What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). Need some feedback on this movie (1 Viewer)

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone.

I just got tickets to see this movie. It is being shown at the Miami Film Festival next week.

I have never seen this movie but I have heard good things about it.

The movie is being shown at a classic movie theater down here originally built in 1926. The Gusman Center. It seats about 1500 people and it is beautiful. Red curtains, balconies, the works.

Alright guys (and girls). Give it up and give me some feedback so I can get psyched.

Thank you.

Carlos

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a while since I've seen it; but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It enticed me to read the original and found the movie stayed relatively close to the source. It has just the right amount of sexual energy that the story demands without turning into a t&a fest, although I suspect others might disagree. I recall a number of very interesting visual effects. These weren't digital effects but camera tricks that made you unsure of what you were seeing and helped to unsettle you. You will have to decide on the acting; but I found it at least adequate; but I think others will not be so kind. It is not a perfect movie by any means; but if I were you I'd be psyched indeed. Have fun!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A must see!

Very powerful movie. Not without a few (very few!) weak points, but over all strong story telling, generally very good acting and a visual feast.

Don't hesitate!

BTW the DVD is excellent too!

Cees

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well.
Hmmm.
OK, here goes:
Despite a handful of truly uproariously funny moments (of the unintentional sort), Bram Stoker's Dracula has several positive things going for it.
For fans of the source material, this version strives to remain faithful to Shelley's work. For the most part, it succeeds quite well.
Visually, this one is a treat. Coppola pulls out all the stops and delivers a movie that's simply gorgeous to look at, plus several of the creepier scenes are delivered in a decidedly clever style. (The use of shadows is particularly wonderful in this movie.)
The cast, while chock-full of familiar faces, is a mixed bag at best: Winona Ryder seems somewhat lost amidst the proceedings, and Keanu Reeves is the epitome of "bad". Several of the actors seem to be having a GREAT time, most notably Anthony Hopking and Tom Waits, with a gaggle of likable character actors in the background, including Cary Elwes, Sadie Frost, Richard E. Grant and Monica Bellucci as an evil naked succubus. Gary Oldman portrays the count in manic style, and wait until you see his hair!
While much of BSD is overwrought and downright silly at times, the movie as a whole has enough good points to earn a visit. There are several accurate ways to criticize this movie, but it's certainly not "boring".
Plus the movie theater you're going to sounds like Heaven on Earth. Have a great time.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Scott,
I thought the original Dracula novel was written by Bram Stoker, not Mary Shelley, hence the title of the movie trying to tell us the film would be more faithful to the book than previous Dracula efforts.
Same thing with the Frankenstein film Branagh directed entitled Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, a film also associated with Coppola as it was produced by American Zoetrope.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
D'oh! Yeah, I just messed up on the author's name, which is truly bizarre seeing as how the correct author's name is used in the film's title!.
I will leave my brainfart unedited as a testament to how certain substances really do damage your short-term memory.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
HOLY!
I got a response for the first time by the famous (or is it infamous:)) Cees Alons.
I feel privileged.
Cees, what ever hapened to that picture you used to have in your signature?
BTW, thanks for your input on the film. I really appreciate it.
Carlos

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you too Scott. You are not chopped liver. But your Philadelphia Eagles will be CHOPPED LIVER tomorrow vs. the Rams.:D
Just kidding. I actually want the Eagles to win. I like rooting for the underdog. Good luck tomorrow. And again, thank you very much for your feedback on the movie. It was very thorough. Thank you for talking the time to respond.
And special thanks for telling me that there will be female nudity in the movie. Schwang :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Keanu Reeves acting and accent is dead on for where the film is set.
Thank you. I'm glad everyone doesn't kick him around all the time. I think Keanu has his moments, and I think the good outweighs the bad. He is a great action hero, but before that, he proved himself with comedies and dramas that I can still watch today. Sure, there are definitely places he shouldn't be, just as it is with any number of actors.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is a worthy film with a compelling cast, sexy delivery, and vivid visual style that should be quite riveting on a big screen. I wish I could go.
Now there is a Superbit DVD out, which I do not have. Any thoughts?

DanR

Supporting Actor
Great movie, wonderfully crafted and acted. I like just about everything about this movie, and specially want to note Gary Oldman who is sensational in this role.

