What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula SE (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
This is one of my favorite films. I don't know why I don't have the SB. The uncut version would be awesome.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Aside from being quite a bit gorier originally, I THINK I remember reading somewhere that it was once structured more like the book, with time jumping backwards because I think it stayed with Harker and didn't cut back and forth to Mina in London.
And this confused people. I THINK... Been awhile... Anyone know?
:) D
"I have crossed, Oceans of time to find you."

KatieL

Stunt Coordinator
Even with my novice eyes I was instantly sold on the Superbit. I soon replaced my $8 copy. Michael I remember hearing there are over 20 different cuts from broadcast tv versions to NC-17 to X versions. All for many different reasons. There is footage out there. My friends laser has some bonus goodies.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"My favorite bit is where he flubs a reading during rehearsal and he SMACKS his head with his hand multiple times - HARD - and says, "f**cking LINES, MAN!!" Winona just stands there, stunned. Priceless!"

Until Oldman channels that frustration into his performance and with both hands, grabs Ryder's head, and gives a more passionate and emotional and immediate reading of "I love you too much to condemn you" than that seen in the final film.

Oh, yes. I know of what you speak.

Also priceless:

The editing workshop, and multiple Keanu takes of:

"We can be married when I RETURN."

"We CAN be married when I return."

"We can be MARRIED when I return."

Also -- the commentary where Coppola carps about how actresses always say they'll strip down to nothing in auditions, and stand by that, until you get them on the set...and then they start getting modest.

Ah, yes. The Bram Stoker's Dracula Criterion Laserdisc. One of the great ones.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
What's worse is the take where he suddenly starts looking around in the sky as if he just saw a hummingbird, while Mina is speaking to him.

I remember watching that take with my fellow UT grads, thinking - what the HELL is he DOING?

This is one of the cardinal laws of cinema...

Never cast actors with a limited vocal range in period roles, and never cast such actors in roles that require an accent.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
There’re approximately 38 various cuts director Francis Ford Coppola constructed. Since he’s an artist whom has no reservations for revisiting their pervious work – there’s a slight glimmer of hope that one or more of the alternative versions makes its debut on the eventual Blu-ray edition.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Probably exactly why Sony/Columbia hasn't released it yet. I've no love for this slipshod company, that's for sure.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I really enjoy this film. I love the scenes that emulate the old motion picture cameras with the hand crank for determining the frames per second effect.

I'm pretty satisfied with the current SB DVD.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
I loooved this movie when it came out. I remember that a friend of mine, just as the end titles were running, said that the only good thing about the movie was the Annie Lennox's title song. I looked at him thinking he must be joking for I had just seen no less than a masterpiece.
What reminds me that Winona, although it was originally her pet project (she loved the book and got Coppola interested and the studio greenlight thanks to those names attached to it) hated the final result, but couldn't say it in the press junket following the release. She waited a few years (in another press junket) to say what she really thought.
I don't agree. I still think it is one of Coppola's best, and yes, the Lennox song is not bad either:D

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Well, can't really prove it.
I remember it vividly cause it was shocking to me to learn she didn't apreciate her own film.
I'm sure someone else must have heard her opinnions. In later years she didn't hide them, for they could no longer hurt the promotion of the film. Anyone remember?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a rough cut of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA that had quite a bit of alternate footage, including an entirely different ending where (SPOILER FOLLOWS) Mina does not decapitate Dracula. Said rough cut also had the extra bits of gore that were cut to get an R-rating, and it really wasn't a whole lot. There was quite a bit more of the blood flowing in the opening scene after Dracula renounces God (it reminded me of the elevator shot in THE SHINING), and there was a quick shot of the vampire "brides" grabbing the baby that Dracula brings them and running of to the other end of the room and crouching down around it, obviously either eating it or drinking its blood- but it's NOT actually shown, just implied more explicitly than it is in the final film. I think there was another small bit of extra gore, but I can't recall what it was. There were lots of other additional scenes and scene extensions though, but not a whole lot of additional gore.

Also:

"The lasers do not include deleted scenes or cut footage."

Actually, the Criterion disc did include various different rough edits of at least one scene, and some of those rough edits had some additional shots. I haven't had my Criterion LD in ages, but as I recall the scene in question is the one where Dracula turns into a bunch of rats.

Vincent

CraigL

Screenwriter
I have the Criterion disc.

The only extras are:

Making of
Trailer
Editing Suite.

That's it. No deleted scenes.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Vincent is correct about the rough cut of the rat scene. I pulled out the LD a few weeks ago and that rough footage is included in the text diary on the way the film was edited. They created a film of all of the storyboards with narration and as scenes were filmed, they were cut into the storyboard movie.

I'd love to own a special edition DVD!!

CraigL

Screenwriter
Well..i guess I can concede on that point...but...i wouldn't consider some seconds of extra footage as a "deleted scene." :)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I was told that the film was already written and cast and well into pre-production before Coppola came aboard. He wasn't crazy about some of the casting, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks