What's new

"Brady Bunch" Season 1 Release Date: March1, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That review is very encouraging. I usually don't care about extras, but it'll be great having Pete, Greg and Cindy doing commentary on a pair of episodes. It's gonna be great!

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I didnt mind the first season so much. It had its funny moments, but after that it was just too unreal. Even for the sixties. The Partridge Family acted much more like a real family (aside from the music part) and they were rotten to each other like normal families. lol

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Well, if I were Paramount and your post caused a bunch of people to cancel their preorders I'd be pissed. If I had cancelled a preorder due to your post and then found out the truth, and had to pay more for the set I'd be pissed. Sorry, but this isn't a subject to be joked about these days, at least not around here.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I have to say, I'm not laughing, either.

Pointless and unfunny.

The forums are a great resource for information on DVD releases. Posts like yours undermine the value of this place - it makes people think twice about posts that are valid. Purposefully spreading mis-information serves no purpose here.

-Scott

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In the spirit of Dave's post:

:angry: I'm sooo mad! I have it on good authority that they have digitally altered Mike's hair so he will now have his 'fro in the early seasons! Who can we contact about this? :angry:

;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, not funny. :thumbsdown:

This is a forum where people post information about dvds. Posting blatantly false information is a really bad "practical joke" in my opinion. Even on April 1 (when it's inevitable), it's stupid. On other days, it's really in bad taste.

I was waiting for verification, but had essentially crossed this off my to buy list based on what I thought was at least honest information. Sometimes the rumors around here turn out to be inaccurate, but at least they're not usually bald-faced lies. :frowning:

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I think I have some explaining to do and apologies to give.
I'm not usually the kind of guy to kiss up to people or back down and beg for forgiveness, but in this case I was definitely wrong and I owe you guys a very sincere apology. I'm sorry for any trouble I may have caused.:frowning:

I thought it would be funny and I wouldn't have let it go on past Saturday afternoon. It's usually slower around here on the weekends so I didn't think it would be seen by a lot of people. I still think it's a fairly funny post but I realize there isn't as much room for joking on certain subjects here. In hindsight, it wasn't the best subject material for a joke. I figured that some would catch on by my wording. The "still smarting after" part specifically.

I realize it was a mistake and I shouldn't have posted it without a wink or an immediate second post letting everyone in on the joke. I hope there are no hard feelings and that everyone takes me seriously on subjects in the future. Believe it or not, I'm actually a fairly intelligent guy that tries to stay well-informed but I have a propensity for pulling fairly elaborate practical jokes on my friends. I'll admit, pulling a short prank by posting a false piece of information on a message board is a new experience for me. Not a good idea.

After all the discussion of music issues lately, I figured I would try and inject some humor into the subject. I comment and complain about replacement music issues as much as anyone. It's an issue that has really cut into my DVD purchases. It has hurt DVD for all of us and I take it very seriously. I'm a purist on this issue and some of you may feel the same way and some of you probably think purists like myself are nuts.

I don't typically get scoops before people like David, Gord, Pavan, or many, many others here, but I hope in the event that I do, you guys will take me seriously. I hope in the future that none of you think of me as the boy that cried wolf. I am truly sorry.

Jeff,

I'll admit, in hindsight the post was a mistake and I shouldn't have done it that way. Although, I hope that no one out there would ever consider canceling a pre-order based on one message board post by a guy with no link or corroborating evidence. Everyone should check for links and supporting sources when an important issue comes up. Looking back, I'll admit that my post was done in an irresponsible manner(no wink). This is a board that many across the Internet look to for good information. No hard feelings, I hope.:)

Scott,

I thought the post was funny when I did it. I still think it would make a good April Fool's joke but I realize this was a bad idea and I should have used a wink at the bottom or not posted it at all. I'm fully aware of the value of HTF. I've found this to be one of the most informative boards I've ever come across. It was never my intent to spread false information or undermine the purpose of this board. I hope that you'll take me seriously in the future as well. No hard feelings, I hope.:)

George,

I realize that this is a forum for DVDs or I wouldn't be here. I hope I didn't cause you any problems but I would never remove from or add something to my purchase list based on one guy's post with no source. I do understand what you mean though. When I first read your post, I thought you were being a little harsh and I was ready to come back and argue your categorization of my post as bald-faced lies and being in bad taste. I changed my mind because I realize that most jokes around here don't go this far and my original post does read in a more serious tone than I intended, so you're right. I figured you guys would catch me fairly quickly by the "still smarting after" part and by the fact that I had no source. I remember your posts in the Quantum Leap thread and you probably remember mine(I think we hold similar views on this issue) so I can see how you would take me at my word as I would take you at your word. I hope you take me seriously from here on out. No hard feelings, I hope.:)

Greg and Rob,

Thanks for the laughs and not being too tough on my attempt at humor.:)

I would advise any of you out there to never take a single, undocumented source as gospel. You never know if the person is honest, a liar, or in my case, pulling a practical joke. Trust me, I'll never post a practical joke like this again. In my next attempt, I think I'll just try something simple like sending some of you to Circuit City for that store-exclusive, original music version of the Quantum Leap second season set.;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
At least I stopped and asked what the source of the info was.