The SuperBit DVD is a must own in my opinion. There simply is detail and depth in the picture that is not there on the previous version (though the previous version was really good too). The audio track is very nice and is even up there with some of today's 5.1 tracks.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I like the movie. Having watched it, I'm always left with the sense it's a lovely nod to the style of classic hammer movies in a gloriously lavish tone (lovely texture of blood in this movie :) ). Absolutely not without its faults, but it had enough charms to keep me interested, most notably how well it stuck to the source material and the perfomances from Oldman and Hopkins, who are always good.
I should add what without this movie we whould have never been granted that genius segment of a simpsons Halloween episode with Mr Burns done up as the Oldman incarnation of Dracula. :)
"you still have your finger on the button, sir!"
"Oh, SON OF A BITCH!"
Dan (UK)
PS: The movie carries a superb brooding score which I am very fond of. Often you'll have heard one of the themes in movie trailers, the trailers from the two Mummy movies spring to mind as recent examples.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Ahhh, one of my reference titles!
It's great, but on some things it's very good; on others it's dreadful.
The overall look of the film is pre-Raphaelite with jewel-tone colors and classic staging to make the film feel as though it was made in its historical setting. At one point Coppola even makes a brief scene appear to be an antique clip to reinforce the feeling. The single most wonderful part of the film design is that all visual effects were done in camera. While some effects appear obvious, the lush color and high-quality of the cinematography only enhance their effect. The whole film feels as if it was shot at the turn of the 20th century but with modern technology.
The aural effects are splendid and the surrounds are nearly always in use with eerie sounds. Despite its age and technical simplicty I always audition audio equipment with this DVD. Sometimes the subtle tells you more than the bombastic.
Some of the acting and directing are pefect to the point of ballet. Lucy's descent into the crypt is a scene which, to me, appears perfectly shot. All queues, all movements, all sounds, all gestures, perfectly put together. Loop it for a few dozen times and you'll see what I mean.
Acting is a mixed bag. Some, like Oldman, Hopkins, Waits, and Frost are great and believable. They seem to have a lot of fun with it and their accents are realistic. The rest of the cast however borders on the ridiculous. I have never seen a strong Jonathan Harker portrayed in any Dracula version but Reeves is just awful. His indeterminate English accent is a travesty ("Byoo-kaveena" indeed :thumbsdown: ) but fortunately he looks stoned most of the time so you can watch the lovely ladies playing around with Hopkins and Oldman. Ryder isn't terrible but she too seems to have gone to the Masterpiece Theater school of accent affectation. While not awful she doesn't feel at home in the role; as if she's acting like someone acting like Mina Murray. She's not at all scary when vampirism comes over her. Poor Carey Elwes is left with flimsy dialog and spends the movie looking like a deer caught in headlights; he's eye candy and nothing else.
All in all this movie is great fun and the feel of it is like nothing else I've seen made since the silent era. Well worth a buy and a good cuddle on a cold autumn night.
Thanks!
Jason

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Chris, maybe I should have put the ;) smiley in there. I was kidding but I don't think it's a bad movie by any means. It does have its moments.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Ah, the Superbit DVD. One word: AMAZING
Very good flick. Gotta love the nudie scenes too!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
One of Coppola's best efforts. He sets out for a style and tone of the story and nails it down. It feels very storybook while also being almost 1930ish. So many great uses of models, mattes, etc, etc. The list of visual treats goes on for miles, and it's not just eye candy, it's imagery to tell the story.

Some of the acting is outstanding: Oldman, Waits and Hopkins spring to mind.

Reeves comes off a bit stiff, but I think it's one of his better efforts.

Good score.

Great action/horror/romance film. A terrific film adaptation of the book and one of my more favorite films period.

I LOVE the final chase scenes, that really has a storybook feel to it. It's a great use of sets not unlike in Bride of Frankenstien, where you want them to seem unreal rather than real.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A beautifully designed and shot dramatically unsatisfying mis-step. Moreso than the complaints about Keanu, the characters that keep the film from becoming what it could have been are Anthony Hopkins' Van Helsing and Winona Ryder's Mina. Van Helsing is played far too broadly, which I lay firmly at Coppola's feet (Hopkins is certainly capable of underplaying when asked), and Mina's character is ultimately so unconflicted towards the film's end, that it sabotages the drama -- a problem with the adaptation and the script. There is no question that it looks stunning, though, and is worth a look on the big screen, if possible.

Tom Waits was born to play Renfield.

Regards,

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Lots of good things can be said about the movie (though not Keanu, who is painfully awful). But those of us who adore Winona treasure it for the sequence in which she's running down a flight of steps in her nightie. Oy! :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nick_S, yes a smiley or wink would be very appropriate. I couldn't believe you actually said it seriously (or so I thought).
Come on, I'm not a Keanu basher, but in this movie he is pretty bad. I enjoyed Speed & Matrix. But this one...urk! I can't wait to visit Bee-You-Da-Pest someday, though. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks