

But thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.