What if some eager DVD news site person, anxious to "scoop" everyone else, just ran a story about this based on your post? It would be irresponsible of them, sure, not to double-check the info before publishing it on their site. Nevertheless, if they did just go ahead with it (much like CBS News did with the now-infamous "Bush was AWOL, and we've got the letters from his CO to prove it" story), you would be laughing your ass off...but anyone who read and trusted that site would be getting screwed over with wrong info. And then, inevitably, other sites would relay the story.

Yep, REALLY funny at that point, as thousands of disappointed fans decided not to buy the set or to even spend time and energy and maybe money on complaining to the studio about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dave Farley, your last post much have been made which I was still composing my post just below it.

I stand by my point, which is the sort of thing you didn't address much in your post. But apology accepted, at least on my part. As long as you've learned your lesson, that is!

PLEASE don't do that any more. You wasted about an hour of my time before I posted my "Source?" question, while I tried to go to every DVD news site I could think of, every Brady Bunch fansite I could find, read every review I could locate, and do a lot of Googling in general while I tried to figure out where the heck you had come across this info (I took it for granted you didn't have the release itself).

My time could DEFINITELY have been better spent!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know if you saw Dave's post above yours, but about all he can do at this point is say he's sorry. I'm willing to accept that and just go forward from there.

Edit: Now I posted before reading your last one. :)

I did some of the same things you did, David--hitting Sitcoms Online, DVDTalk and some other places known for getting the scoops. Not finding anything, I basically figured I'd just wait to hear some confirmation, and just live with the change if it was legit.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
David,

As I said, I apologize. Your post above is correct. It was a bad idea by me and I have no defense. I do feel that it would be irresponsible journalism for someone to take my post or one like it and run with it with no link or trusted source, but in the end, it would be my fault and a stupid move on my part. I would deserve all the blame.

I do disagree with one thing you posted. I wouldn't laugh if someone had scooped it and used it as news. Not in the least. I'm not that kind of a guy despite whatever you choose to believe after this. I'd be moving my ass to try and get it corrected and let everyone know I was to blame, full of shit, the cause of the problem, and deserving of all the blame. I would apologize as I have done and make a post on every board that took up the subject. I may have pulled a joke but I'm still a man that takes responsibility if I do something foolish.

I've learned a lesson here today and I hope you have no hard feelings toward me and can forgive and forget eventually. I hope everyone here can do that. I hope in the future that you and everyone else will take me seriously as I won't pull a joke like this one again. I'm a proud man but I'll admit when I've done something wrong or stupid.

Trust me, if I ever post a scoop here in the future, I'll provide a source. If I have no source, I'll say that it is just rumor at this point. If I ever send you or Gord a scoop, I hope that you'll believe me as I won't post any BS like that one above in the future.

I have a sense of humor and like to kid around, so I'm not going to become a closed-mouth dork here in the future, but you can count on the fact that if I tell a joke, I'll use the right smiley or make it clear I'm kidding. I will stick to posting facts and sound opinion when appropriate.;)

Dave Farley

Second Unit

Thanks, Greg. Sorry if I caused you any trouble over this. I know you're a fan of this show as am I. I hope you don't look at me as someone who can't be believed or as someone who should be ignored on this board because they tried to be funny and posted some BS.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I really am sorry guys. I hope you don't hold this against me. Neither of you probably know me well enough to have had much of an opinion of me before today. I hope in the end, you guys realize I'm sorry and don't use today to form an opinion of me.

You're right, David, I didn't address that aspect in my post. I agree with what you said though. Last night, I didn't even think of the time it would take to hunt down verification on something like this. It didn't hit me until that afternoon that my post wasn't that clearly written as a joke. That was stupid of me and I should have looked ahead. Considering that you and Gord specialize in this subject and often get information from inside sources and posts on message boards, I should have thought of this, not only for the two of you, but everyone else out there.

Greg,

I really am sorry for wasting your time. I'm sorry you had to use time chasing down info based on BS that I posted. You're actually one of the first people I spoke to around here in PMs, so I hope this doesn't cause you to develop a negative opinion of me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I figure anyone who is as opposed to the QL S2 music changes as I am can't be all bad and deserves a little leeway when he screws up. :)

One good thing came out of it, anyway. Someone posted the link to that early review, and it sounds like a great set. Until reading the review, I had no idea the cover was going to be lenticular, with the Brady kids actually looking in different directions like on the show. That is completely cool. Plus, we get the oft-missing In Color card. Assuming the individual keepcase art is as clever as in the Andy Griffith set, it sounds like an all-around great job by Paramount.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As I said, apology accepted on my part. No hard feelings.

As News Director at TSoD, I've often had people send me info that sounded accurate, I knew in my heart was probably true, but was completely unverifiable. I had to pass until I could get independent confirmation. The folks who write in don't understand why I have to do that. This is a good example of why, frankly.

In fact, I've let a couple of things get through without my having checked them out thoroughly enough. I got burned on those and had to apologize to my readers. So I've learned my lesson the hard way, too.

People even send me covers that they say they "found on the internet", but don't say where, and the studio hasn't posted them. I have to assume someone photoshopped them in their spare time if I can't get a verifiable source to tell me they're the real deal!

So, if nothing else - and if you don't mind, Dave - I may have to point to this as an example to those people who get upset and ask "don't you trust me?" Uh, I'd like to, but these days you just never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks